Not Proper Enough by Carolyn Jewel

Not Proper Enough

by Carolyn Jewel

Very sexy read. It took me a couple chapters to get into it but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I may need to read more from this author. ( )
  reneebooks | May 1, 2015 |
Not Proper Enough is the tale of Lady Eugenia Bryant and the Marquess of Fenris.. or "Fox" as he instructs Lady Eugenia to call him. These two characters are briefly introduced in Jewel's previous novel, Not Wicked Enough.

I have been trying to pinpoint exactly why I think these books are very appealing and a fast read as well. There is a decided lack of inner monologues that I find immensely appealing. That is not to say that there isn't any introspection, there certainly is; it's just that the novel isn't bogged down with the inner musings of the titled characters in every single chapter. Jewel does a fine job at pacing the story and using the scenes and conversations between the two main characters to reflect the thoughts and actions of said characters.

In general, I am very fond of the trope of finding yourself attracted to someone you that have no business of having feelings for, or even someone that you don't honestly like. I like the inner turmoil and how they eventually reconcile themselves to having feelings that are not in line with what they had felt before.

There is one scene in which Fox is relating to a friend his past history with Lady Eugenia and I have to say it blew me away. It made my gut clench and I had to stop and the put the book for a bit (ie: a couple of days actually). It's rare, for me, to have a book evoke a memory that strong that it takes me out of the story for a bit. I'm used to smiling or laughing if I come to a good bit..but recalling something that's happened previously because the author does an incredible job of making a certain scene nuanced and poignant.. well that's a gift. And Bravo, Ms. Jewel.

If I had any qualms about the novel in particular, it'd be the character of Hester (Lady Eugenia's charge to watch over) and Fenris's father, the Duke. But that's mainly my issue. When the subject of botany comes up in anyway shape or form, I get visions of my mom (who's a plant & gardening fiend) telling me what is Platanus occidentalis (ie: Sycamore tree) and what isn't. The subplot with Hester and the duke isn't particularly subtle.. and it's easy to see the direction that it's going .. so really, I suppose, that's my chief complaint with the entire novel.

If you haven't read Not Wicked Enough, I'd say you should definitely check it out..it just adds an edge of layering to the story around Not Proper Enough.

Oh.. and I won a copy of the ARC through a blog contest on the author's website. ( )
  Readsalot81 | Mar 30, 2013 |
As much as I love Carolyn Jewel, this romance had an odd relationship between the heroine and hero that was built on contradictions. Ultimately, I found it more annoying than endearing. She kept saying she hated him, yet she begins an affair with him. All the while she is pushing him away and acting like nothing was going on between them, they were having this secret affair! I liked him though, but it was just sort of weird, though some parts were very hot and sexy. I liked a lot about this book, but the push me pull you courtship took it's toll on me, to say the least. Plus the book felt rushed at the end. ( )
  ktleyed | Oct 1, 2012 |
added by AoifeT | editDear Author, Dabney Grinnan (Sep 20, 2012)

To my son for being wonderful and amazing
Grenville Foxman Talbot, Marquess of Fernis and eldest and only son of the Duke Camber, always slept the sleep of the innocent.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425250970, Mass Market Paperback)

Meant to be?

The Marquess of Fenris has loved Lady Eugenia from the day he first set eyes on her. Five years ago, pride caused him to earn her enmity. Now she's widowed, and he's determined to make amends and win her heart.  But with their near explosive attraction, can he resist his desire long enough to court her properly?
After the death of her beloved husband, Lady Eugenia Bryant has come to London to build a new life. Despite the gift of a medallion said to have the power to unite the wearer with her perfect match, Eugenia believes she won't love again. And yet, amid the social whirl of chaperoning a young friend through her first Season, she finds a second chance at happiness.
Unfortunately, the Marquess of Fenris threatens her newfound peace. Eugenia dislikes the man, but the handsome and wealthy heir to a dukedom is more charming than he has a right to be. Constantly underfoot, the rogue disturbs her heart, alternately delighting and scandalizing her.  And when their relationship takes a highly improper turn, Eugenia must decide if the wrong man isn’t the right one after all.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:04 -0400)

The Marquess of Fenris has loved Lady Eugenia from the day he first set eyes on her. Five years ago, pride caused him to earn her enmity. Now she's widowed, and he's determined to make amends and win her heart. But with their near explosive attraction, can he resist his desire long enough to court her properly?… (more)

Carolyn Jewel is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,900,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible