Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Rise Up Singing: The Group Singing Songbook…

Rise Up Singing: The Group Singing Songbook (1988)

by Peter Blood (Editor), Mark Moss (Editor), Annie Peterson (Editor)

Other authors: Pete Seeger (Introduction)

This is a great collection of song lyrics, but I find the lack of musical notation is a major drawback. You have to already know the tunes pretty well to use this book for singing, but it's a pretty good reference even if you can't remember the tunes. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |
Great range of songs of all sorts - but no music (except guitar chords). For an extra $200 +, you can get a set of 20 CDs with which to overcome this problem. With all these fascinating songs (& so many tunes unknown to me) it's tempting. ( )
  c_why | Nov 21, 2008 |
I have always had a love-hate relationship with this book. I've had the first edition, used it until it's in shreds & I now have a larger print "songleader's copy."

For every bit of praise, I have a complaint. Let me grouse first, praise later:
The chords are wonky, weird, incomplete, in odd keys, and inappropriate in way too many places. Having been in a song circle lead by the author/editor, I understand a bit better - this is NOT the world's most accomplished guitarist or accompanist - like me, he's a person who wants to sing. A weakness of this book is that it's the editor's repertoire, and along with the many that are in the general folk consciousness, there's a considerable whack of them that are obscure.

In using it, I've checked the chords (and lyrics) against published versions of the music, and replaced them with appropriate ones, note my singable keys, etc. I most find fault when what's in the book doesn't match the sheet music FROM THE AUTHORS. I have the sheet music published by the authors for a great number of the contemporary songs, and while the appropriate author citations are made, quite a bit of the time that has NOT meant that the chords as written were used in this book.

Another gratuitous tweaking is putting chords to songs that the songwriters intend to be acapella. I've always heard Sally Rogers sing her "Lovely Agnes" acapella, and I KNOW that in Songs from Fogarty's Cove, Stan Rogers clearly marks "Barrett's Privateers" as acapella.

A last gripe about the book, is not something that's the author's responsibility: because this book exists, there are groups of people who use it like the Holy Writ. If it's not in the book, they won't sing it. If it is in the book, they MUST sing it THAT way. The idea of this book floated around for years: I have several books that are nearly prototypes, but this book really correlated a vast amount of music, organized it and got it out to a general audience. I'd even started my own fake book of the songs I wanted to learn. The author's intent seemed to be to make it easier for folks to sing and play the songs they "sort of" know.

It's a grand tool as a quick reference fake book: it's a book I adapt, correct, and.use perhaps once a week. Organizing by concepts/then alphabetically is brilliant in helping to find songs quickly. It's a great thing to hand someone who says "oh I don't know any folk songs" and they find something they DO know almost immediately and start to sing. It expands the joy of group singing beyond folk, yet it includes some ancient songs: the range is impressive. Having it spiral bound made it incredibly convenient. Publishing a larger type edition was a great service for visibility. Having recorded versions of the songs available made the obscure songs accessible.To work this out and document it must have been a mammoth task, and there are singers all over the world who are grateful, myself among 'em. ( )
3 vote TeaWench | Dec 9, 2007 |

Bell, JudyEditorial assistancesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hinton, SamCalligraphersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kerman, KateEditorial assistancesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McWhirter, Kore LoyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merker, MeghanMusical transcription of roundssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moss, Mark D.Managing editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is an expanded version of

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0962670472, Spiral-bound)

This comprehensive collection has sold tens of thousands of copies around the world. It contains words and guitar chords to nearly 1200 songs, arranged in a compact, easy-to-use format for locating songs and working with groups. You won't find an array of songs like this anywhere else: 'Folk Revival' favorites popularized by Baez, Seeger, Collins, Peter, Paul and Mary, Dylan, Mitchell, Taylor, Donovan, and many others. * The best-known material of contemporary folk songwriters including Near, Staines, Williamson, Rogers, Bok and many more. * Broadway show tunes, Beatles songs, Motown hits * Hymns, spirituals, and gospel standards * Songs about peace, freedom, labor and the environment * Ballads, cowboy songs, shanties and blues

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:02 -0400)

Lyrics and guitar chords for 1200 traditional and modern folk songs.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,491,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible