The Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body…

The Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body (original 1989; edition 1990)

by Joanna Cole, Bruce Degen (Illustrator)

Title:The Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body
Authors:Joanna Cole
Other authors:Bruce Degen (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Press (1990), Paperback, 40 pages
Tags:Easy, Nonfiction, Ages 6 to 10

The Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body by Joanna Cole (1989)

This book is about a teacher named Ms. Frizzle who is taking her class on a trip in the "magic school bus" to a museum to see an exhibit on the human body. Her class has been learning about the human body and how it can turn food into energy. The students stopped for lunch, but one student named Arnold got left behind. While Arnold is busy looking for his classmates, Ms. Frizzle shrinks the magic school bus and the class takes a trip through Arnolds body. While on their journey the class learns about how different systems work throughout the human body.

Personal Reaction:
I have always thought that these were very fun and entertaining books. I can remember reading the Magic School Bus series when I was younger. Along with being entertaining for young children, these books are also very educational. This book is actually one of my daughters favorite books.

Classroom Extensions:
1. One fun activity would be to have the class draw out their own human bodies, and label the different parts.
2. Another activity is after reading the book to the class, have them watch the cartoon version of the Magic School Bus.
  Aburke73505 | Oct 27, 2015 |
I like this book for two reasons. The first thing I like is the writing. Joanna Cole takes a topic that many people find dry, boring, and complicated (the human body), and makes it fun to learn. In order to learn about organs like the stomach, the class shrinks down and takes a field trip inside of Arnold's sick body. The second thing I like is the illustrations. The pictures are fun and goofy, but they also show detailed anatomy of the human body. You can see the different fluids within different organs and you can see the white and red blood cells inside of the bloodstream. The main idea of this book is to teach children how the inside of their bodies work in a fun and silly way. ( )
  jwrigh28 | Sep 30, 2015 |
This book shows children how food can turn into energy it’s a good way to show children what is good and what is bad to eat. Children love and can relate to the teacher. It has good realistic pictures while the words flow great together.
  Samantha_Orawiec | Feb 15, 2015 |
This whole collection is a household favorite. Our 7 year-old son really enjoys the books & DVD's! Fun way of presenting a lot of scientific information for young kids. Miss Frizzle is always wearing a wild outfit to go along with their wild adventures in the magical school bus that can somehow transform into about anything. This ride was through the human body, Arnold's, to be a little more specific. Gotta look out for what might be eaten along with the bag of "Cheezy Weezies"! A fun book for a science and/or health class:) ( )
  shane54 | Feb 12, 2015 |
The book, “The Magic School Bus: Inside the Human Body”, was my favorite book in the entire series. I have read this book countless times! This book is very informational but I never found it to be overwhelming. I enjoyed reading this book for many reasons. I loved how the characters within the book have speech bubbles and thinking bubbles to show what the person is saying or thinking. An example of this is seen on a page with Ms. Frizzle and Arnold. Ms. Frizzle is saying to Arnold, “Your cells need energy to help you grow, move, talk, think, and play.” Arnold has a thinking bubble that states, “Just being in Ms. Frizzle’s class takes all my energy.” I found these text features to be very helpful. The next reason I enjoyed reading this book is because of the wonderful, detailed pictures. The illustrator creates detailed pictures by using a pen and watercolors. For example, on one page, the author describes what the hearts does and the illustrator creates what anatomically correct heart looks like. The illustrator uses arrows to help convey which way the blood is flowing and into which chamber the blood flows through. I found the arrows to be beneficial to the reader because the images make the text easier to understand. The main idea of this story is to inform readers of the many important responsibilities the body and organs have to support life. ( )
  vharsh1 | Dec 3, 2014 |

Joanna Coleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Degen, BruceIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Craig from Joanna and Bruce
It all began when Ms. Frizzle showed our class a filmstrip about the human body.

To celebrate its 20th anniversary, Scholastic is re-releasing the ten original Magic School Bus titles in paperback. With updated scientific information, the bestselling science series ever is back!

Arnold has swallowed the Magic School Bus! Now, instead of seeing an exhibit of the human body at a museum, the class is taking a look at Arnold's stomach, his intestines, his bloodstream, and more from the inside on this heart-stopping fieldtrip - one the reluctant Arnold would be happy to miss.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:13 -0400)

A special field trip on the magic school bus allows Ms. Frizzle's class to get a first-hand look at major parts of the body and how they work.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,878,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible