Beautiful Lies by Jessica Warman

Beautiful Lies

by Jessica Warman

Alice and Rachel are twins, monochorionic and monoamniotic twins. They share so close a bond that when one disappears the other feels, right away, that something is wrong and when she starts experiencing physical trauma that she can’t account for, it accelerates her desire to find out what’s happening to her sister.

A few chapters into Beautiful Lies, Jessica Warman throws in a little twist and I had to re-read the earlier chapters to see if there were flags that indicated what was going on. The narrative is written in first person and a little further into the story I realized that the narrator is unreliable. I was not prepared for the unraveling of the mystery that happened after!

I would like to elaborate, but it’s difficult to review this story because I don’t want to spoil any parts. I can say this though, there is an unreliable narrator, twins who look so identical that even their family can’t tell them apart and a mystery that kept me turning the pages well into the wee hours of the morning. The tale that Warman weaves is tangled and complex, I wasn’t sure what to trust and what to believe. The ending, what a fabulous ending!

I know that some might be frustrated with this book - mostly because of the unreliability of the narrator - however, I thought that it was brilliantly written and fully engrossing and I found the fact that I wasn’t certain about what to believe and what not to believe added another layer of mystery to the novel. Warman did a great job in keeping the mystery thrilling by dropping little hints, enough to keep you guessing but never enough to give it all away.

The story stayed with me long after I was finished; I was not prepared for the way it gripped me nor the way it ended.

[Review of ARC from BEA]
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
Beautiful lies is indeed a beautiful story! Though I found it very common and have watched and read it several times. The story is about the identical twins who have psychological connection with each other. Well, I really thought I will found this book predictable but I am wrong! This story has great flow of the story on which still makes me curious about what will happen next. I loved this book! Thanks Jessica Warman for sharing your talents. ( )
  CristinaAllen | Mar 9, 2016 |
Wow! I did not see that ending coming! ( )
  slsmitty25 | Feb 11, 2015 |
See the full review at Short & Sweet Reviews.

Beautiful Lies is a book where discussing even the most basic elements of the plot can be a potential spoiler-filled landmine, so this review is going to have to be vague. Rachel and Alice are, of course, identical twins with a bond that goes deeper than just being siblings. They have what one of the twins calls a psychic link, which becomes important as the story goes on. And Rachel and Alice, for as similar as they look, are also hiding some secrets of their own, which unfold in dramatic form as the search gets more and more desperate.

This book is definitely more than it seems on the surface. I had expected a mystery, given that this is a story about an abduction and the race to find the missing twin. What I hadn't expected was a book permeated with an eerie, overwhelming sense of dread. I mean that in the best possible way, too! I love a good thriller, and from the very start of the book, you are left wondering what's going to happen, when the other shoe's going to drop, and hoping that everything is going to be okay. Warman is excellent at crafting a world where you don't know what's true and what isn't, which really helped keep me guessing the whole time. There are a lot of red herrings and clues you realize afterwards you should have picked up on. ( )
  goorgoahead | Dec 4, 2013 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: A girl tries to find out who kidnapped her twin.

Opening Sentence: It’s one of those cool, crisp fall nights that make you feel like the air is ripe with possibility, like anything could happen.

The Review:

This is one of those books that it’s better to just jump in reading without background knowledge. It’s impossible to describe this story without spoiling anything because there’s a plot twist almost every other chapter. But I’ll try anyway.

Rachel and Alice are identical twins. As in so identical, nobody can tell them apart if the twins didn’t want them to. So when an evening at the fair turns to panic and worry, the twins must find each other – no matter the consequences. This is book will have your head spinning and guessing what will happen next. Not everything is as it seems.

First: the cover is awful. Like what?? It’s not appealing and it doesn’t have anything to do with the book besides the twin part. And the title? Umm…well it’s misleading. The lies in this book are not beautiful. Completely the opposite. But I guess if they were going for that it’s okay.

While the plot was fantastically clever, I was not a fan of this book. At all. I give it props for keeping me guessing, but most of the scenes in this book seem like fluff. Every now and then we’ll get a flashback to when the twins were younger. Okay, I see how Warman used this as character development, but really. Most of them were really boring. Then there was the extra geo-chaching plot arc that was confusing and easy to solve. Again, I can’t go into details, but I thought there could have been another way to show the character development.

Also, there was no draw to the characters. The only one I felt compassion toward (or anything nice at all) was Charlie, the twin’s mentally challenged brother. He is so sweet and adorable! On the other hand, the twins were just plain annoying. Rachel, the “serious” twin, was awful to her sister. I can’t say much, but humoring someone for their entire life is not a nice way to treat them. And then Alice, the rambunctious party-er that causes trouble wherever she goes, is just crazy. I feel for her, but it’s hard to connect with the character when you’re constantly pitying her (while also trying to figure out what the heck is going on).

I guess what I’m trying to say is there was too much going on. The plot took away from the characters. When there wasn’t a plot twist, I was bored. The only reason I give it two stars is because of the clever twists. There is a hint of paranormal in the book, but it’s not the main focus. It’s one of those “twin telepathy” powers with a twist of… umm… craziness? I think that’s the word.

Guys, you do not understand how hard it is to describe this book without spoiling anything. EVERYTHING is a spoiler in this book. But overall, I would recommend this to anyone who loves mind-bogglers and to anyone else, good luck getting through it. I honestly don’t think the end was worth it.

Notable Scene:

The air grows very cold all around me as I stand in complete darkness, frozen in place. My mouth is dry, but I can’t swallow. As I stand there, I am aware of someone lingering close behind me. I don’t know how, but I’m certain it’s a man – I’m also certain it isn’t Robin, not this time.

I can hear him breathing as he watches me; I can sense his gaze at my back. He has been observing me the whole time, I know, even though I’ve only become aware of him now. I don’t know who he is, but I understand that he’s staying close for a reason, reassuring himself of my immobility, keeping watch in the dark, ready to pounce if I get too close to her.

FTC Advisory: Walker Childrens’/Bloomsbury provided me with a copy of Beautiful Lies. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Jul 16, 2013 |

Rachel and Alice are an extremely rare kind of identical twins-so identical that even their aunt and uncle, whom they've lived with since their parents passed away, can't tell them apart. But the sisters are connected in a way that goes well beyond their surfaces: when one experiences pain, the other exhibits the exact same signs of distress. So when one twin mysteriously disappears, the other immediately knows something is wrong-especially when she starts experiencing serious physical traumas, despite the fact that nobody has touched her. As the search commences to find her sister, the twin left behind must rely on their intense bond to uncover the truth. But is there anyone around her she can trust, when everyone could be a suspect? And ultimately, can she even trust herself? Master storyteller Jessica Warman will keep readers guessing when everything they see-and everything they are told-suddenly becomes unreliable in this page-turning literary thriller.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:15 -0400)

Eighteen-year-old identical twins Alice and Rachel have always shared a very special bond, so when one is abducted the other uses their connection to try to locate her.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,018,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible