The Underwater Welder by Jeff Lemire

The Underwater Welder

by Jeff Lemire

Daytripper by Gabriel Ba (Anonymous user)
    The Collected Essex County by Jeff Lemire (Anonymous user)
    Sweet Tooth: Out of the Deep Woods by Jeff Lemire (Anonymous user)

While the art style didn't wow me, I did like some of it, but I felt it made everyone seem older and more grizzled than they were. The story was good, it made me think of the Twilight Zone, and it had an eerie, but familiar quality that was fun. ( )
  Pepperwings | Jun 17, 2017 |
Kept me turning the pages. It's a decent story but if you've any kind of sense of a story twist or familiarity with Twilight Zone tales, then you're not going to be all that surprised by how it ends. Still, a fine story. ( )
  RalphLagana | Jan 23, 2016 |
The storytelling, both in Lemire's writing and artwork, are effortlessly engaging. This is a graphic novel that even someone who is not a regular reader of comics would enjoy. I won't say much more. Just read it! ( )
  wethewatched | Jan 7, 2016 |
3.5 stars

Jack is an underwater welder who works on an oil rig off the shore of Nova Scotia. His wife is 9 months pregnant. His father died when he was only 10 years old, doing a dive while drunk. While diving for work one day, something odd happens, and Jack is then distracted from anything and everyone else.

At first, I was a little confused and it seemed a little odd. Some of the illustrations were a bit tricky to figure out, as well, which didn't help. The illustrations got easier to read as I went, however. And I did end up liking the book. As mentioned in the introduction (by one of the producers of the tv show, Lost), it was Twilight Zone-esque, so that was kind of appealing, as well. ( )
  LibraryCin | Sep 20, 2015 |
My blog post about thie book is at this link ( )
  SuziQoregon | Jan 25, 2015 |
For Gus.

"As an underwater welder on an oilrig off the coast of Nova Scotia, Jack Joseph is used to the immense pressures of deep-sea work. Nothing, however, could prepare him for the pressures of impending fatherhood. As Jack dives deeper and deeper, he seems to pull further and further away from his young wife and their unborn son. Then one night, deep in the icy solitude of the ocean floor, something unexplainable happens. Jack has a mysterious and supernatural encounter that will change the course of his life forever" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,723,131 books! | Top bar: Always visible