Agent of Change by Sharon Lee

Agent of Change (original 1988; edition 2011)

by Sharon Lee (Author), Steve Miller (Author), Andy Caploe (Narrator)

A Matter of Oaths by Helen S. Wright (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Fun, character-driven space opera.

Interesting world & great protagonists. I look forward to reading more of this series! ( )
  leslie.98 | Feb 20, 2017 |
Read this in two nights, two very intense, disregard for all around me, two nights. Here is my freak out review on my blog Thank the Maker http://www.girlsguidetoscifi.blogspot.ca/2013/04/addiction-thy-name-is-liaden-re...
  HollyBest | Jun 9, 2016 |
  Girlscifi | Jan 16, 2016 |
As a work of romance, this is superior--as a work of science fiction, mediocre. Which I guess says something about my taste in genres. I do love romance, but not the romance genre. I love *stories* with an element of romance--I do--it's my literary comfort food. But I love great science fiction even more--ones with great world building or ideas or characters--think Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein, Herbert, Card. The "turtle clutch" are interesting aliens and the Liaden an interesting culture. Or at least entertaining, but not thought-provoking. Nor is the style great--and there's lots of mind-hopping, a habit I find annoying. Nothing here is going to spark your imagination or lifts this above say Star Trek. But you know, I like Star Trek. I got this book and Fledgling, another in the series as a free download from Tor. I liked this enough I'm starting Fledgling. I don't like it enough I can see buying more in the series--despite this ending something of a cliffhanger. ( )
1 vote LisaMaria_C | Nov 25, 2015 |
Agent of Change by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller is the first Liaden Universe book that I have read. I can assure you now that it won’t be the last. This is a science fiction story that is very easy to comprehend and enjoy. I immediately felt a connection with the two main characters, Val Con and Miri, and enjoyed the time spent in each of their heads. This is a very fast moving, action adventure story, and as we get to know these characters, they are getting to know each other so it comes as no surprise to any of us that while fighting off Juntavas mobsters, Yxtrang pirates and other general forces, that they fall in love.

As well as delivering some excellent characters to root for, the authors also supplied a tightly woven plot that managed to offer tantalizing glimpses of this universe and the many varied settings that may be used in the future. There are a few observations of the complicated social system that Liandens adhere to that I hope is further developed in future books. Of course, no review would be complete without a nod of delight in the direction of the benevolent turtles whose very presence escalated this book a notch.

As these books were written back in the 1980’s, one of the fun things is how the technology of the future was envisioned and the result was at times almost humorous, an example of this is the fact that characters were still wearing framed eyeglasses and reading still entailed opening an actual book. I found Agent of Change highly readable, almost addictive and I look forward to my next venture into the Liaden Universe. ( )
2 vote DeltaQueen50 | Aug 8, 2015 |

Lee, SharonAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miller, SteveAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Caploe, AndyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Herring, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hickman,StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441009913, Mass Market Paperback)

Fleeing the scene of his latest mission, Val Con yos'Phelium finds himself saving the life of ex-mercenary Miri Robertson, a young Tarren on the run from interplanetary assassins. Thrown together by circumstances, Val Con and Miri struggle to elude their enemies and stay alive without slaying each other-or surrendering to the unexpected passion that flares between them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:44 -0400)

Sharon Lee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,232,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible