The Whispering House by Rebecca Wade

The Whispering House

by Rebecca Wade

203515,329 (3.5)None

I won this book in the Goodreads First Reads giveaway, it came yesterday and I was so excited to read it.

I liked the book, it was a good premise and the characters were mostly well rounded. I didn't care for the cover art too much. If I was just browsing the shelves at the library this would not be one of the books that I picked up based on how it looked. However the story line was solid. I honestly couldn't put it down once I started. I'll admit that parts of it did creep me out a bit, but it wasn't a horror story by any means.

The only thing I really didn't like about the book was chapter 29 "Connecting". I liked the idea of communication through a scrabble game instead of it being a ouija board, but the way Rebecca Wade detailed how the words were played on the board was a little confusing. She spells it out halfway through the chapter but reading that section was a bit hard in trying to figure out the layout of the board.

All in all I would definitely recommend this book to others, especially young adults who are interested in mysteries.
  PrescottKris | Jan 26, 2015 |
Relatively creepy ghost story and murder mystery. ( )
  LouisVillains | Apr 5, 2014 |
There is a bit of adventure, mystery and fantasy in this tale of Hannah's short stay in a haunted house. I just could not settle into where the story was set England or New England and some of the language seemed strained but generally a good story well told. ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |

Maisie Holt.

This is her book.

It's an old house, one her family plans to stay in for only a short while; but for Hannah Price, secrets soon come creeping out of every corner of Cowleigh Lodge.

First there's the old and dusty book of children's fairy tales that belonged to a young girl named Maisie. Hannah learns that the girl died mysteriously at age eleven in this very house nearly 140 years ago.

Then, when Hannah draws a portrait of Maisie, things begin to fall apart. The house seems to be reverting to its nineteenth-century form, and Hannah's not sure whether it or Maisie herself is sending her messages. Hannah must solve the mystery of Maisie's death, because if she doesn't help her, Maisie may never leave Hannah alone. . . .

Rebecca Wade has created a haunting story that will capture readers' imaginations until the very last page.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:19 -0400)

When the Price family moves into Cowleigh Lodge while their home is being repaired, fourteen-year-old Hannah discovers that the ghost of a girl who died there at age eleven wants help unraveling the mystery of her 1877 death.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,419,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible