My Familiar Stranger by Victoria Danann

My Familiar Stranger

by Victoria Danann

To say this book was as a surprise would be an understatement. It had a fun Love Triangle, Diamond, Trapezoid or whatever it's called when four people are involved. I'm generally not a fan of Love Triangles. I'm always confused when all the men are falling over themselves over a girl without any obvious reasons to me. What made this triangle fun was Elora herself. All the men in her life really cared for her and thought the world of her. Even I found myself in awe of Elora, I thought she was exciting, spunky, and just adorable. Also, these men had me swooning and just feeling hot and bothered.

Elora's men were very protective of her even though she could kick their asses into next week, I really like that she could take care of herself. Storm, her original savior and protector. He was a gentleman, a badass one, actually they all are, their little group was nick named Bad Company afterall. Then there is Rammel, funny, vulgar, but very sweet and gentle when it came to Elora. His flirting and Double Entendre's with Elora had me blushing. Baka........hmmmm........*sigh*, what can I say, he would be the most dangerous choice of all the guys but again when it came to Elora he was the sweetest and the swooniest. He was my guilty pleasure choice for Elora.

I have one unanswered question, "Is the real Ms. Victoria Danann a real vampire author locked away somewhere where writing captivating vampire romance?". For inquiring minds, you need to read the book to understand that question.

Oh and by the way, even though the plural of vampire is vampire, I kept wanting to say vampires even when the line is vampire.

My Familiar Stranger was fun, clever, and refreshing, with characters that come alive, make you laugh and root for them. An enjoyable read without the convoluted love triangle. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Oct 22, 2016 |
This book was much better than I thought it was going to be. A stranger in a strangish land... great concept and well written. The only issue I had was at the end... her 'secret' just came out of nowhere. I felt like there should have been more hints or something before that bomb was dropped. And when it was, it was just accepted as almost an after thought. Hell no! You drop a bomb like that on me, I'm going to have some serious questions.

But, all in all, it was a good read. ( )
  BethanyMoore | May 13, 2016 |
I have seen so many good reviews for this novel I've decided to give it a try. The blurb sounded promising, and as I've read on i liked it. A lot...

The first 50% of the book was really well detailed and i found myself immersed in a new life of a girl who found herself in a new world. She seemed nice and i was sympathetic to her difficulties.

But then....

As the story progressed i realized that she could do no wrong. She gets warned for her own safety NOT to do a certain thing. She does it anyway and offers an explanation as cool as you please. It's logical, so ok i could understand it...first time.....but then it happens the second and the third, and it becomes annoying after a while. She is too nice, too perfect, too pretty, too feminine. There isn't a thing that she isn't capable of doing and it is all flawless.

Second thing that annoyed me to no end was the fact that she killed a vampire with a toothpick!!! A GODAMN TOOTHPICK WITCH SHE THREW LIKE A STAKE!!!!
Now i followed the story and yes, i understand what the author wanted us to believe with the molecular density and whatnot, but seriously???? Even if she could throw a pick-up truck without batting an eyelash, there is no way she could toothpick a vamp to death.

Third and the most important....... She gets fed aphrodisiac in a bar, she gets hot and heavy and winds up shagging a guy all night long.... I say good for her, but not....why???

Well...

She was supposed to have had sex only one time in her life. A less then one minute cherry poppin' nookie. So she is inexperienced, but knows how sex feels like. So she goes for an all nighter with a well endowed sex god and she wakes up not remembering anything......and she can't connect the dots.....*sigh*
I dunno your definition of aphrodisiac but it sure as hell isn't spanish fly on steroids plus a date rape drug.

To sum it up..This was a fabulous book, if only the main female lead died at the beginning, it would have been a 5 star review. ( )
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
I actually really enjoyed this book, enjoyed the author's writing and style, and liked the characters. There are a number of characters in the book, and each is his/her own person with their own quirks and such, which was great fun to read. Personally, I had a thing for the vampire, because the way he was written brought to mind the character of Nikola Tesla (Sanctuary), who was a fabulous character.

I'd rather not give the reason why I gave the book only three stars because it is just my opinion/preference, it will certainly be different for another reader. (and no, it isn't the peanut butter...) One part of the book just COMPLETELY destroyed it for me, and left me just... just... Because really, apart from that, it was a very enjoyable read. ( )
  KVHardy | Jan 2, 2015 |
SUPER sexy new spin on vampires, elves and other paranormals. The sex was a little more explicit than the books I usually read but the writing and especially world building were excellent. The character development was incredible and I was up to the wee hours reading the book so it's safe to say that it holds one's attention quite well especially since it only took me 1 day to read. There was no cliffhanger!! and I am extremely excited to move onto the next in the series. ( )
  BethYacoub | Dec 31, 2014 |

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING YOU KNEW WAS SUDDENLY GONE?

In a matter of minutes Elora Laiken lost everything familiar. She escaped death by being forced into an experiment that left her in another world where modern day knights, elves, vampires, werewolves, witches, demons and fae became her allies, friends and family. She discovered a place where adventure intersects fairytales, where honor converges with ideals, and she learned that love can find you in the strangest places, when you're least expecting it, even when you're far, far from home.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,560,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible