Guilt by Jonathan Kellerman

Horrific events are occurring in Cheviot Hills: Holly Ruche, an expectant mother discovers the body of an infant, buried in her back yard some sixty years earlier. In a nearby park, the discovery of a young woman’s body adds to the mystery.

Milo Sturgis asks Alex Delaware to consult; soon the puzzling events lead to a long-ago unsolved mystery and there are more questions than answers. Will Alex and Milo discover the connection between the old mystery and the new killing?

With suspense that keeps building and unexpected twists and turns, readers will find it difficult to set this story aside before they’ve turned the final page.

Recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Nov 18, 2016 |
The body of an infant is found buried in someone's backyard and the evidence indicates that it's been there for decades. Murder, or something else? Then a couple more bodies show up, and the case is on.

It seems that Jonathan Kellerman cannot write a bad book. He is one of my all time favorites. It is almost impossible to put his books down. This is one of them too. It was over too soon, as always. I wanted more of the complex characters and plot lines. Otherwise it was a great book. Looking forward to the next one. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I really don't know what to say about this. I love the Alex Delaware series, I have read all of them at least once over the last 20 years. Some are better than others (The Web should be tossed out completely) but most have been a good, decent read. I enjoyed this one too, but it was a little fragmented. Frankly, I liked that it was all tied up at the end without any of the bang-bang-shoot-em-up-car-chase sort of Hollywood ending that most authors go for (and comprise the ending of most of the Alex Delaware books.) Actually, this book lacked a lot of the Hollywood action movie claptrap and focused more on good old fashioned detecting. In general, I enjoy that but this book really didn't have much suspense. Yeah, I wondered whodunit, but I really didn't care.

The pregnant woman, Holly, was annoying and served very little purpose, IMHO. I had to wonder why it was included. There wasn't any need for her character development (or her husband's for that matter) and really served only as a distraction. The truth behind the bones in the backyard was the same thing; not much of a story and really could've been solved in the first 2 chapters. What I really didn't like was the turn from Alex becoming the Sherlock and Milo becoming the Watson. Yeah, I know Alex is the main character, but to demote Milo from being the capable sidekick to a face rubbing lackey really disappointed me. The whole Brangelina/TomKat storyline didn't do much for me either. Too contrived and unfulfilling. Made me wonder if Kellerman is angling for a movie deal or smarting from losing a movie deal. Hmm.

All in all not the worst in the series and worth a read, but not the best. If I were new to the Alex Delaware series and read this one first, it might've put me off to reading the earlier books, which were much better. ( )
  MystereityReviews | Mar 11, 2016 |
Characters abound in this mystery which weaves together a tale of crimes long past with present day murders. A baby’s skeleton buried decades earlier by a tree is discovered when the tree finally dies. Solving a case so old demands little attention, but suddenly, it takes on renewed vigor when another baby skeleton is discovered in a park not far from the first and close to a murdered woman. Now the chase is on to see if and how these three cases tie together. The clues lead Alex and Milo to a reclusive former movie star and her ne’er-do-well husband. An interesting plot with many twists, but trying to keep the characters straight, along with their own backstories and clues became a bit tedious as the story finally ended with a less than satisfying conclusion. ( )
  Maydacat | Oct 15, 2015 |
This is the 2nd novel that I have read by Jonathan Kellerman. It is part of a series driven by the work of LAPD homicide detective Milo Sturgis and Dr. Alex Delaware, LAPD consulting psychologist. I looked back to see when I had read my first Jonathan Kellerman novel to discover it was 2 years ago.

This novel has the action, the suspense, and the mystery of unraveling all the fractions to ultimately find the common denominator(s) -not further defined as there are no spoilers here- but this time the delivery seemed choppy which interrupted the storyline pace and riveting hold for this reader. I finished the novel but could have just as easily skipped this one and perhaps tried another Kellerman title. I will try another but out of curiosity not of marked intrigue for the series. ( )
  Corduroy7 | Jun 21, 2015 |
To Eva
All mine! The house, the life growing inside her. The husband.

A series of horrifying events occur in quick succession in the same upscale L.A. neighborhood. A backyard renovation unearths an infant's body, buried sixty years ago. And soon thereafter in a nearby park, another disturbingly bizarre discovery is made not far from the body of a young woman shot in the head. Helping LAPD homicide detective Milo Sturgis to link these eerie incidents is brilliant psychologist Alex Delaware. But even the good doctor's vast experience with matters both clinical and criminal might not be enough to cut down to the bone of this chilling case - and draw out the disturbing truth. Backtracking six decades into the past stirs up tales of a beautiful nurse with a mystery lover, a handsome, wealthy doctor who seems too good to be true, and a hospital with a notorious reputation - all of them long gone, along with any records of a newborn, and destined for anonymity. But the specter of fame rears its head when the case unexpectedly twists in the direction of the highest echelons of celebrity privilege. Entering this sheltered world, Alex little imagines the macabre layer just below the surface - a decadent quagmire of unholy rituals and grisly sacrifice.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jonathan Kellerman's book Guilt was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,074,419 books! | Top bar: Always visible