Children of Angels: Book One of the New…

Children of Angels: Book One of the New Nephilim Series

by Kathryn Dahlstrom

332,001,085 (4.33)None

You begin this book by feeling sorry for poor Jeremy Lapoint, his young life has taken a downward spiral. They are living in poverty, and his Dad is in prison for robbery. He is also being bullied by Sid and his gang, one destroying his new ipod.
He is so devastated, and angry....and surprises himself and jumps so high, from this he begins to fly. He goes back to school, and is now able to see real demons. When he avoids one, everyone sees him flying. Not good, now he has made the news. Things are going from bad to worse at school, and when an offer comes to go to The Higher Humanity Institute he sees this as an answer.
What a great story for young teens to read, good over evil. We meet Jeremy's guardian angel, Asiel. You be turning the pages to see how the battles are going to come out. Who is going to be injured and die. We learn about Nephilim's, part Angel and part human. He makes new friends, and enemies...don't miss this great read.

I received this book through Litfuse Publicity Tours, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Sep 13, 2012 |
Children of Angels is a book with a unique idea based on a very short passage of the Bible that talks about how at one time the angels took human wives and created children who were 1/2 angels. The book eludes to these children having special abilities and their purpose is to fight demons through Spiritual Warfare. What I personally found interesting is that the Bible never says that - in fact, God clearly states at one point that his spirit will not dwell on the earth forever and that it will end in 120 years (Gen 6:3). There is also speculation that the angels were fallen angels and the children born of these relationships possibly were demons and giants (here).

So, that being said, I loved the book once I got into it. I loved the idea of children with special powers who are able to fight demons and make a difference in the world. I love how the hero (Jeremy) of our book is mentored by a grown up angel (Asiel) who teaches him how to control his powers (strength, speed, etc). I also loved how the Armour of God lesson is taught (although not mentioned as such) and how the kids learn to overcome their fear and trust God and their mentor's teaching (it turns out there are children with powers from around the world and their powers manifest in various ways).

I would suggest this book for kids 13+ and personally I think I would read it first if I had a child 10+ who wanted to read it. You as the parent need to know what you believe and be prepared for questions your kids (of any age) may have. If you have let your children read books like Hunger Games, any of the Vampire type books, etc they (and you) shouldn't have any problems this is definitely tame compared to those. Other than that - it's a wonderful book! ( )
  tiinaj1 | Sep 12, 2012 |
Just discovered an interesting new series of books for middle school age children by author Kathryn Dahlstrom that was an great idea taken from the sixth chapter in Genesis and the thirteenth chapter in Numbers. It's about a race of created beings formed from angels and humans.

In the first book in the Nephilim series, Children of Angels, finds Jeremy Lapoint, a resident of Anoka Middle School, in the midst of being bullied once more by a fellow student, Sid Lundahl and his friends. Not only do they taunt Jeremy with name calling but at one point an altercation ensures where the boys take Jeremy's backpack and dump out the items. His books, papers and reports fall to the ground which the boys stomp on and destroy. They even manage to ruin his iPod that his grandmother gave him for his birthday, breaking it in pieces.

Jeremy has become the brunt of Sid's taunts ever since learning that Jeremy's dad is in prison for stealing. Now it seems it's Sid's mission to make Jeremy's life at school a living hell. That is, until Jeremy learns he can fly. Not only that but he is super strong, able to become invisible and can make it to where no one can hear him, thanks to the help and training of his own angel Asiel.

Jeremy learns that he is a Nephilim, a cross between an angel and a human in which part of him wants to do good while the human half of him still struggles with his sin-filled nature:

"Seek the truth at the proper time - and the One who gives it. The angel in your kind longs to serve Him. The human...has a fight on his hands. "(pg 23).

Jeremy learns that there are 230 other teens like himself in Europe, Canada and America and it's important to learn his battle skills because he will be facing demons as one of the few that can see clearly into the spiritual realm. Feeling a bit more reassured, Jeremy finds himself being accepted to the Higher Humanity Institute for teens with unique abilities like his own. Only what he finds there isn't what he had expected at all. You'll have to pick this one up to learn what he finds and what happens to him.

I received Children of Angels by Kathryn Dahlstrom compliments of WinePress Publishing for my honest review. I think this is an interesting twist in Christian fiction for young adults and can't wait to see where the rest of the books in this series. I would rate this one a 4 out of 5 stars and think it's the perfect book for kids who long for that Christian super hero novel. ( )
  ReviewsFromTheHeart | May 29, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,401,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible