Change of Pace by Sofia Essen

Change of Pace

by Sofia Essen

322,001,085 (4)None
Recently added byfaniP, arlenadean, SofiaEssen

Anne gets dumped from her boyfriend and fired from her job in New York in the space of a week. Shocked and confused she decides to run away from her troubles and jumps on the first plane which takes her to Greece. In the plane she meets Alex, a charming, British rogue who's changed more jobs than shirts and who proposes to her to join him in Crete where he'll be staying. In a quaint, small village outside Chania, Anne lives in a lovely but dillapitating old house, meets the weird but friendly villagers, drinks tons of Retsina (local white wine) and finds her inner peace while starting on a budding romance with a not-so-rogue Alex.'Change of Pace' was a charming, sweet, heartwarming story about a girl who finds happiness in the simpler things in life. Anne is a girl much like you and me, slightly insecure, hard working and organized, so it was easy to connect with her, but by the end of the book, she finds out that friends, calmness and a nice environment to live in suit her much better. I liked her quirky humor, her willingness to approach different people without criticizing them and her frankness with herself and others. But most of all, I liked the writing; the writing was simply brilliant, especially during the first half of the book, where the humorous elements where much more often. It was sarcastic, witty and emotional when need be; the graphic descriptions of Cretan countryside and villages were vivid and made me actually see in my mind the places described in the book. And I especially liked the fact that for a foreign author, Sofia Essen had the Greek facts -and words- pegged down correctly, as opposed to some authors who claimed to have lived in Greece but end up writing down a bunch of inauthentic stuff.What I didn't very much like in the book, hence the 4 stars, is the fact that in the second half, the book kind of lost its focus and its heroine; the heroine's mother and her life took too much space and time that I didn't feel were needed. In fact if some pages were missing in that part, I don't think I'd notice, as the pace slowed down considerably. The ending though and the unexpected twist there rejuvenated my interest in the story.All in all, this was a very nice, fresh, charming book that would make a great beach read for the summer. And I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Sofia Essen won't stop here but will provide me with something new to read soon, as I loved her writing so much! The book was kindly provided by the author for an honest review ( )
  faniP | Aug 24, 2012 |
Author: Sofia Essen
Published By: 48Fourteen
Age Recommended: Adult
Rating: 4
Blog For: GMTA

Review:

"Change of Pace" by Sofia Essen was definitely a pace that Anne Cox needed after being dumped by her boyfriend, fired from her New York job after ten years and turning thirty...all in the same week. So, Anne jumps on a plane to Greece, meets Alex Collins and end up in Crete... then a small village outside Chania called Drapanias at a Bed/Breakfast that belonged to Alex's mom..Jane. In this new place Anne meet the friendly villagers and starts to blend in even enjoying the local white wine...Restsina and then a romance with ...this Alex guy. Has Anne finally found happiness like she has never had before...just loving the simple things in life? Now, I will stop at this point and say you must pick up "Change of Pace" to see how this sweet and heartwarming story plays out. You will find out that..." Anne is a girl much like you and me, slightly insecure, hard working and organized, so it was easy to connect with her, but by the end of the book, she finds out that friends, calmness and a nice environment to live in suit her much better" than the hassle and busy life Anne had in New York.

Be ready for a good read...it's rather long winded...but if you would like some humor elements with some seriousness...then you have come to the right place. The authors' descriptions are very solid and so interesting....making it seem as you are right there. Also, I like the story being told in first person.

All of the characters were simply wonderful..from Anne, Alex, Daisy, Jane, Eleni, George,George(female), Olivia, Baker Slelios, Rula, Tom, Yannis, Maria,Sofia, Jacqueline Cox(Jack),Tiny (dog), Nikos, Mrs. Collins, Olga, Georgia, Oliver Trent, to Richard and I am sure I have left one or two out so pick up "Change of Pace" to find out who it is.

If you are in for a good romantic read with lots of twist and turns.."Change of Pace" is for you. You will find it very interesting read that I would recommend to you. ( )
  arlenadean | Aug 5, 2012 |
We're going to crash!
Sometimes, to find yourself it takes leaving everything you know behind...

Anna Cox thought she knew where her life was heading. She was wrong. The same week she turns thirty, she suddenly finds herself unemployed and single.

After ten years of steadily climbing her way up the corporate ladder at Milton International, her dream of one day occupying her boss’ corner office with the enormous windows has been ripped from her thanks to a round of downsizing. Her slightly boring but reliable boyfriend of five years has dumped her because he didn’t think she shared his vision of their “ideal future” together. In addition to losing her job and boyfriend, she might be losing her mind, too.

A sane person wouldn’t follow a perfect stranger they meet on a plane to a tiny village no one has heard of on a Greek island, would they? The stranger in question is an irresistibly charming and handsome Englishman with a sympathetic ear. But that’s no excuse to follow him to the place he calls his home and practically move in with him, is it?

Having left everything she knows behind, Anna begins to discover she’s not the person she thought she was. Neither is her mother - a woman Anna barely knows - who shows up in Anna’s new home unexpectedly. Even more unexpected is the arrival of a mysterious relative Anna didn’t know she had. Who knew getting dumped and downsized and momentarily losing one’s sanity could have so many surprising side effects?

Sofia Essen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,311,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible