One Last Thing Before I Go by Jonathan…

One Last Thing Before I Go

by Jonathan Tropper

Disappointing. Consistently entertaining, but thin and lacking in insight. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
Solid 4.5 stars. Witty, charming, poignant and an all around great story. Loved it. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
3.5 stars ( )
  susan.h.schofield | Sep 30, 2015 |
This was a book from my other book club that I missed, so when I finished The Wind Through the Keyhole so quickly I decided to pick it up and have a go. This is the story of Drew Silver, a loser. He was in a band with a hit song, the the band broke up. He was in a marriage, then the marriage broke up. Now he lives a lonely depressing life, and to top it off he finds out he is dying and his daughter is pregnant. Silver must struggle with the relationships in his life and try to mend some of his mistakes, while deciding if he wants to fight for his life, or just accept his death.

Surprisingly, this was a page turner, there were times when I couldn’t put it down. I really thought in the first chapter of so when I was reading about the disaster that was Silver’s life that this would be depressing and an awful read. But the writing was wonderful, there was an easy flow to the storytelling, nothing fancy, just a good story well written. I think the fact that all the characters in the book are so flawed and broken, makes them relatable and loveable.

There was a great rhythm in both the writing and the storyline. There were no super fast or thrilling sections of the book, but neither were there slow sections. You just rolled along at a happy place, and often I found that I was rolling so well that I couldn’t find a place to stop. I’m not afraid to say that this book made me cry at some parts, they were just so well written and touching. I didn’t have any laugh out loud moments, but those are much harder for a book to get from me. I did quietly chuckle once or twice though.
For additional reviews please see my blog at www.adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com
  Serinde24 | Sep 27, 2015 |
As depressing as this book was, on some level I enjoyed it even more than This is Where I Leave You. Angst ridden loser dad is one of the saddest and truest characters I've read in ages. Thanks JT! ( )
  whitebalcony | Jun 15, 2015 |

The bestselling author of This Is Where I Leave You returns with a hilarious and heart-rending tale about one family's struggle to reconnect.

You don’t have to look very hard at Drew Silver to see that mistakes have been made. His fleeting fame as the drummer for a one-hit wonder rock band is nearly a decade behind him. He lives in the Versailles, an apartment building filled almost exclusively with divorced men like him, and makes a living playing in wedding bands. His ex-wife, Denise, is about to marry a guy Silver can’t quite bring himself to hate. And his Princeton-bound teenage daughter Casey has just confided in him that she’s pregnant—because Silver is the one she cares least about letting down.

So when he learns that his heart requires emergency, lifesaving surgery, Silver makes the radical decision to refuse the operation, choosing instead to use what little time he has left to repair his relationship with Casey, become a better man, and live in the moment, even if that moment isn't destined to last very long. As his exasperated family looks on, Silver grapples with the ultimate question of whether or not his own life is worth saving.

With the wedding looming and both Silver and Casey in crisis, this broken family struggles to come together, only to risk damaging each other even more. One Last Thing Before I Go is Jonathan Tropper at his funny, insightful, heartbreaking best.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:14 -0400)

"No wonder Silver is feeling slightly desperate: his ex-wife is about to marry a terrific guy, his Princeton-bound daughter announces that she's pregnant, and if he doesn't acquiesce to an operation, he will soon drop dead."--Library Journal.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,644,642 books! | Top bar: Always visible