The Eighth Wonder by Kimberly S. Young

The Eighth Wonder

by Kimberly S. Young

312,001,085 (4)None

Sometimes you want a book that is deep and moving. In this book the author, Kimberly S. Young, calls a modern Bridges of Madison County, you'll just that. The Eighth Wonder is not one to read in a day or to just fly through.

This is the story of a woman who can't seem to find herself in life. In the process of dealing with all aspects of her life, she finds herself in a small town and attracted to a married man facing issues within his own life. They discover themselves through each other.

I found this an extremely well-written book. It is not a story with a plot as most would think in mystery stories and such. This is an emotional journey through two people. This means that there is much narrative and many flashbacks. The two main characters spend much of their time dealing with their past, their present, and the future. In that sense, expect the story to move along at a slow pace as it is meant to. It is not a quick read nor one that will have you riveted, but it will have you thinking about it long after you are done.

The characters are well developed and not perfect nor all bad. They are just like ordinary people in that they have challenges, make mistakes, and have a lot of baggage that they eventually have to face. I do have to admit that it was hard to relate to the main female character as she was so much the opposite of me, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the story. It was something I had to deal with personally while reading the story.

The storyline is very emotional. I found myself crying at several parts and had to stop reading. Part of that was the topic of the man's death of his little girl. I have three children so it was very hard for me thinking how I would feel or react. I do want to warn readers that there is adultery in this book but it is not graphic and handled with tact. I do appreciate that.

This is a book that I would recommend for book clubs and those that like general fiction. It is emotional and one that needs to be concentrated on. The author is right in calling it a modern version of The Bridges of Madison County but I think this story can stand on its own without comparison.

Note: This book was provided as part of a book tour with no expectation of a positive review. ( )
  RebeccaGraf | Feb 20, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,805,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible