The Story Shell by Gloria Repp

The Story Shell

by Gloria Repp

The Story Shell by Gloria Repp is the second book in the Pibbin series and is just as delightful a story as the first book. As the book opens, Gaffer is preparing for his birthday party to be held that night and unlike most birthday parties, the birthday person gives gifts to all his/her friends. However, there is a big problem, Gaffer’s story shell is missing. He always has the shell beside him when he is telling a story. Pibbin comes to visit Gaffer and learns that the shell is missing. When he looks at the porch, he sees very large prints on the floor and begins to wonder what animal made the prints. Pibbin begins his search to find the shell and the story is about all the adventures he has trying to locate the lost shell. He faces danger in several places but there is always a friend ready to help him out of danger and also to help in the search. With help from an unexpected source, Pibbin is finally able to retrieve the lost shell. Not only is Pibbin searching for the lost shell, he is also trying to find his good friend Leeper who has been missing for quite some time. Leeper is found and rescued from a young beaver who was keeping Leeper for a toy. With Leeper and the shell both back where they belong, Gaffer has a wonderful birthday and delights everyone with the story he tells with the shell on the floor right next to his chair.

Gloria does it again in this second book about Pibbin. The personality of each animal was very skillfully developed and they almost took on human traits, the baby animals acted pretty much like baby humans and the old animals sometimes acted like grumpy old men or women. The wide range of ages in the animals added to my enjoyment of the book. At one point Pibbin said he “felt so small that he could hardly move or even think.” But this did not stop him from continuing to search for the story shell and for his friend Leeper. The dialogue of the animals was so realistic that I could almost forget that I was reading about animals. Gloria has the knack for making the little frogs and other animals come to life. This book also contained colorful, fun illustrations and in my opinion this added greatly to the story and I am sure that any young child would really enjoy the pictures. Since everyone was preparing for the birthday party, there was lot of cooking being done. My favorites were red bug cookies, dried beetle bars, and sweet and sour slugs. The slugs were Gaffer’s favorite.

I highly recommend this book to kids of all ages. It was written for young children but as a seventy-five year old, I enjoyed it very much and I don’t even like frogs.

Thanks to the author, Gloria Repp for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. ( )
  deanna13 | Mar 4, 2014 |
The Story Shell by Gloria Repp, Illustrated by Tim Davis 2011 Friendship Bog Series 2 ISBN 978-1460918104

Gaffers story shell has vanished. Pibbin must look for clues and find the story shell…..alone….as he cannot find his friend Leeper……..

The Shell Story by Gloria Repp, is the second story in the friendship Bog series. Pibbin goes on another adventure showing even the small can be brave, have courage and make huge accomplishments!
Recommended for ages 6 and up. ( )
  grammygeek | Feb 22, 2013 |

Gaffer's wonderful story shell has disappeared! Is there a thief in Friendship Bog? Its up to Pibbin to follow the tracks, find the shell, and solve the mystery, alone.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,368,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible