Ethan of Athos (Baen Books Science Fiction)…

Ethan of Athos (Baen Books Science Fiction) (original 1986; edition 1995)

by Lois McMaster Bujold (Author)

1,951455,945 (3.68)1 / 181
Dr. Ethan Urquhart is Chief of Biology at a District Reproduction Center. He delivers babies from uterine replicators. You see, on Athos there are no women. In fact, the planet is forbidden to them. Isolated from the galactic community by distance and a lack of exploitable resources, the Athosians have peacefully lived their peculiar social experiment for 200 years. But now, the ovarian cultures dating back to the original settlement of the planet are giving out. With the future of Athos at stake, Ethan is chosen on behalf of his cloistered fellows for a unique mission: to brave the wider universe in quest of new ovarian tissue cultures to replenish Athos' dwindling stocks. Along the way, he must tangle with covert operatives, killers, telepathy, interplanetary politics, and perhaps most disturbingly--an indomitable female mercenary named Elli Quinn.… (more)
Member:Hu-llibrary
Title:Ethan of Athos (Baen Books Science Fiction)
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold (Author)
Info:Baen Books,U.S. (1995), Edition: Reissue, 256 pages

Ethan of Athos by Lois McMaster Bujold (1986)

Recently added byflavio.gallucci, private library, Steve_Walker, Illarion, fledenbach, Destornillalord
Legacy LibrariesInternational Space Station
    Glory Season by David Brin (jorvaor)
    jorvaor: Los argumentos son muy diferentes, pero en ambas novelas se describen sociedades el método de reproducción ha sido diseñado por científicos y es diferente del nuestro.
    Commitment Hour by James Alan Gardner (PhoenixFalls)
    A Brother's Price by Wen Spencer (infiniteletters)

English (44)  Italian (1)  All languages (45)
It reads as a backwater boy gets thrown into intergalactic espionage, but I particularly liked the setup for a planet of nothing but men eventually becoming the galaxy's largest repository of something that would spoil your reading of the book if you learned about it before-hand.

As sci-fi as social commentary, it wasn't very deep, but it did have significance for the eighties.

Overall, the novel was intended and succeeded at being a light adventure, but I'm slightly shallow in what I want from Ms. Bujold. I wanted more Miles and he was just referred to several times only. That's really quite okay, though, because our heroine was quite a handful. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Ethan of Athos, one of the Vorkosigan books not starring Miles or one of his family members. It’s a reverse “planet of women” story, only I didn’t figure that out until about 30% in when I read another reviewer’s notes. I don’t think it’s NECESSARY to know this stuff, btw, in order to enjoy any of these books. But it probably helps if you want to dig deeper into what’s going on in the writing/story.

Anyway, I liked it. The characters made the book for me; Ethan’s a great protagonist not only because he’s totally weird (he’s terrified of women!) but he also goes through great shifts in his beliefs. In a very realistic way, too! ( )
  doctorsidrat | Dec 9, 2018 |
Brilliant fun! Take this mostly horrible scifi concept of an all-female planet, reverse it to an all-male planet, then take it *seriously*. This poor protagonist doctor, sent out into the hostile and horrfyingly feminine universe, meets the brilliant Ellie Quinn of all people. It was SO MUCH FUN.
(Also, we get a gay happy end, in a way? Awwwww.) ( )
1 vote _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
I really loved this book. [a:Heidi Cullinan|3173295|Heidi Cullinan|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1258414504p2/3173295.jpg] recommended it to me in an "unofficial" side bet of the M/M Romance group "monthly pick it for me challenge" - or I might have never even picked it up.

Even though it was written in 1986, it contains quite a few new (to me - and I've read lots of sci-fi) and interesting ideas. It tells the story of an obstetrician/geneticist on the all-male planet of Athos. I liked the descriptions of a society where religious doctrine prescribes isolation from women, gay partnerships are the norm, and procreation is handled by technology. After 200 years of isolation this has led to quite a unique outlook and society. When Ethan is sent outside this protected circle he is confronted with quite a few surprises.

This is a great sci-fi story with only a few subtle m/m elements - much like I imagine a mainstream novel would look like on Athos. Very interesting! ( )
1 vote SerenaYates | Oct 14, 2017 |
What a cute story! I really was drawn into this one -- the same excellent eye for hidden implications of gravity in Falling Free is turned on gender in Ethan of Athos, and it's a delightful experience to see the pieces torn apart where I wasn't even noticing. The plot holds together, we get a bit more Quinn, and everything aligns in the end.... I was held rapt, of course. ( )
  pammab | Apr 16, 2017 |

Bujold, Lois McMasterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elson, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gutierrez, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jainschigg, NicholasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For those who listened in the beginning:
Dee, Dave, Laurie, Barbara, R.J., Wes,
and the patient ladies of the M. A. W. A.
The birth was progressing normally.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,722,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible