Brothers in Arms by Lois McMaster Bujold

Brothers in Arms (1989)

by Lois McMaster Bujold

2,120324,706 (4.14)106

English (31)  Italian (1)  All languages (32)
**Brothers in Arms** is the fifth part (in order of publishing) of *Lois McMaster Bujold*'s Vorkosigan saga and I enjoyed it immensely. After the previous volumes vaguely related tales, we finally return to Miles and his crew. It's been seven years (!!!. Where are the stories about those years? Well, at least one later volume takes place in the space between.), and it's brilliant. Miles is still the protagonist with the most absolute forward momentum, and the story has no clear villain, the characters are ambiguous, the narrator is only nearly reliable, and the plot is just tremendous amounts of fun. It really says something when you see that a series has 16 volumes minor works and you're relieved because it won't be over quite so soon. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
WOW! To awesome. This series continues to amaze. ( )
  zyphax | Dec 27, 2016 |
I have concluded that this book is a comedy. First, it involves mistaken identity. Second, it does have a happy ending.
But it is a rather dark sort of comedy, with lots of suspense to keep you on the edge of your chair. And the potential results of the mistakes are pretty severe.

The book contains another one of my favorite philosophy quotes - Miles to Mark, "You are what you do. Choose again and change." Hope for redemption, if one is willing to pay the price.

I just wish I had read this before I started the saga in the middle with Mirror Dance. I almost stopped at that point - I didn't much like the impression it gave me of Miles, since I was missing some back story, and the tone of his comment about "my Elli." At any rate, I'm glad I didn't quit.

CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
Miles continues to successfully juggle his dual roles until a familiar face causes all sorts of problems...including deadly ones.

I liked this installment of the Miles Vorkosigan series, especially the family aspect (I hesitate to spoil the tale with more details than this). ( )
  fuzzi | Oct 31, 2016 |
Once again, I am awe struck by the brilliance of Lois McMaster Bujold. No other sci-fi author, that I have read at least, has such a strong grasp on human emotion.

Also, I love Miles Vorkosigan. A hero who uses chaos as his main tool for getting things done? Wonderful.

Read it. Read it all! ( )
  bemidt | Apr 20, 2016 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beekman, DougCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gutierrez, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Martha and Andy
His combat-drop shuttle crouched still and silent in the repairs docking bay - malevolent, to Miles's jaundiced eye.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671697994, Mass Market Paperback)

After the audacious prison camp escapade described in Borders of Infinity, Miles is on the run from the Cetagandans, who aren't about to take that kind of thing lying down. The worst of it is, Miles and his friends are starting to see double, and it takes a while to find out who is responsible.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:08 -0400)

Lead by Admiral Naismith (a.k.a. Lord Miles Vorkosigan), the Dendarii Mercenaries have pulled off the daring interspace rescue of an entire Cetagandan POW camp. But they have made some deadly enemies. Having finally outrun the infuriated Cetagandans, the Dendarii arrive on Earth for battle, shuttle repair, and a well deserved rest.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,385,036 books! | Top bar: Always visible