Out of the Deep I Cry: A Clare Fergusson and…

Out of the Deep I Cry: A Clare Fergusson and Russ Van Alstyne Mystery (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Julia Spencer-Fleming

Member:frannyor
Title:Out of the Deep I Cry: A Clare Fergusson and Russ Van Alstyne Mystery
Authors:Julia Spencer-Fleming
Info:Minotaur Books (2004), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:sent to Book Mooch, Shed
Rating:***
Tags:mysteries

Out of the Deep I Cry by Julia Spencer-Fleming (2004)

Recently added byprivate library, arenie5000, sue222, freemanlibrary, revser, Feuerus, stratlib, Alice_Wonder, nospi

Former Army helicopter pilot and current Episcopal priest in Miller's Kill, New York, has a serious roofing problem and there's no money available to fix it. After calling the vestry members in for a strategy session, one of them, Lacy Marshall, decides to liquidate her trust and gift the money to St. Alban's roof repair. Currently the trust is subsidizing the local free clinic run by Dr. Alan Rouse.

Shortly after delivering the bad news, Dr. Rouse disappears. Clare and Chief of Police, Russ Van Alstyne, work clues left behind to try to find him. Ironically, Mrs Marshall’s father also disappeared over sixty years earlier and the clinic was set up by her mother as a memorial.

The story is told in various chapters of “Then” and “Now” and goes from the 70's, to the 30's, to the 50's, and modern time. In flashbacks we follow the disappearance of Mrs. Marshall's father and how her mother came to set up the clinic in his name. There is also a parallel story of a local woman and her protests at the clinic for using vaccines that she believes caused her son to become autistic.

As usual, the growing attraction between Russ and Clare is a big part of the story and to my surprise we finally meet Linda who is talked of but never seen in the first two books. I love the flawed characters of Russ and Clare. In addition to the great characters, the colorful locale adds depth to a well plotted mystery.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
a terrific read I couldn't put down ( )
  ffortsa | Feb 23, 2014 |
Love these stories! I'm already on to the fourth! ( )
  Conkie | Oct 22, 2013 |
This one may be closer to 3.7 than 4 stars. The mystery, while solid, felt a little more confused. Probably because I wasn't a fan of the "Then" chapters. Not that they weren't good in and of themselves, they were. I just wasn't a fan of the back and forth storytelling. I never have been. And it also may be because I live for Russ and Clare's relationship. That is what really made this book, and I'm left with way too many feelings that I won't get into here. I just need to start reading the next book ASAP. ( )
  OstensiblyA1 | Sep 20, 2013 |
I think this was the best one so far. I liked the flashback parts (which usually I can't stand that sort of thing) and oh my gosh, we finally get a little Russ/Clare action. I almost died. ( )
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |

Spencer-Fleming, Juliaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Czwikla, FraukeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toren, SuzanneReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You may have tangible wealth untold;
Casketes of jewels and coffers of gold,
Richer than I you can never be--
I had a Mother who read to me.

--Strickland Gillian
To Lois Greuling Fleming
Russ Van Alstyne had just gotten a tug on his line when he saw the old lady get up from between the headstones she had been trimming, lay down her gardening tools, and walk into the reservoir.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312988885, Mass Market Paperback)

On April 1, 1930, Jonathan Ketchem's wife Jane walked from her house to the police department to ask for help in finding her husband. The men, worn out from a night of chasing bootleggers, did what they could. But no one ever saw Jonathan Ketchem again...

Now decades later, someone else is missing in Miller's Kill, NY. This time it's the physician of the clinic that bears the Ketchem name. Suspicion falls on a volatile single mother with a grudge against the doctor, but Reverend Clare Fergusson isn't convinced. As Clare and Russ investigate, they discover that the doctor's disappearance is linked to a bloody trail going all the way back to the hardscrabble Prohibition era. As they draw ever closer to the truth, their attraction for each other grows increasingly more difficult to resist. And their search threatens to uncover secrets that snake from one generation to the next--and to someone who's ready to kill.

Julia Spencer-Fleming has created the most intriguing entry yet in her Anthony, Agatha and Macavity Award-winning detective series, which "brings new airs and graces to the traditional small-town mystery" (New York Times Book Review).

Out of the Deep I Cry is a 2005 Edgar Award Nominee for Best Novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:42 -0400)

On April 1 1930, Jonathon Ketchem's wife, Jane, walked from her house to the police department to ask for help in finding her husband. The men, worn out from a night of chasing bootleggers, did what they could. But no one ever saw Jonathon Ketchem again.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible