City of a Thousand Dolls by Miriam Forster

City of a Thousand Dolls (edition 2013)

by Miriam Forster

Title:City of a Thousand Dolls
Authors:Miriam Forster
Info:HarperTeen (2013), Hardcover, 368 pages
Tags:fantasy, young adult, coming of age, murder mystery

City of a thousand dolls by Miriam Forster

I am the epitome of mixed feelings about this book.
edit: I'm still thinking about this book and how weirded out I was by the whole ending and how badly it crashed and burned in the end.
I appreciated the asian theme high fantasy set up to the world building. I was confused by how child law was in place when later it was revealed that there were only THREE CITIES in the Empire and the population was TINY (so I guess it was about control? It was NEVER EXPLAINED why the 2 child rule was actually in place). There's an entire city of girls but the book crashed and burned at attempting any kind of female friendship.
I wasn't fond of the tribe of talking cats (simply because talking animals aren't really my thing) but I was willing to overlook it until it got SUPER WEIRD AT THE END.
The romantic subplot was predictable to a fault in that we got zero information about the boy she was in a relationship in at the start of the book so it was obvious where that was going, and when the second love interest was introduced he just didn't talk (which meant, of course, he was perfectly capable of talking) but then the PLOT TWIST AT THE END HAPPENED and, you know, I'm weirded out by the talking cat at the beginning of the book turning out to be a shapeshifter and the obvious future love interest i'm just
not here
for that
at all.
good things: disabled woc protagonist!
bad things: uhm. talking cats and the writing was clunky.
I'm so baffled. ( )
  glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |
  ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |
  ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |
I would give this a 1.5 stars but I'm rounding up. Alright, could have used an editor and some of it seemed as if it was written for the 10 - 12 yrs of age range. Interesting concept not executed as well as it should have been. ( )
  newskepticx | Dec 18, 2013 |
  a.happy.booker | Sep 24, 2013 |

"Nisha lives in the City of a Thousand Dolls, a remote estate where orphan girls in the Empire become apprentices as musicians, healers, and courtesans, her closest companions the mysterious cats that trail her shadow. When girls begin to die, Nisha begins to uncover the secrets that surround the deathers--jeopardizing not only her own future within the City but her own life"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

10 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,877,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible