Out of the Deep I Cry: A Clare Fergusson and…

Out of the Deep I Cry: A Clare Fergusson and Russ Van Alstyne Mystery (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Julia Spencer-Fleming

Member:frannyor
Title:Out of the Deep I Cry: A Clare Fergusson and Russ Van Alstyne Mystery
Authors:Julia Spencer-Fleming
Info:Minotaur Books (2004), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:sent to Book Mooch, Shed
Rating:***
Tags:mysteries

Out of the Deep I Cry by Julia Spencer-Fleming (2004)

a terrific read I couldn't put down ( )
  ffortsa | Feb 23, 2014 |
Love these stories! I'm already on to the fourth! ( )
  Conkie | Oct 22, 2013 |
This one may be closer to 3.7 than 4 stars. The mystery, while solid, felt a little more confused. Probably because I wasn't a fan of the "Then" chapters. Not that they weren't good in and of themselves, they were. I just wasn't a fan of the back and forth storytelling. I never have been. And it also may be because I live for Russ and Clare's relationship. That is what really made this book, and I'm left with way too many feelings that I won't get into here. I just need to start reading the next book ASAP. ( )
  OstensiblyA1 | Sep 20, 2013 |
I think this was the best one so far. I liked the flashback parts (which usually I can't stand that sort of thing) and oh my gosh, we finally get a little Russ/Clare action. I almost died. ( )
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
While I really enjoyed this book, I am enormously frustrated with the characters and the decisions they made, but I think the fact that Clare and Russ are seriously flawed (and man, are they flawed) is part of what makes the series work. The format in this third entry in the series is different with chapters shifting through several time periods. The Ketchem family's story is heartbreaking, but hard to turn away from. It was nice to get to see Russ' wife Linda a little more - that really brings home the dilemma that he's facing with being in love with two women.

Listened to the BBC AudioBooks America CD edition narrated by Suzanne Toren. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |

Spencer-Fleming, Juliaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Czwikla, FraukeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toren, SuzanneReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You may have tangible wealth untold;
Casketes of jewels and coffers of gold,
Richer than I you can never be--
I had a Mother who read to me.

--Strickland Gillian
To Lois Greuling Fleming
Friday, June 26, 1970
Russ Van Alstyne had just gotten a tug on his line when he saw the old lady get up from between the headstones she had been trimming, lay down her gardening tools, and walk into the reservoir.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312988885, Mass Market Paperback)

On April 1, 1930, Jonathan Ketchem's wife Jane walked from her house to the police department to ask for help in finding her husband. The men, worn out from a night of chasing bootleggers, did what they could. But no one ever saw Jonathan Ketchem again...

Now decades later, someone else is missing in Miller's Kill, NY. This time it's the physician of the clinic that bears the Ketchem name. Suspicion falls on a volatile single mother with a grudge against the doctor, but Reverend Clare Fergusson isn't convinced. As Clare and Russ investigate, they discover that the doctor's disappearance is linked to a bloody trail going all the way back to the hardscrabble Prohibition era. As they draw ever closer to the truth, their attraction for each other grows increasingly more difficult to resist. And their search threatens to uncover secrets that snake from one generation to the next--and to someone who's ready to kill.

Julia Spencer-Fleming has created the most intriguing entry yet in her Anthony, Agatha and Macavity Award-winning detective series, which "brings new airs and graces to the traditional small-town mystery" (New York Times Book Review).

Out of the Deep I Cry is a 2005 Edgar Award Nominee for Best Novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:45 -0400)

On April 1 1930, Jonathon Ketchem's wife, Jane, walked from her house to the police department to ask for help in finding her husband. The men, worn out from a night of chasing bootleggers, did what they could. But no one ever saw Jonathon Ketchem again.… (more)

37 wanted3 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,328,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible