Polterheist by Laura Resnick

Polterheist

by Laura Resnick

Series: Esther Diamond (5)

I love this series! And this was a fine addition to it. I saved it to read during the Christmas season, since that's when it's set, and I'm glad I did- it was a perfect light romp for a somewhat stressful time.

I'm not going to summarize the plot. Just know that Esther is reluctantly working as Dreidle, the Jewish elf, in a big NYC department store's "Solsticeland" display. And then, as often happens around her, things start to go Horribly Wrong.

Esther has no paranormal talents whatsoever, unless one counts an uncanny (heh) ability to get mixed up in such. Fortunately, some of her friends are more skilled.

This had a nice bit of creepy along with the humor. But it's a humorous series (with great dialog), and the scene in which Esther meets her sort-of boyfriend's parents, in the worst possible way, had me laughing out loud. And really, the MOST horrible way. Yes, worse than that.

I'd be annoyed by the pace of Esther's and Lopez's on-again, off-again relationship, except I think it IS progressing- slowly- book by book.

The characters, as well as the dialog, is up to the previous books' levels. The plot is well-paced. These are definitely light books, but well-written and so much fun!

Recommended... but you might want to start with either "Disappearing Nightly": or "Doppelgansters", and read through the rest. ( )
  cissa | Dec 1, 2013 |
Another fun Esther Diamond fantasy/horror. This time, Esther is between acting jobs and working as an elf in a department store's Solsticeland to make ends meet. Working conditions are dire and employees keep quitting without giving notice. Then an animatronic tree tries to eat her. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Jan 13, 2013 |
In this 5th book in the series, Esther is making ends meet by working as an elf at Fensters & Co. department store. It is not the best job in the world especially since the other seasonal employees keep quitting without notice. As always whne Esther is around, all is not normal at Fensters and reports of strange happening start popping up. Then Esther is attacked by a singing Christmas tree and she can no longer ignore it. Something mystical is afoot.

I just love this series. Esther is such a fun character. She has no powers or special abilities, unless incredibly bad luck is an ability. Or maybe she is a monster magnet. I guess that could be a power. Anyway, this book was as much fun as all the rest of the series. We also see the return of Lucky, the semi-retired mob hitman. I know it is odd to say a hitman is a fun character, but he really is. This series is best if read in order but if you are looking for a fun Christmas read, this might be the ticket. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Dec 15, 2012 |

Laura Resnickprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to the memory of my friend Dick Spellman
I became convinced that something strange was going on at Fenster & Co. when a singing tree tried to strangle me.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,134,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible