All the Blue-Eyed Angels by Jen Blood

All the Blue-Eyed Angels

by Jen Blood

All the Blue-Eyed Angels by Jen Blood
2 stars

Good book. Started slowly, she kept going back over & over the same background info and plot points so it was a little tedious. Okay, the island was deserted and spooky, you have a dog and a tragic past; got it, now tell me the story without revisiting those points over and over.

Once the author got comfortable with her characters & locations, she moved the plot right along. It was told in first person which made sense but she switches to a different character's point of view to go over yet again the mysterious island and the tragic fire. I would have liked less of that and more of the family story and interaction between the characters. They weren't fleshed out too well so more depth to them would have helped understand their actions a little better. Also, several choices made by Erin didn't make sense if she was an investigative journalist. I kept wondering why she didn't just make a call or go talk to someone instead of all the nail biting and indecision.

I 'get it'-this is romantic fiction with a mystery twist but it turned out to be not very romantic nor very mysterious. Blood tried to walk that thin line between dropping enough clues to keep the reader interested and giving the whole thing away-she succeeded at keeping me in the dark so much that I didn't really care by the end who had done it or even much of why they did it. But, I will say the last two chapters of the book were a lot tighter and I was intrigued enough by the clue crumbs about Erin's father that I will read the next in the series.

Also spotted a minor error that bugged me to the point I stopped reading and looked it up for myself! The entire sentence could have been left out-it had no relevance to the story and only served to make me wonder what else the author tried to slip past me. ( )
  keenchris | Mar 26, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 098514470X, Paperback)

The first novel in the critically-acclaimed pentalogy finds investigative journalist Erin Solomon striving to solve a mystery that has haunted her since childhood: a fatal fire at the Payson Church of Tomorrow, the isolated fundamentalist community where Erin lived with her father for the first ten years of her life. When what was presumed to be cult suicide turns out to be anything but, Erin returns to her hometown to find the truth behind the tragedy. Now, isolated on the Maine coast with an old flame and a handsome newcomer with his own dark past, Erin will risk everything to uncover the secrets of Payson Isle - secrets someone will kill to keep buried.

The second and third novels in the series, SINS OF THE FATHER and SOUTHERN CROSS, are also available.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:48 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,944,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible