The Berenstain Bears' New Baby by Stan…
Recently added byCCSpti, sultrydiva, private library, MaynardFRC, SSCSLibrary, kridha, MLBC2014, MarJanita

I had conflicting feelings about this book because although it is not one of the best books I have read, I feel that it serves a specific purpose and addresses a complex situation in a gentle and positive manner. The language used in this story is easy to understand for young readers, but I too had fun reading it from the perspective of an adult. In fact, I enjoyed the way the authors simplified the challenging topic of inviting a new baby into a home with another child. The detailed, colorful illustrations are perhaps the most powerful characteristic of this book, as they not only coincide with the story, but they also enhance the story dramatically. For example, the story refers to all the interesting activities for a young bear to do in Bear Country, but there are no examples of these activities in the text. Instead, the pictures show the small bear snorkeling, fishing, looking at a spider, flying a kite, etc. Without the illustrations, I feel the story would be uninteresting. The big idea of this story is that children can welcome a new addition to the family, especially with support of the parents. ( )
  kbrash1 | Feb 27, 2014 |
The Berenstain Bears’ New Baby tells how Small Bear got a new, larger bed–-very useful, since Sister Bear was soon to be born, and could use his old bed.

This is a standard kind of children’s book–-what happens when a child gains a younger sibling? I like this one a bit better than Thumper’s Little Sisters, which I reviewed earlier.

The story begins with Small Bear waking up and finding he is too big for his bed, so he and Papa Bear go out to make him a new bed, and Mama Bear pats her belly and says “You’ve outgrown that snug little bed just in time!” And ‘just in time’ it is, indeed. By the time Papa Bear and Small Bear get back, Mama Bear’s belly is quite a bit smaller, and a baby is lying in his old bed. Small Bear reflects that it will be fun to be a big brother, and so it ends.

One thing I like about this story is that Small Bear doesn’t dash off and cry out that he hates his new sister or anything like that. It’s very common in these kinds of stories for the older sibling to be quite put out by the new baby–fair enough, I guess it’s probably common enough in real life, too. Still, it’s nice to have some books where the older sibling reacts positively to the news.

(The full reviews is posted on my blog.) ( )
  Sopoforic | Feb 6, 2014 |
This is such a good book. I think that this book should be read in young learner classrooms all over the country. Of course it is Berenstain Bears so it is an absolute classic, but it is also a great story. There are so many children that deal with a new baby in the family every year they need some sort of support system that will help them learn and progress through the event. This is just the book to do it. ( )
  LauraMcQueen | Apr 27, 2013 |
This is a series about a family that goes through triumphs and mishaps. This book of the series introduces a baby into the family as we see the siblings and parents gather together to welcome the newborn. Of course there is humor and chaos along the way for this fun loving family.
  Danielle_Rumsky | Dec 12, 2012 |
The Berenstain Bears books are great for children to read outside of the classroom as they are both entertaining and explore issues relating to family and social relationships. There use in the classroom may not be as beneficial, but the themes explored are universally important to the age group being targeted and having these books on the classroom shelf wouldn't be a bad idea.
  Laura_Martorana | Dec 9, 2012 |

Stan Berenstainprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berenstain, Janmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Berenstain, JanAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Illus. in full color. "This brightly illustrated story tells of a youngster's happy acceptance of a new addition to the family and how Mama and Papa Bear assist him with the adjustment."--Booklist.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:28 -0400)

Small Bear outgrows the bed his father made him when he was a baby--and none too soon.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,886,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible