I Dare (Liaden Universe Novel Series) by…
Member:ltimmel
Title:I Dare (Liaden Universe Novel Series)
Authors:Sharon Lee
Other authors:Steve Miller
Info:Meisha Merlin Publishing, Inc. (2007), Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:***

I Dare by Sharon Lee (Author) (2002)

Review pending ( )
  leslie.98 | Mar 13, 2018 |
The Liaden Universe series by Sharon Lee just keeps getting better with each book that I read. I have just finished I Dare and it was a deliciously satisfying read. These books are chock full of excellent characters that I have come to love and now, the author has added even more. The story picks up immediately after the last book, Plan B, and the action is non-stop as the members of Clan Korval are fleeing from the Department of the Interior and aiding their allies to thwart an invasion of the Yxtrangs on the planet of Lytaxin. The Department intends to eliminate all the clan members except for the black sheep of the family, Pat Rin, whom they intend to turn into their puppet.

Pat Rin is an elegant man, an expert gambler and a top-notch sure-shooter, but unfortunately an outsider in his family but luckily he has unexpected depths and no use for the Department’s plan. He is working on several schemes of his own, including revenge for his family whom he believes have been murdered. With the beautiful and dangerous Natesa at his side he is working to reform a lawless planet.

This series is great escapism reading as it totally immerses the reader in a very different place and time. High adventure, romance and excellent story-lines make these books a feast for the imagination. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Feb 28, 2018 |
   This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and   permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.tumblr.com by express permission of this reviewer.    Title: I Dare  Series: Liaden Universe  Author: Sharon Lee & Steve Miller  Rating: 4 of 5 Stars  Genre: SF  Pages: 416     Synopsis: The Ministry of the Interior pretends to have killed off all the members of the Korval clan, except for Pat-rin the Playboy, in an attempt to bend him to their will. Pat-rin's playboy exterior only covers a true Korval core and he attempts to start the clan over on a new world, with new allies. However, the Clan is NOT dead and Val Con the Head of the Clan formulates a plan to save himself, the Clan and all of Liad from the depredations of the Ministry.   My Thoughts: I didn't enjoy this book as much as the previous Liad books, mainly because Pat-rin is too wracked with guilt, self-loathing and self-doubt. However, seeing the Ministry of the Interior get theirs was pretty good.   The romance side of things was ok, with several couples spontaneously life-mating, one pair through a dream no less.  I rolled my eyes but I didn't feel dirty or disgusted like I would with that smut that passes for romance these days.   Each book I read is bittersweet, as I enjoy them so much and each book finished means I'm one book closer to the end. I ration myself. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
3.5 stars ( )
  Aelianna | Jun 5, 2013 |
Not a favourite despite it's bringing together an end of various previous plot lines. It is Not a suitable place to begin reading the Liaden series.

Very jumpy with a lot of switches in character and location - not all as well signaled as the should have been. This picks up from the scenes at the end of Plan B, with Korval more or less re-united offworld but under attack from the Deptartment of the interior. I'm not quite sure why they're re-united because the Plan calls for them to scatter far and wide. However they have done so, and this describes most of the actions they take as Balance, in returning to Liad. In this they are aided by Pat Rin, dis-favoured cousin who has fled to Surebleak (Mira's old homeworld). Pat Rin setsabout on conquest within a remarkable period of time before discovering his lifemate - somewhat predicatbly. Korval now seems to have only lifemated partners, and how it will manage it's genetic diversity remains unasked.

Other than that much as other Liaden books. But somewho short of action and plot - probably because of the frequent character jumps. I feel it would have been much better as Pat Rin's book with another covering the eventual Balance. ( )
  reading_fox | Sep 24, 2012 |

Modesitt, L. E., Jr.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murphy, KevinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rogers, JulieText Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

They had doubted his skill.
We do the best that we are able, my child. We make the best decision we may, dependent upon our experience and our training. It is what we owe to kin and to those who reside under our care. If it were true, I would tell you that necessity makes us wise. What I will tell you is that we all do our best; that we all make errors; and that those who love us will forgive us.

This long-awaited culmination of the Locus best –selling Agent of Change sequence of Sharon Lee and Steve Miller’s internationally acclaimed Liaden Universe® novels, pits unexpected friends and enemies against each other in a war that spans planets and races and threatens to bring interstellar violence to the very surface of fabled Liad.

Val Con yos’Phelium – a Scout, former Agent of Change, husband, brother to Turtles, and designated heir to Clan Korval’s fortune and mission…whether you considered him respectable or not, no one would call him a gambling man. When he reappears demanding Balance and retribution, on his capable shoulders the fate of his Clan, his world, and his civilization…

Pat Rin yos’Phelium – fond father, bon vivant, ne’er-do-well…and a professional gambler. The enemies of Korval have offered Pat Rin the Ring that would make all of Korval’s holdings his own and a Juntavas Judge has offered Pat Rin a world…When he appears with hired guns in tow no one is expecting him and no one knows what he’ll do.

For you see, Pat Rin is a gambling man.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441010857, Mass Market Paperback)

In the action-packed conclusion to the saga of the Liaden Universe(r), the war between Clan Korval and the sinister Department of the Interior escalates as the DOI attempts to recruit Val Con's less than scrupulous cousin to their cause...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:08 -0400)

Sharon Lee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,536,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible