Gone to the Forest by Katie Kitamura

Gone to the Forest

by Katie Kitamura

This novel is written in such a way that it is difficult to tell whose point of view it is written from. It goes from past to present and back again; sometimes looking inward at the characters, and other times looking outward FROM the characters. Unfortunately I did not care for this writing style as it was very difficult for me to follow. I found that I did not particularly care for any of the characters and because of that the story really did not move me.

By the end of the book none of my questions were really answered.. ( )
  brenda.youngerman | Jan 29, 2013 |
It took me a little while to get used to Kitamura's writing style, which is sparse and distant as well as rife with sentence fragments. The distance also made it difficult to connect emotionally with the characters; the story always seemed aloof from me as the reader. I figured out from the first couple of chapters that the majority of the book would be rather slow, not terribly interesting but picking up rather suddenly towards the end. I was right. The plot certainly becomes more engrossing as the novel heads toward its conclusion and the exploration of postcolonial issues becomes more clear. The country in which the book is set is unspecified, intentionally designed more as an anonymous hodgepodge of various locales and events. With this, by its ending the novel has become an intriguing examination of how one colonial family is falling apart as the landscape and community around it disintegrates into civil war. ( )
  SusieBookworm | Aug 9, 2012 |

When a young woman named Carine enters their lives, Tom and his controlling father, who have fashioned a strained peace on their family farm, reach the breaking point, while a catastrophic volcanic eruption thrusts a discontented nation into open revolution.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,927,684 books! | Top bar: Always visible