Mercury: An Intimate Biography of Freddie…

Mercury: An Intimate Biography of Freddie Mercury

by Lesley-Ann Jones

An intimate complex portrait of an "unmatched songwriter-showman"
A carefully documented look (realistic yet not sensational) at Queens" outrageous" frontman

"An unvarnished look at the extreme highs and lows of life in the fast lane.
At the heart of this story is a man . . . and the music he loved."

It felt almost dangerous to immerse myself in this reading.
The many photos available added a quality of realism to the outrageous tone of the bio.
As Queen rose in fame, Freddie descended further into pleasure seeking excesses.

His persona developed with flamboyance and melodrama.
It was quite interesting to see more clearly the man behind the glittering facade.

Of course, not for everyone.....

But if you choose to read this, it is well presented and was enlightening to me. ( )
  pennsylady | Jan 27, 2016 |
Freddie Mercury was a remarkable musician and performers who faced personal demons. Author Jones traced his life and accomplishments as most fans do, through stories, articles, and reminisces from those who once interacted with him. Although there are acknowledgments, a chronology of Mercury’s life, a discography of his music, and a select bibliography, the volume lacks footnotes/endnotes that lend credibility to the well-researched autobiography. Still it was an interest read about a very interesting individual. ( )
  bemislibrary | Jan 24, 2016 |
Eerste keer dat ik een biografie las. Viel me beter mee dan verwacht, maar ben dan ook een Queen fan. :-) Het las bij momenten als een roman, maar het was niet altijd even eenvoudig volgen.

Ik bleef vooral wat op m'n honger zitten op het einde over z'n dood en de periode erna.

De focus ligt goed op Freddie en niet op Queen. Ik vermoed wel dat de auteur alles door de ogen van een fan bekijkt, want sommige negatieve elementen worden vaak slechts licht behandeld (druggebruik, prosmiscuïteit, ...).

Al bij al wel een aanrader voor mensen die wat meer over de beste stem ter wereld willen te weten komen. ( )
  bbbart | May 30, 2015 |
An insightful, completely engrossing portrait of the Queen frontman and quintessential rock star. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
Mercury by Lesley-Ann Jones is the first biography I've listened to on audio. I wasn't quite sure what to expect-performance wise. I was pleasantly surprised. Jane Collingwood is the main narrator, but there are other voices that chime in for various interviews by various people. I liked this aspect of listening to a biography on audio. I think it broke up what could have been a potentially tiresome reading of another person's life. Not that Freddie Mercury's life was boring at all, just someone reading the details of his life might be tiresome.
The title of this book indicates that it holds several intimate details of Freddie Mercury, the lead singer in Queen. Before I 'read' this book, I knew a few things about Mercury, and the life he led. After reading this book I think only a few people really knew the real Freddie. The books begins in Freddie Mercury's childhood. Jones spends a brief time in this area of his life before going on to the years when he met fellow band members and forming their band, Queen. Freddie was a larger-than-life personality on stage, and a brilliant musician. Off the stage, he was a more private person. He led the extraordinary life of a rock star. He worked with some of rock's greatest performers such as Michael Jackson, Elton John, and David Bowie. The book travels through these professional years with a closer look at Freddie's personal life. It takes you through to the end of his life, when he died from AIDS.
I enjoyed listening to this book and the different accounts taken from the people in his life. I think there is a side to Freddie that he only revealed to a few people. While this book goes into detail about Freddie's life, I don't think it paints a completely accurate picture of who Freddie Mercury really was. Freddie Mercury was and still is an enigma. ( )
  mt256 | Oct 13, 2012 |
The 2011 edition of Freddie Mercury: The Definitive Biography was published as Mercury: An Intimate Biography in the United States in 2012.

This rock biography is a revealing, intimate look at the man who would be Queen. The lead vocalist for the iconic rock band Queen, Freddie Mercury's unmatched skills as a songwriter and his flamboyant showmanship made him a superstar and Queen a household name. But despite his worldwide fame, few people ever really glimpsed the man behind the glittering facade. Now, more than twenty years after his death, those closest to Mercury are finally opening up about this pivotal figure in rock 'n roll. Based on more than a hundred interviews with key figures in his life, the author, a rock journalist offers the definitive account of one man's legendary life in the spotlight and behind the scenes. She gained unprecedented access to Mercury's tribe, and she details Queen's slow but steady rise to fame and Mercury's descent into dangerous, pleasure-seeking excesses. This was, after all, a man who once declared, "Darling, I'm doing everything with everyone." In her journey to understand Mercury, she traveled to London, Zanzibar, and India, talking with everyone from Mercury's closest friends to the sound engineer at Band Aid (who was responsible for making Queen even louder than the other bands) to second cousins halfway around the world. In the process, an intimate and complicated portrait emerges. It offers an unvarnished look at the extreme highs and lows of life in the fast lane. At the heart of this story is a man and the music he loved.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,017,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible