Dissolve (Volume 1) by Andrea Heltsley

Dissolve (Volume 1)

by Andrea Heltsley

Dissolve was given to me in exchange for an honest review. It is a downward spiral that takes its main characters and readers into a conspiracy fraught with danger. Cora and her makeshift band of friends quickly become your classic fantastical crew of misfits, journeying to a point of origin. Everything happened to her so quickly it wasn't as believable as a gradual unveiling might have been. Everyone seems to take very tragic circumstances in stride and almost too easily. But from a campier point of view, the novel sits very well in itself. ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |
The following review is my own opinion and not a paid review. To form your own opinions please support the author and acquire you own legal copy of this book. I received a free copy of this book as part of a book blog tour. The gift of this book does not influence my opinion of this book. Please be aware that I try to write my reviews without spoilers but sometimes they get through so there might be a few minor spoilers in this review.

To purchase your own copy of this book please click the title highlighted in blue

This book starts out with two females Cora and Nessa that are out in a club. Cora is intoxicated and gets sick on the dirty floor of the public restroom. Okay, maybe it is I but that is just revolting. I understand why the author added this to the book but still if I did not have a mysophobia or fear of germs before I did something like this then I would after.

The book then moves to Cora and Tom. Cora and Tom are planning their wedding, or Tom's mother is planning the wedding Cora and Tom just plan to attend the wedding. I honestly hope I am not like this when my son decides to get married. I am like wow; the wedding is for the bride and groom not the mother or mother-in-law to be.

Soon Cora is pale again at a lunch to assist in helping Tom's mother plan her wedding. Cora's mother is there also along with Tom and Nessa. Cora and Nessa go to the restroom and Nessa tries to talk Cora into telling everyone she is ill so she can go home and get some rest. After Cora and Nessa leave the restroom, Cora faints to the floor. She wakes up sitting on concrete. Okay this woman was supposed to faint. How can she be sitting (and the way I understand sitting is in an upright position) when she crumpled to the floor. There is no description of any person catching Cora when this happened. In the book, it does have that Nessa was holding Cora up when she came to but it does not describe Nessa catching Cora.

Sorry for ranting the author spoke several times that Cora did not have time to shave. Okay, shave what? Her face, her eyebrows, her legs, her armpits what is it she did not have time to shave.

While I did enjoy the plot of this book, I felt that the author either dragged one point along to far or did not describe something in further detail that needed describing. I feel that this would be an awesome book if it had some more editing. Please be aware that this is not a book to be read by teenagers, there is a hint of sexual relations, drinking, and drugs in this book.

I am looking forward to the next book in the series. The author left an amazing cliff hanger at the end of this book. I do not know the title of the next book or when it will be released but I will be looking for it. ( )
  kybunnies | Oct 19, 2014 |
Dissolve weaves an intriguing web of dark magical danger and intense destruction that will have readers hanging onto the edge of their seats with anticipation. In a daring search for the truth, which proves more questions than answers, Cora's life is spun upside down as a result of a tragic event. Andrea Heltsley pens a wonderfully beguiling world full of magical fascination and fairytales with a twist of originality and mystery. It's a fast paced story brimming with wonderful story concepts, dark amazing twists and turns, and unexpected endings. The adventure is exhilarating and highly engaging, full of action and super powers used to save the lives of many.

As much as I personally enjoyed this book, I still left a little unsettled with overlooking a couple of drawbacks that it possessed. The details could have been a little more in depth than explored and the direction of the story a little less confusing. While the characters were mostly likable, very relatable, and easy to connect with a few of them seemed to just fall flat and it made it hard to wrap my head around them and the story they're telling a little bit. As with any book, there is always going to be one or two things that just sort of seem off-putting a bit, but that doesn't mean that it's not worth reading.

The concept of the story was definitely original as is the plot and the twists and turns were full of intense danger and filled with the appropriate amount of fear and desperation in a sense. Andrea Heltsley has written a very different and definitely appealing and refreshing novel that I would definitely recommend to anyone who enjoys paranormal mystery and dark twisted fairytales. It held so much mystery and intrigue, enough to keep readers captivated as to who the real villian was and what was going to happen next. Those are marks of a great writer in general, being able to keep readers guessing and wondering what's to come. ( )
  suz.haugland | Jun 19, 2012 |

Everything seemed to be going right for Cora. She had a wonderful fiance, a great best friend and a fulfilling life. One day, a tragic event causes that life to crumble around her. She turns to her best friend in her time of need. They embark on a search for answers, delving deeper into a web of magic and destruction. The closer they get to the truth, the more questions they have. To Cora, magic was the stuff of fairy tales. Immersed into a very different kind of world, the real storm was just beginning to take hold.

Excerpt:
"It felt like I was nowhere yet everywhere all at once. I was invisible and completely panicked. The millions of pieces I had dissolved to drift on the breeze and away from my nightmares. It was kind of like floating weightless in a pool, perfectly relaxing. The warm breeze from the window embraced and soothed me. I let the air current carry me as far as it could through the summer city." "Defeated, I closed my eyes and took a few calming breaths trying to relax myself. I pictured the dandelion in the park today and took a deep breath as to blow the fluffy seeds in all directions. I pretended I was light and fluffy and started to feel a tingling in my body. I began to feel as light as the dandelion seeds and soon I felt like mist floating. This time, I tried to keep myself in the room, swirling in a humid block."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:27 -0400)

Andrea Heltsley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,698,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible