A Tree of Bones: Volume 3 of the Hexslinger…

A Tree of Bones: Volume 3 of the Hexslinger Series

by Gemma Files

Book Info: Genre: Weird Western/Supernatural Horror/Steampunk
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of Weird West, horror, those interested in Meso-American religious practices
Trigger Warnings for Book 3: killing, human sacrifice, bullying, non PC language

My Thoughts on Book 3: This really is a most satisfying conclusion to the trilogy. Watching Chess's evolution has been quite amazing, and I've also quite enjoyed seeing how Yancey and Ed and Songbird all grew and changed through the course of the trilogy.

These books are very LGBTQ oriented, with a number of characters from the QUILTBAG included, as well as the inherent hostility toward them of the time. Still, it was refreshing to see a piece set during the late 19th century that was open and honest about the existence of all types.

Ultimately there is not a lot I can say here without there ending up with spoilers, so I'll just say that I really did enjoy this book—this whole trilogy—quite a lot. Watch for my review of the omnibus, which also includes a bonus short story.

Series Information: The Hexslinger Series
Book 1: A Book of Tongues, review linked here
Book 2: A Rope of Thorns, review linked here
Book 3: A Tree of Bones

Disclosure: I received a copy of the omnibus from ChiZine in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: New Mexico, 1867: Months have passed since hexslinger Chess Pargeter sacrificed himself to restore the town of Bewelcome, once cursed to salt by his former lover, "Reverend" Asher Rook. Now a coalition led by Allan Pinkerton's Detective Agency lays siege to reborn Mayan goddess Ixchel's notorious "Hex City," the one place on earth where hexes can act in concert, and the desert just outside Bewelcome has become the front line in what threatens to become a new Civil War—one in which wild magic and black science clash headlong, producing carnage like nothing the world has ever seen! ( )
  Katyas | Dec 18, 2013 |
What a tremendously appropriate ending to the series. I adored it, obviously. (And now I want to start over again at the beginning just to get my heart broken all over.) ( )
  jen.e.moore | Mar 30, 2013 |

Apocalypse looms as a coalition lays seige to goddess Ixchel's Hex City and the area surrounding it becomes the front in a war between gods, monsters, and humans, and only Chess Pargeter, stuck in the underworld, can end the conflict.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,907,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible