Stress Pandemic: The Lifestyle Solution by…

Stress Pandemic: The Lifestyle Solution

by Paul Huljich

How should we live, and who says?

Everybody wants to be happy and successful, but what do these words really mean? There is no shortage of people to tell you: your parents, your siblings, school mates, teachers, work mates, boss; not to mention TV, films, novels, the Internet, society in general. In the rush to ‘get through’ life we are endlessly pressured by others and can end up asking ourselves, “”Who am I, and how did I get here?” These are questions that are central to Huljich’s book Stress Pandemic: The Lifestyle Solution: 9 Natural Steps To Survive, Master Stress, And Live Well, and it is his belief that by ignoring the answers we end up in physical and emotional stress, and that this, at best, reduces the quality of our life, and, at worst, ends in psychological conditions like depression and bi-polar disease.

This is a book written by a layman for the layman, though it would be wrong to think that it is therefore not scholarly. Huljich was intelligent enough to be enrolled at university and he has written a well-researched book. There are pertinent references and an extensive bibliography for those who want to dig deeper, reading about particular experiments and epidemiological/sociological surveys. But the real strength of this book is that it comes out of Huljich’s own struggle with mental illness, and out of his determination not to be dominated by this condition forever. Huljich overcame his illness to a degree that is quite rare, and has spent a further 10 year researching the subject. As a result the book is immensely practical, full of common sense, balanced and written in such a way that the ‘ordinary person’ can understand it. Even more those suffering from stress will immediately relate to this book because it has an ‘insiders’ view.

As an example of Huljich’s wise insight into human nature I will quote the following passage:

“In my experience with people suffering from stress-related conditions, I’ve noticed a strong sense of denial and failure to realize that we have the opportunity to change our lives. We can take charge of our own health and peace of mind.” (p.39)

Later in the book Huljich devotes a whole chapter to “unconscious habits” (p.48) and behaviour patterns. The philosopher and mystic G.I. Gurdjieff observed that most modern people are “sleepwalking”, unthinkingly going through life, guided entirely by outside pressures and never really reaching their full, individual potential. Society certainly tells us how to think, what success and happiness is, but what is it to the inner man, to each individual? Huljich, like Gurdjieff, and indeed others, believes that it is up to each individual to discover their own definitions.

As the subtitle suggests the book revolves around 9 steps to cope with stress. Steps 1, 2, and 3 deal with helpful mental attitudes and are foundational to the whole approach. Steps 4, 5, 6 and 7 are practical tools that can be carried out each day. Steps 8 and 9 encourage continued personal assessment and improvement.

The chapter of the book which will most come under criticism is: “Step 4 : Affirmations”. Many people reading this will immediately dismiss it as new age hokum: totally ineffective. Huljich, however, points out that it is our thoughts that drive our behaviour, and that these thoughts are often automatic, and the result of repartition over many years. We need to interrupt old thoughts and build new thought patterns. This may sound hokum to you, but it is the foundation of cognitive psychology, the most researched and proven school of psychology today.

The section on titled “Survival, My Story” of course narrates Huljich’s own battle with bi-polar disease. It adds considerable authenticity to the book, telling us clearly that that Paul has been there, suffering severely, and is not an armchair commentator. Also, those who suffer will immediately feel solidarity. Most of all this section shows that serious, chronic mental illness can be gradually and carefully overcome to the point of virtually total success.

One slight criticism I have is that the book is a bit repetitive, but Huljich needs to get his points through and, as I have pointed out, we tend to be woolly headed about life: asleep. Huljich indeed recommends that the whole book be returned to again and again to check that you are not straying into trouble, and to see if you can gain further insight into your own behaviour.

Another slight criticism is that some minor details can be questioned. I did, for example, raise my eyebrows at the recommendation of decaffeinated green tea. The solvents used to extract the caffeine are quite unhealthy and certainly at odds with Huljich’s organic produce approach to nutrition. It must be remembered, however, that Huljich struggled with very serious neurochemical imbalances and that this probably justifies the inclusion of this beverage.

If you feel that this book is a little too ‘full on’ for you try Huljich’s novel Betrayal of Love and Freedom which contains some of the information in this book in a quite readable and entertaining form.

For those who still doubt Huljich’s approach a simple search of any database containing reports of health experiments will easily reveal that he is not talking nonsense.

Huljich has written a most practical, helpful, sensible and well researched book. Stress Pandemic: The Lifestyle Solution: 9 Natural Steps To Survive, Master Stress, And Live Well is in fact the best book on stress I have ever read. I studied psychology as a part of my Bachelor of Arts degree. I am happy to rate this book as 5 out of 5 stars. ( )
  raymond.mathiesen | Sep 5, 2013 |
Paul Huljich wrote such an informative and easy to understand book on stress and how to free yourself of it. He gives us nine steps to follow to manage stress. I keep this book by my chair and read certain sections often. I won this through LibraryThing and I recommend it. ( )
  Draak | Oct 5, 2012 |
This book came at the right time in my life. I felt like it was a easy read and I like how everything was broke down. The nine steps were very helpful and very detail. I highly recommend this book to everyone. ( )
  tricia35 | Sep 10, 2012 |
BOOK REVIEW: STRESS PANDEMIC BY PAUL HULJICH
288 pages, Mwella Publishing
Release date: July 1, 2012

Note: I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher for purpose of review.

In today’s world, it seems we are constantly under attack from stress from multiple sources. These stress points, allowed to continue unchecked; undermine our health in a variety of ways both mental and physical. This book has outlined very specifically, a plan by which we can not only reduce the stress in our life, but overcome it entirely; thereby improving our health vastly and adding years to our lifespan.

The author, Paul Huljich, had reached what most of us would consider the pinnacle of success as a very well-to-do business owner. What he failed to realize though, despite a tell tale sign here or there; was the dire toll that stress was taking on his health. He eventually reached the point of a complete breakdown and was ultimately diagnosed with stress-induced bipolar disorder by numerous medical professionals. This diagnosis carried with it a life-time sentence of multiple drugs and the prediction that he would have relapses from time to time throughout the years. The story of how Paul overcame his devastating, stress-induced mental illness and proved the medical professionals wrong is nothing short of amazing.

In this book Paul has outlined for all of us the nine specific steps he followed to eliminate stress from his life and to live a healthy life, both mentally and physically. While most people hide their present or past mental illnesses because of the stigma attached to those conditions, Paul has come forward in an effort to help others and to prevent them from experiencing the illness and collapse that devastated his life. This book is an integral tool and lesson that we can all use and learn from. I highly recommend it to everyone. ( )
  shirfire218 | Jul 24, 2012 |
Author Paul Huljich has written a masterful book. Within this book he has written four parts that I find really break down and define his overall objective in writing this great book.
Part One deals with what the stress pandemic is, how stress affects you and how to overcome the stress that you may be facing.
There are charts: Potential Effects of Stress and Potential Causes of Stress which show how stress manages to work it's way into each of our lives. How we deal with these various stress points is vitally important and even life altering.
Paul describes two components that are essential to managing stress and living a life of wellness. These two components are: preparation and response. It is here a person prepares themselves to be able to withstand the stress of life without it overwhelming them.
Part Two of the book deals with Nine Natural Steps that will enable a person to master the stress they are facing. These steps include: Taking Charge, Kicking Your Bad Habits, Learning to Say No, Affirmations, Exercise, Nutrition, Sleep, The Power of Awareness and to Never Give Up.
Then within these nine steps we find additional purposes. "Steps 1,2, and 3 are the transformative steps, designed to address the underlying habits that are the cause of stress. Steps 4, 5, 6, and 7 are the practical steps. The function of these steps is to optimize your general wellness and allow you to feel better than you've ever felt before. The final two steps, 8 and 9, provide insight for your continual self-assessment and also serve to illuminate the frontiers of your ongoing progress." These steps are chocked full of information, illustrations, wisdom and insight that will be both rewarding and enlightening as you read alone.
Part Three is Paul's personal story of his own battle with stress. How it affected his life and how he chose to deal with it becoming the person he is today. I found this section to be very enriching and valuable. It all does us well to know we aren't the only one to ever deal with a particular problem or issue and Paul opens up and shares from his personal experience.
Part Four is filled with Resources. There are notes, references, charts, illustrations, exercises and so much more.
This is certainly a much needed book for this hour. With so many people filled to the brim with stress causing untold damage on their bodies, jobs, marriage, etc... we truly need a resource such as this to give us comfort. This is truly a source of encouragement that things can improve and become better if we only learn how to handle our stress.
5 of 5 stars.
This book was provided free of charge by www.jkscommunications.com for my honest review. ( )
  dwgodby | Jul 16, 2012 |

Do you feel anxious or on edge a lot of the time? Do you know you suffer from stress but feel powerless to stop it? Do you have trouble sleeping, lack energy and patience, feel frequent sadness or tension, or experience even larger stress-related health problems?

Many people would answer yes to these questions. The modern world is a breeding ground for stress; it comes in many forms and has a variety of causes, but any kind of stress can greatly inhibit life and take a serious toll on both body and mind.

Written for the growing number of people wishing to free themselves of mild, moderate, or severe stress, Stress Pandemic draws upon organic food pioneer Paul Huljich's experience with stress-related illness, outlining a practical and effective approach to beating stress and achieving complete wellness. Huljich's strategies address the underlying habits and tendencies that cause stress, and he offers a comprehensive lifestyle solution designed to promote both physiological and psychological strength and balance.

By learning and following Huljich's uniquely powerful and integrated approach to wellness, readers can live stress-free in a natural and holistic way.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:05 -0400)

The modern world is a breeding ground for stress. Any kind of stress can greatly inhibit life and take a serious toll on both body and mind. Huljich outlines a practical approach to beating stress and achieving complete wellness.

Paul Huljich is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,688,279 books! | Top bar: Always visible