Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat

Never Cry Wolf (original 1963; edition 1983)

by Farley Mowat

1,864473,709 (4.1)1 / 242
Member:AHS-Wolfy
Title:Never Cry Wolf
Authors:Farley Mowat
Info:Bantam USA (1983), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 176 pages
Tags:Natural History, Wolves, 1010CC

Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat (1963)

Recently added byeppp, cmbohn, TheNextR, cadolph, boulderlibrary, private library, MabeeClan, Kindleifier

English (45)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All (47)
I abandoned Never Cry Wolf for a few reasons. First is that I don’t like Farley Mowat. He’s basically a self-aggrandizing asshat. Bad attitude in general. Poor scientific method. False modesty. Lack of emotional control. So between that and the lies of omission in this book I think I’m giving it up even though the wolves themselves are pretty great (if, in fact, they did exist and do what Mowat claims they did). Since I love wolves I think I’ll try to find a better book about them, their conservation and their importance as apex predators. Plus I have some as neighbors so I want to get to know them.
  Bookmarque | Apr 19, 2017 |
How did I fail to read this book before now? Certainly I knew of it and that there was controversy about whether it was factual. But somehow I had neglected actually cracking open the pages. When I saw that it was one of the Canadian audiobooks my library's streaming service was highlighting for this special birthday year I decided it was time to remedy my dereliction.

Mowat tells a story of his journey on behalf of the Canadian Wildlife Service to study wolves in the subarctic and their responsibility for the cataclysmic fall in the number of caribou. Contrary to the then current thinking he found that the wolf pack he studied rarely killed caribou and instead much of their diet was small mammals such as mice and lemmings. He discovered that trappers and hunters were responsible for the slide in caribou numbers. He also saw that the family life of the wolf was quite social. There was a bachelor male who acted as "uncle" to the wolf cubs in addition to the mother and father. As well other wolves came to visit, something that astounded Mowat but was treated as commonplace by the resident Inuit. His book turned public opinion in favour of wolves and changed management practices such as offering bounties for wolves which resulted in wholescale poisoning of wolf packs (plus other animals).

If you read (or listen to) this book as a fictionalized amalgam of many researchers' findings written in a humourous and entertaining fashion in order to make a point then you will get out of it what Mowat wanted you to. On the other hand if you want every word to be true then you will be disappointed because, although Mowat did go to the north on a similar study, he did not go alone and he employs hyperbole with a heavy hand. ( )
  gypsysmom | Feb 26, 2017 |
Small book, easy read. Wolves are not bad. ( )
  ramon4 | Dec 5, 2016 |
I read this long time ago - not too long after the movie, I think. I do recall I liked it. Probably should read it again. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This book made me an advocate for all wildlife. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
For Angeline - the Angel!
It is a long way in time and space from the bathroom of my Grandmother Mowat's house in Oakville, Ontario, to the bottom of a wolf den in the Barren Lands of central Keewatin, and I have no intention of retracing the entire road which lies between.
The caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf who keeps the caribou strong.

More than a half-century ago the Canadian Wildlife Service assigned the naturalist Farley Mowat to investigate why wolves were killing arctic caribou. Mowat's account of the summer he lived in the frozen tundra alone-studying the wolf population and developing a deep affection for the wolves (who were of no threat to caribou or man) and for a friendly Inuit tribe known as the Ihalmiut ("People of the Deer")-is a work that has become cherished by generations of readers, an indelible record of the myths and magic of wild wolves.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:34 -0400)

A biologist's official mission to study wolves turns up many unusual facts about their pattern of living.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,844,640 books! | Top bar: Always visible