Unlocking the Spell: A Tale of the…

Unlocking the Spell: A Tale of the Wide-Awake Princess

by E. D. Baker

I'm just charmed by anything Baker writes. For a better review, read Heidi's:
I'll just say that I loved the hidden references to other stories. Sure, everyone knows Cinderella, but did you catch that The Dark Forest was only a hundred acres..."?

I appreciated lots of interesting and careful details. For example, Dog is female, and Cat is male - un-stereotypically refreshing.

And now I'm off to look for #3, and to look for the authors unknown to me that Baker acknowledged in the author's note: [a:Robert Southey|107344|Robert Southey|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1206847224p2/107344.jpg] and [a:James Orchard Halliwell-Phillipps|4485158|James Orchard Halliwell-Phillipps|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/user/u_50x66-ccc56e79bcc2db9e6cdcd450a4940d46.png]." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
More fun fairytales all tied together in a cuts package. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Another light, fun book by E.D. Baker - this time sharing Annie's (from the Wide-Awake Princess) efforts to help remove the curse from her sister's fiancee. ( )
  TnTexas | Sep 6, 2013 |
Slightly less fun than the first book. The premise is a bit more forced, Liam's sudden switches of behavior don't really make sense (he "explains" it at least once, but that doesn't explain why his actions changed), the villain is kind of pointless and the way they wander hither and yon is really silly. On the other hand, it is again a mishmash of fairy stories put together in reasonably reasonable ways (I loved the Three Bears), Annie is great and Gwendolyn develops some brains and spine on the trip, we get to see more of the land and more of fairies...still fun, still worth rereading in a year or so. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Feb 27, 2013 |
I love this series. It is so super cute. Annie is such a great character! She is Gwendolyn’s (Sleeping Beauty) non-magical sister. Annie received a gift from her fairy godmother at birth that would not let any magic affect her, unlike everyone else in the kingdom. Because of this gift, Annie can sense when magic is near. Her power can also cause someone’s magic to falter. I found this to be one of the best parts of the story. I loved the descriptions of characters that suddenly found themselves without their magical qualities and gifts. One of the other qualities that make Annie so endearing is her resourcefulness. Because she has grown up without the help of magic, she has had to learn how to do many things on her own. Her sister, Gwennie, is described as “the most beautiful princess in the world” (with the help of magic of course), but Annie is often overlooked. While this could be lonely and a bit annoying, it makes Annie a great character. She is smart, stubborn, and extremely clever. The perfect underdog heroine.

The plot also weaves together familiar fairytales with slightly altered storylines. Goldilocks and the Three Bears, the Three Little Pigs, Cinderella, and Little Red Riding Hood all make appearances—just not in the ways we are familiar with. How the author used these stories and characters was very creative.

This is a middle grades series, which means it is squeaky clean. A little kissing, but appropriate for younger readers. Older readers would probably find it too wholesome. Maybe I’m a big nerd, but I loved it. Of course, I liked the first book (The Wide Awake Princess), too. Personally, I think all fairy tale fans should read this series. It is charming. ( )
  flashlight_reader | Jan 4, 2013 |

Princess Annabelle, who is immune to magic and can temporarily reverse spells put on others, encounters various fairy tale characters when she embarks on an expedition into the woods to find a dwarf responsible for turning Sleeping Beauty's prince into a bear.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,351,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible