Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Sacred Sword

by Scott Mariani

Series: Ben Hope (7)

Returning to the UK to try to sort out his stormy personal life, ex-SAS hero and former theology scholar Ben Hope runs into two old friends, Simeon and Michaela, who were once his fellow students at Oxford. Ben senses that Simeon is deeply troubled and frightened, but before the truth can emerge both he and Michaela are wiped out in a devastating road crash. Convinced that his friends deaths were no accident, Ben is propelled on a global quest from the UK to France, the Holy Land and America to unlock the enigma of the sacred sword.… (more)

I'm a big fan of Scott Mariani, but I felt this one was a little weak. Some obvious plot holes, an exaggeratedly evil antagonist I could never quite believe in, and the historical references were superficial.

Still, if you like Mariani, this book has all the action and excitement you'd come to expect, and is still worth a read.

Also, a word about the "Ben Hope universe" - others have said that it's not necessary to read them in order, and strictly speaking that's true in the sense that each book is a self-contained story.
However, Mariani does tend to reference earlier incidents in all of his books. Thus, reading them in order allows you to understand those references - this, along with the deeper understanding of the Ben Hope psyche, provides a greater reading experience in my opinion. ( )
  adam.currey | Feb 9, 2018 |
4.5 Stars ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
This is the second Ben Hope thriller I've read and I think I may have found my go-to series for when I need bullet-dodging action. This one's not as tight as The Forgotten Holocaust, which frankly is a masterclass in how to write a thriller with no extraneous crap, but still a good pace and an interesting McGuffin. No need to read in series order as it's a fair bet he's survived each novel so far. ( )
  Lukerik | Feb 27, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,688,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible