The Pulse: A Novel of Surviving the Collapse…

The Pulse: A Novel of Surviving the Collapse of the Grid

by Scott B. Williams

When a solar flare takes out all the electronics in North America, Casey is separated from her father Artie. Artie is helping his brother deliver a boat in the Caribbean and Casey is at Tulane University in New Orleans. Both find help with their friends and family and are desperate to be reunited.

The novel is full of technical information about boats, sailing and survivalist techniques. It's a little much for the story and I found myself skimming over sections about boats. The end was a bit rushed, and a bit too neatly packaged. An interesting premise, a little clunky on the execution. ( )
  amaryann21 | May 16, 2017 |
It's unfortunate that I took so much time reading this book--after the first chapter I was simply trying to finish it to be done with it.

Everything in this book is repetitive--a character will think a thought, tell that thought to another character (using almost the exact same words), and then possible repeat it again for a third character. New thought, repeat.

Having read books that describe the end of the world, and how to live in it, I was sorely disappointed in this poorly written novel. At one point I wondered if it is a self-published book, because it doesn't seem to have been read or looked at by any type of editor.

The most enjoyable part of the book was reading it aloud in an overly dramatic voice to my boyfriend...and then laughing at how ridiculous the 'storyline' is. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Lately I’ve been enjoying the new television show Revolution. As we become increasingly dependent upon technology, with even short power outages leave us feeling lost, I find it interesting to wonder what would happen to our country in the event of a catastrophic power failure.

This book by Scott B. Williams delves into that possibility. Casey and her roommate Jessica are at Tulane University in New Orleans when the power goes out, while Casey’s Dad is traveling by boat to the Virgin Islands. Grant, a grad student that Casey knows, convinces the two girls that they should get out of the city before lawlessness takes over.

I found the story very exciting and hard to put down near the end. As the power outage continues, people panic and conventional rules are no longer followed. Casey and her Dad each run into obstacles during their search for each other and for safety.

The one thing that bothered me while reading this book is the author’s depiction of the two young women. Perhaps because I have two daughters this age and I see how capable and level headed they are, I didn’t appreciate the fact that the young man, Grant, knew everything there is to know about survival and needed to carefully spell it all out for the girls. I wish these two characters hadn’t seemed so helpless.

That being said, I really do want to know what happens next in this story. I would just greatly appreciate it if the female characters showed more intelligence. ( )
  mydustyshelves | Nov 6, 2012 |
Meh, okay. Interesting premise but sinks to the predictable. The whole story suddenly wraps up very neatly, as if the author was getting bored with it as well! ( )
  tikicats | Aug 30, 2012 |

"As massive solar flares bombard the Earth, an intense electromagnetic pulse instantly destroys the power grid throughout North America. Within hours, desperate citizens panic and anarchy descends. Surrounded by chaos, Casey Drager, a student at Tulane University, must save herself from the havoc in the streets of New Orleans. Casey and two of her friends evacuate the city and travel north, where they end up in the dangerous backwaters of Mississippi, forced to use their survival skills to seek refuge and fight for their lives"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,430,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible