The Boston Coffee Party (I Can Read Book 3)…

The Boston Coffee Party (I Can Read Book 3) (1988)

by Doreen Rappaport

Other authors: Emily Arnold McCully (Illustrator)

Series: I Can Read Books (Level 3)

During the Revolutionary War, two young sisters help a group of Boston women get coffee from a greedy merchant.

This easy reader book tells us the real-life events about the hard times during colonial Boston during the war. This is a story of women rebellion during the American Revolution. Mrs. Homan's daughters are in search of sugar when they find Merchant Thomas is overcharging for his sugar. Mrs. Homan is outraged by his greedy behavior with the help of her daughters and other friends they decide to teach him a lesson. The women invade his shop and take his coffee. He declares the women will be sorry but they reply not as sorry as he will be when the men return from war. Greed is not a money problem. It is a heart problem! ( )
  KRWallace | Sep 4, 2019 |
A merchant named Thomas tries to get away with stocking up on goods so that he can sell them for extremely high prices after everyone else runs out. The colonial women decide that they have had enough of this merchants greed so they decide to have a coffee party much like their husbands' Boston Tea Party.
  gakers16 | Feb 25, 2018 |
This book was actually very enjoyable. It was structured differently from every other picture book I've read for this class and it was refreshing. After the first chapter I didn't really know where the story was going and for a page or two I thought the story had completely changed. It was funny to see the greedy merchant get what was coming to him. Kids would love to read about this and would be even more shocked to see that it was based on a real event. Though kids shouldn't be taught to necessarily do what these women did, it is a cute little story for enjoyment. ( )
  JasonCam1 | Feb 16, 2018 |
Age: Intermediate
Media: Water Colors

The genre of this book is Historical Fiction. It is historical fiction because the story is based on real events that happened during the Revolutionary War, but they are fictional because the characters are not real. The main characters in the story are Emma and her sister Sarah. Throughout the book, they both gain valuable leadership skills which help them to come of age. They are both deep characters because they show growth. The setting of this book is in Boston, which is important to the story because it shows the relationship between these events and the Boston Tea Party which is a separate event. ( )
  mulstad07 | Nov 21, 2010 |
The Boston Coffee Party is about a group of women who lived during the reveolutionary war. A merchant in town was holding back goods so when he was the only one with that good he could over charge. The women got together and forced him to hand over the coffee. This story is based on an event that took place in the 1760's which was witnessed and recounted by Abigail Adams. I would do a study on the Revolutionary War, and use this book as a way to show other events that occured during this war. I would also use this book to show that the women also fought hard in other ways during the war.
  savannahmcallister | Mar 27, 2010 |

Rappaport, Doreenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCully, Emily ArnoldIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,926,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible