Komarr (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures) by Lois…

Komarr (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures) (original 1998; edition 1999)

by Lois McMaster Bujold

Title:Komarr (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Info:Baen (1999), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:science fiction

Komarr by Lois McMaster Bujold (1998)

English (36)  Italian (1)  All languages (37)
Second time reading, I was able to savor Ekaterin's character more thoroughly. Thank you Lois for another hugely entertaining and thoughtful book. ( )
  2wonderY | Aug 31, 2015 |
In his new role as Imperial Auditor, Miles is sent to Komarr to investigate an accident. Not very popular there (his father is called The Butcher of Komarr, however unjustified), he soon finds much more than he ever bargained for.

Why can't all books be written this well? Bujold takes a subject I am not much interested in (scifi, future) and makes it one of my absolute favorite series to read. I think this is because she nails characters and dialog, and also moral dilemmas. Miles is a bit impetuous in love, but then, isn't he in everything? ( )
  MrsLee | Aug 8, 2015 |
What a marvelously fun and exciting entry in the Vorkosigan series! I couldn't stop listening to Grover Gardner's excellent narration but did read along a fair amount. So glad to see Miles happily launched on his new career after losing the Dendarii mercenary fleet in the previous book. And a new love interest too! I hope that this one works out for him. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 21, 2015 |
It's amazing that such a long running series can keep such momentum, even get better. I'd rate this book about the same as the last, except we're introduced to a new character that I have great hopes for. It's a twisty mystery with a lot to say, as usual. We get to see Miles played off against other characters - especially one - that makes for a great story & really brings home a lot of the lessons he's learned. Good ones, too. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
There is a mystery to solve on Komarr and Miles is sent in his new role as Imperial Auditor. There he befriends a Vor woman who has an unhappy marriage and a son with a genetic disorder. Each of them learns a lot from the other and Miles specifically has some insights about his own body image. To enjoy this story fully, you should read The Borders of Infinity first.

http://www.fantasyliterature.com/fantasy-author/bujoldloismcmaster/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gambino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The last gleaming sliver of Komarr's true-sun melted out of sight beyond the low hills on the western horizon.
Miles: Fortunately for my credit, from the outside most people can't tell the rapid exploitation of a belatedly recognized opportunity from deep-laid planning.
Aim high. You may still miss the target but at least you won't shoot your foot off.
Her late husband had called her Kat. A pet name. A little name. As if he hadn't time to pronounce the whole thing, or wish to be bothered...But Ekaterin was light on the teeth and the tip of the tongue, yet elegant and dignified and entirely worth an extra second of, of anyone's time.
Tien's antilegacy clouded the glimmerings of the new future she ached to claim for herself. She imagined a bird, released from ten years in a cage, told she could fly free - as soon as these lead weights were attached to her feet.
This bird's going to get there if she has to walk every step.
(Miles, encouraging Nikki to return to school)
"It's not as daunting the second time. I wished later I could have started with the second time. But the only way to get to the second time is to do the first time. Seems paradoxical, that the fastest way to get to easy is through the hard. In this case, I can't spare you an ImpSec agent to check out your school for antimutant activity."

Miles Vorkosigan arrives on the Barrayaran colony planet Komarr to investigate the destruction of a freighter which has crashed into the orbital mirror display - a mechanism vital to the planet's long-term terraforming programme. Miles's emperor, Gregor, is about to marry a Komarran princess, and relations between the empire and its possession must remain smooth.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671578081, Mass Market Paperback)

Lois McMaster Bujold comes through again with another sharp Miles Vorkosigan novel. Komarr can be read as a standalone, though it is part of a whole series. (Komarr brings the total to 16 books!) Miles is a hugely popular character with fans--and they won't be disappointed with his latest adventure.

The planet Komarr is undergoing centuries-long terraforming when one of the orbiting mirrors crucial to the effort is smashed by an off-course ship. Miles Vorkosigan is sent to Komarr to investigate the incident; once there, he becomes embroiled in political and scientific battles. To make matters worse, the name Vorkosigan is anathema on Komarr. But our intrepid hero can't be put down easily. While trying to save Komarr, he manages... maybe... to find true love at last! Bujold's original and intelligent blend of politics, science, and cliffhanging-good space opera makes this book a satisfying adventure and a charming romance. --Therese Littleton

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:27 -0400)

Agent Miles Vorkosigan investigates terrorism and financial speculation on the planet Komarr. The story is told through the eyes of Ekaterin, the unhappily married wife of a government official with whom Vorkosigan falls in love.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,945,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible