Balance of Trade by Sharon Lee

It's some centuries after Cantra yos'Phelium and Tor An yos'Galen lead the great migration from humanity's previous home universe. Jethri Gobelyn is a young trader, living and working on his family's ship, Gobelyn's Market. He knows a little bit about all the different areas he needs to know as a trader, and is learning more--including about the Liadens. He's even learning the Liaden language

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. His knowledge of Liadens is just enough to get him in a major tangle that leads learning a lot more about Liadens.

And about his deceased father. And about himself.

But most of all, he's off on a great adventure.

This is a great look at the Liaden culture, at a point when they're well established but not yet what they'll be in later ages. Jethri is a a great character, smart, curious, well-intentioned, and a lot more naive than he thinks he is. He's also finding out that all ships, and all families, have secrets, and they aren't always harmless.

We also another look at Uncle and at the "old tech" he's so involved with in later ages--and why that "old tech" is so dangerous.

Lots of fun. Recommended.

I bought this book. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
Balance of Trade by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. This is a Liaden Universe novel set in a time when Terrans and Liadens are still working out how to live together. This is mostly about a coming of age of Jethri Gobelyn who is about to be sent from his home family trading starship to another which specialises in mineral ores before events happen to change his path. All families have secrets, and some have more interesting secrets than others. I found it to be an interesting story with foreshadowing of future events. ( )
  John_T_Stewart | Jun 22, 2018 |
This entry in the Liaden series takes place earlier than the other books I have read. I enjoyed young Jethri Gobelyn and look forward to discovering some of the mystery that surrounds his background in futher books! ( )
  leslie.98 | May 4, 2018 |
When I added this to my list of book I thought I'd read it and didn't think it was that good. But this weekend, looking for something to read I grabbed it by accident and read it "again". Only it wasn't again it was for the first time.

It was a pretty good book. At least average for the Liaden books of Miller and Lee, which are some of my favorite books of all time, so that makes it better than most book.

If you are new to the Liadian books I wouldn't say read this first. The core novels are the best. But this book does teach you a lot about Liadians from an Terran young person's POV. Of course so does [book:Agent of Change] and [book:Conflict of Honors].

It takes place before the core books [books:Partners In Necessity] and the first prequels [book:Local Custom] and after the origin books, [book:Crystal Solider] and [book:Crystal Dragon]. So you get a view of Liadians before they've figured as much out.

The story centers around a young spacer teen, who gets apprenticed out to a Liadian Master Trader. He has to deal with a new culture, a new ship and even planet based life for the first time. He was born and raised on a space ship and never spent much time on planets. Especially, it turns out, outside under the open sky.

Unlike almost all the the other Liadian books, this one isn't a romance, but more a coming of age story.

The characters are great. The prose a also well done. Nobody does the texture of culture better than Lee and Miller and this book is no exception.

The only quibble I had with the book is it seemed to end abruptly. Seemed we didn't get to the all of the main character's life, or even enough. ( )
  rondavis | Apr 18, 2018 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.tumblr.com by express permission of this reviewer. Title: Balance of Trade Series: Liaden Universe Author: Sharon Lee & Steve Miller Rating: 4.5 of 5 Stars Genre: SF Pages: 670 Synopsis: Jethri, young spaceborn Terran, is hated by his mother and she wants him gone. In one of those upsets of circumstances, Jethri is taken as a new apprentice, on a Liaden ship. Adopted as the new heir of the Captain, Jethri is plunged into the Liaden world, filled with Honor, Melanti, and pitfalls he has no idea even exist. Thankfully, he acquires allies who help him as he in turn helps them. My Thoughts: As with previous Liaden novels, I simply loved this. I cannot pin down exactly what Lee & Miller do to make me love their books, but it hasn't failed yet. One thought that did strike me was how much this reminded of "Jane Austen.....In Space!" The light romance touches, the family/clan drama, it just struck as Austen-lite and I really liked it. This story follows a different Liaden clan from the former books and I am glad of that. It actually follows a Terran who is becoming Liaden. So everything is from Jethri's viewpoint. I am glad to have read the previous Liaden books, as it gave me a background that helped me know pieces that weren't obvious. Everything that characterized the former books was here as well. It does end incomplete, but not a cliffhanger. Looking forward to the next book immeasurably. I wonder how long I can drag it out before I HAVE to read it? *grin* " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Lee, Sharonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miller, Stevemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Collins, Kevin T.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giancola, DonatoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murphy, KevinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pagel, StephenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Down all that long, weary shift, they kept after Byl," Khat's voice was low and eerie in the dimness of the common room.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044101397X, Mass Market Paperback)

Terran Jethri Gobelyn suddenly faces the opportunity-and the risk-of his young life when he's apprenticed to a Liaden ship and becomes a pawn in a game that may destroy all he holds dear.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:14 -0400)

Assistant Trader Jethri Gobelyn was an honest, hardworking young man who knew a lot about living onboard his family's space-going trade ship; something about trade, finance, and risk-taking; and a little bit about Liadens. It was, oddly enough, the little bit he knew about Liadens that seemed like it might be enough to make his family's fortune, and his own, too. In short order, however, Jethri Gobelyn was about to find out a lot more about Liadens...like how far they might go to protect their name and reputation. Like the myriad of things one might say-intentionally or not-with a single bow. Like what it would take to make a Liaden trade-ship crew trash a bar. Like how hard it is to say "I'm sorry!" in Liaden. Pretty soon it was clear that as little as he knew about Liadens, he knew far less about himself. With his very existence a threat to the balance of trade, Jethri Gobelyn needed to learn fast, or else help destroy all he held dear.… (more)

Sharon Lee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,440,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible