The Baron's Governess Bride by Deborah Hale

The Baron's Governess Bride

by Deborah Hale

“The Baron’s Governess Bride” by Deborah Hale was a delightful tale of a beautiful young woman and a dashing Baron. Miss Grace Ellery was the daughter of a minister who had died when she was very young. She was sent to a school for children of the clergy for most of her childhood. She was so beautiful that when she was hired as a governess for various families, invariably a man in the family, or a family friend, or son of the family would attempt to make her their mistress. She responded by covering up her loveliness with baggy clothes and bonnets. When she applied for the job as governess to widower Baron Steadwell’s (Rupert Kendrick’s) three daughters, Charlotte, Phoebe and Sophie, she presented herself as a very plain woman. This enticed Rupert to hire her because he was tired of his governesses running off to get married. So he decided that this plain woman would be the perfect governess and would stay with his daughters until they were grown. The girls’ other governesses had quite a time taming the girls to their will and the girls saw to it that the other women left after a time. Grace was very capable of taking care of these girls and seeing to it that they eventually accepted her and then desired her for their real mother. This story is about Grace and Rupert’s almost non-existent courtship. You will enjoy this for a very light read.

I received a free Kindle copy of this book for my honest review. The opinions expressed here are my own.

http://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8=✓&q=The Baron's Governess Bride&search_type=books&search[field]=title ( )
  SilverShrew | Feb 20, 2014 |
Oh my! This novel had all the romance, struggle and drama one could expect from a Jane Austen book! It was the story of Cinderella, yet quite different as well, and I could safely say that I loved every single bit of it.

I must be honest though and say that I approached "The Baron's Governess Bride" with caution. I wasn't sure whether I'd find in it what I'd expected, and indeed I didn't. I'd expected something average, but it turned out to be superior.

I'm a sucker for quality romance of the historical genre, and Ms. Hale's story completely won me over. From the very beginning, I was acquainted with both leading characters. I got to see their reasoning, their feelings, their fears. I felt sad and outraged because of their hurt and trials. And I respected them for their desire to fight for their happiness. Could you believe it if I said that I even cried a little at one point? That's how touched I felt!

The fact that both Lord Steadwell and Ms. Grace Ellerby were amiable characters with realistic personalities, made me want to cherish this story as much as I do "Pride and Prejudice".

Now more about the characters themselves:

*Grace was a young woman who had never felt good in her own skin due to the constant pestering of people who envied her beauty. She ended up hating her looks, because they only brought her trouble. She was smart, educated in everything (and perhaps beyond) that a self-respecting young woman should know, and yet very humble. I loved her personality because of its complexity. Grace just felt real, like a friend I'd known my whole life. It was nice to read her fairy tale.

*Rupert, Lord Steadwell - as his name suggests is a man of steady heart. He'd spent the past 4 years mourning his late wife, whom he'd loved dearly. I'm pretty sure he would've spent 4 more years in grief had he not met Grace and fallen for the charms of her personality. I was pleasantly surprised by how honorable Rupert was. Even in his anger he rarely raised his voice. It was obvious that he was not a person of conflict, that he'd rather settle everything quietly, with understanding. And he was just. In more than one occasion he could've been harsher with Grace, but he was kind and understanding. Also, the fact that other noblemen respected him and his political opinions was a great advantage - a clever man is always a good asset.

*Rupert's daughters were such amiable creatures! I loved all three of them. Sure, Charlotte, the eldest, was a tough nut to crack, but once she was won over, she was Grace's firmest ally. Little, sweet Sophie could stir anyone's heart, and Phoebe's quick with and bright character were a nice addition to the family.

If you love nice historical romance, if you are a Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte sort of reader, this book would be just right for you. It was just right for me. ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
*I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review of this book*

This and other reviews can be found on my blog: (un)Conventional Bookviews.

This was a very sweet and innocent historical romance. A quick read, a little predictable, but still very enjoyable. ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
3 1/2 stars. This was a sweet Cinderella story with a touch of The Sound of Music (minus the singing)--I read it in a single sitting. Though the baron is at times a little too good to be true, and Grace might take the whole "I have to be ugly" bit a tad too far, overall it was a satisfying read and offered a nice break from reality. I really liked the way faith was neatly woven into the story--not at all preachy and in your face as it is in some Christian books. Grace's friends' stories are alluded to (two of their books have been released already--The Captain's Christmas Family and Much Ado About Nuptials, in the book The Wedding Season--and one more is to come) and I will definitely aim to read them in the future. ( )
  beckymmoe | Apr 3, 2013 |
Wednesday, May 30, 2012Review:The Barons Governess Bride by Deborah Hale
5 STARS I listened to this book on my kindle and it was really enjoyable. I hate to admit this today I realize right away it was a new twist on cinderella but it was along ways into the book before I realized the Name. Sometimes I need a wack on the head. I had to put the book down a few times when unexpected company came to visit. Then my daughter wrote her first email to me from the MTC where she is training for her mission. She has now been out a week. Grace Ellerby is a nanny but she has had three previous jobs and because of her beauty had attracted the wrong men so she had to leave. Grace decided for this next job she would play down her beauty by wearing ugly cap that hid all her hair. Her late fathers glasses. Lord Steadwell is having to find a new nanny for his three daughters after the last one eloped with a neighbor. So he plans to hire the most plainest nanny so she will stay untill his daughters no longer need her. Grace's father was a minaster and he remarried after his wife died. Then he died and her stepmother sent her away at 8 to a school for minsters children. Her stepmother treated her badly so did the teachers at her school because of how pretty she was. Charlotte age 13, Phoebe age 10 and Sophie age 6. It takes a while but the two youngest warm up to her the fastest. Soon they are all getting to know each other pretty well. Then Lord Steadwell decides that he needs to marry and does not want to fall in love again. So he plans to wed a neighbor widow who has just come out of mourning and has one son. I like the characters especially the children. I can just see where Grace is coming from where she has not known love expect for school friends since she was 8. No wonder she is afraid of how a new stepmother for her charges when their was no love between them. This book just hit the spot today. was fun to read and picture the scenes in my mind. I was given this ebook to read in exchange of honest review from Netgalley. Thier are no warnings about content of this book. 06/05/2012 PUB Harlequin Harlequin Love Inspired Historical ( )
  rhonda1111 | May 31, 2012 |
Let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. ---1 Peter 3:4
To Elaine Logan Melanson, a wonderful mother and stepmother and an amazing friend! I've been waiting for just the right story to dedicate to you, and this was it.
Berkshire, England
Most governesses heading off to meet with a prospective employer for the first time would have made every effort to look their best.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373829205, Mass Market Paperback)

Lord Steadwell's three motherless daughters were heartbroken when their last governess ran off to elope. In her dowdy cap and spectacles, Grace Ellerby seems an ideal replacement—a nurturing, intelligent woman uninterested in marriage. No wonder Rupert doesn't recognize Grace as the golden-haired vision at a masked ball, who slips away before midnight….

Frightened by the unwanted attentions of previous employers, Grace resolved to hide her beauty…and her growing feelings for Rupert. One enchanted evening—and a sweet, breathtaking kiss—changes everything. For with Grace's three adorable charges playing fairy godmother, Rupert may discover his happy ending is closer than he thinks.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:41 -0400)

"Lord Steadwell's three motherless daughters were heartbroken when their last governess ran off to elope. In her dowdy cap and spectacles, Grace Ellerby seems an ideal replacement-a nurturing, intelligent woman uninterested in marriage. No wonder Rupert doesn't recognize Grace as the golden-haired vision at a masked ball, who slips away before midnight. Frightened by the unwanted attentions of previous employers, Grace resolved to hide her beauty ... and her growing feelings for Rupert. One enchanted evening-and a sweet, breathtaking kiss-changes everything. For with Grace's three adorable charges playing fairy godmother, Rupert may discover his happy ending is closer than he thinks."--Cover verso.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,384,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible