The Berenstain Bears' New Baby by Stan…

Series- 1st grade. This is part of my series to use in 1st grade. This one is about Mama bringing home a brand new baby.
  RachelHollingsworth | Feb 27, 2015 |
The Berenstain Bears are about to have a new baby. The brother bear needs a new bed because he has out grown it and make room for the new baby to have a place to sleep. While the dad and brother were out making the new bed. The mama had a baby girl. Brother bear was excited about being a brother and had to adjust to it.
I personal liked this book because I am having a baby soon and going through the same adjustment myself with my three year old.
In the classroom you can have baby's and teach the kids how to care for them at their age level.
  b.duggins13 | Feb 12, 2015 |
I had conflicting feelings about this book because although it is not one of the best books I have read, I feel that it serves a specific purpose and addresses a complex situation in a gentle and positive manner. The language used in this story is easy to understand for young readers, but I too had fun reading it from the perspective of an adult. In fact, I enjoyed the way the authors simplified the challenging topic of inviting a new baby into a home with another child. The detailed, colorful illustrations are perhaps the most powerful characteristic of this book, as they not only coincide with the story, but they also enhance the story dramatically. For example, the story refers to all the interesting activities for a young bear to do in Bear Country, but there are no examples of these activities in the text. Instead, the pictures show the small bear snorkeling, fishing, looking at a spider, flying a kite, etc. Without the illustrations, I feel the story would be uninteresting. The big idea of this story is that children can welcome a new addition to the family, especially with support of the parents. ( )
  kbrash1 | Feb 27, 2014 |
The Berenstain Bears’ New Baby tells how Small Bear got a new, larger bed–-very useful, since Sister Bear was soon to be born, and could use his old bed.

This is a standard kind of children’s book–-what happens when a child gains a younger sibling? I like this one a bit better than Thumper’s Little Sisters, which I reviewed earlier.

The story begins with Small Bear waking up and finding he is too big for his bed, so he and Papa Bear go out to make him a new bed, and Mama Bear pats her belly and says “You’ve outgrown that snug little bed just in time!” And ‘just in time’ it is, indeed. By the time Papa Bear and Small Bear get back, Mama Bear’s belly is quite a bit smaller, and a baby is lying in his old bed. Small Bear reflects that it will be fun to be a big brother, and so it ends.

One thing I like about this story is that Small Bear doesn’t dash off and cry out that he hates his new sister or anything like that. It’s very common in these kinds of stories for the older sibling to be quite put out by the new baby–fair enough, I guess it’s probably common enough in real life, too. Still, it’s nice to have some books where the older sibling reacts positively to the news.

(The full reviews is posted on my blog.) ( )
  Sopoforic | Feb 6, 2014 |
This is such a good book. I think that this book should be read in young learner classrooms all over the country. Of course it is Berenstain Bears so it is an absolute classic, but it is also a great story. There are so many children that deal with a new baby in the family every year they need some sort of support system that will help them learn and progress through the event. This is just the book to do it. ( )
  LauraMcQueen | Apr 27, 2013 |

Stan Berenstainprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berenstain, JanAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Berenstain, Janmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Illus. in full color. "This brightly illustrated story tells of a youngster's happy acceptance of a new addition to the family and how Mama and Papa Bear assist him with the adjustment."--Booklist.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:31 -0400)

Small Bear outgrows the bed his father made him when he was a baby--and none too soon.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,851,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible