New Dawn on Rocky Ridge by Roger Lea…
Recently added bydafinker, lmross, LBA-Library, private library, Bakkerhome, aholsonback, PWSLibrary, Aerin1, aBarbL, bsrich

Copy & Pasted from my Livejournal:
So when I was a child I was a huge fan of the Little House on the Prarie book series. Laura Ingalls Wilder had the coolest life, and I wouldn't have minded being just like her and working hard all day if that meant that I could see real Indians and travel the country. Her Ma was always sweet and wise and her Pa was the manliest man ever who could survive a blizzard, negotiate with Indians, save the family from drowning in a rapidly rising river and walk thousands of miles to work in another man's fields, just to feed his family. Chuck Norris has nothing on Pa.

So, while I was in junior high Roger Lea MacBride started publishing the sequel series focusing on Laura's daughter, Rose. I was pretty good about reading that for a year or two - until the third or fourth volume came out - and then forgot about the series until I rediscovered it sometime last year. I've been working on getting the rest of it through Bookmooch and Paperbackswap.

So I was reading the sixth book in the series, when Rose is about fifteen years old, and just finished the chapter where Pa Ingalls is dying. It made me cry a bit, and at first I was embarrassed about it because come on I'm how old now? Crying over a character in a book? (Although I do that a lot. I'm a wimp, alright?) But then my brain countered with Well, he's not just a character in a book because PA INGALLS WAS A REAL AMERICAN HERO ON THE FRONTIER, YA'LL which my devil advocate-self cheerfully countered with the fact that Laura Ingalls Wilder died in 1957 so I'm a little late in my grief.
After some more thought I decided that it was OK to be sad because Pa was one of those childhood hero types, that always seemed so strong and reliable. The fact that he was a real person who did all those brave things made him all the more amazing. So since he was someone I admired then it's OK to feel sad when reading about his last illness and death, especially since a lot of the sorrow comes from Laura's mourning for the loss of her father. It's always sad when a daughter loses her father, right?

Anyway, great book. MacBride did a really great job of continuing the Little House series, and the fact that this book had such an emotional impact on me seems proof of his success. ( )
  makaiju | Nov 23, 2007 |
I have mixed feelings about this book, the sixth volume of Little House: The Rose Years series. (It used to be called The Rocky Ridge years until they decided to make the Little House spin-offs span five generations.) In it our heroine, Rose Wilder, becomes a teenager. She's moody, rebellious, and generally not as lovable as the Rose of years gone by. The minor characters have also changed. You see less of the friends and neighbors from Rocky Ridge farm and more of the townfolk of Mansfield, Missouri. The town seems to have a greater percentage of jerks than the surrounding countryside. On the plus side, Rose steps aside for a couple of chapters as the story follows her mother Laura (confusingly called Mama) as she travels back to South Dakota to visit her parents and sisters. Technically, it's bad storytelling to change the focus like that. But since my interest in the series stems from my enjoyment of the original Little House books, the two chapter departure only seems good and right. Anyway, when one follows a series, you have to be a bit more tolerant of volumes that aren't quite as good as the rest, so I'd have to advise folks to check this one out.
--J. ( )
  Hamburgerclan | Nov 11, 2006 |

It’s a big year for thirteen-year-old Rose and her family as they witness the turn of the century and, after years of hard work, experience their first apple harvest out on Rocky Ridge farm. And as her feelings for Paul grow stronger, there are even signs of romance in the air for Rose. It’s a time for new beginnings in New Dawn on Rocky Ridge, the sixth book in the Rocky Ridge series continuing the story that Laura Ingalls Wilder told of her own childhood, a story that has charmed generations of readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:34 -0400)

While living on the Rocky Ridge Farm in Missouri, thirteen-year-old Rose Wilder celebrates the turn of the twentieth century and begins to wonder about her future.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,653,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible