The Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body…

The Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body (original 1989; edition 1990)

by Joanna Cole, Bruce Degen (Illustrator)

Member:Jenergy82
Title:The Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body
Authors:Joanna Cole
Other authors:Bruce Degen (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Press (1990), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 40 pages
Collections:Miss McNeil's shelf
Tags:anatomy

The Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body by Joanna Cole (1989)

Recently added byniccory, isqecc, bbickham, vharsh1, ryanbatz, private library, SummitAcademy, brianastokes, ndp005, kdu001

The book, “The Magic School Bus: Inside the Human Body”, was my favorite book in the entire series. I have read this book countless times! This book is very informational but I never found it to be overwhelming. I enjoyed reading this book for many reasons. I loved how the characters within the book have speech bubbles and thinking bubbles to show what the person is saying or thinking. An example of this is seen on a page with Ms. Frizzle and Arnold. Ms. Frizzle is saying to Arnold, “Your cells need energy to help you grow, move, talk, think, and play.” Arnold has a thinking bubble that states, “Just being in Ms. Frizzle’s class takes all my energy.” I found these text features to be very helpful. The next reason I enjoyed reading this book is because of the wonderful, detailed pictures. The illustrator creates detailed pictures by using a pen and watercolors. For example, on one page, the author describes what the hearts does and the illustrator creates what anatomically correct heart looks like. The illustrator uses arrows to help convey which way the blood is flowing and into which chamber the blood flows through. I found the arrows to be beneficial to the reader because the images make the text easier to understand. The main idea of this story is to inform readers of the many important responsibilities the body and organs have to support life. ( )
  vharsh1 | Dec 3, 2014 |
  astinchavez | Nov 7, 2014 |
This book is about how Mrs. Frizzel takes her class on an interesting field trip. She took them through the human body on a school bus! The kids were not sure whAT TO THINK AT FIRST, BUT ENDED UP HAVING A WILD AND FUN TIMKE. IN THE END THE KIDS MADE A MODEL OF WHAT THE HUMAN BODY LOOKS LIKE AND HOW IT WORKS.

Personal Reaction:

I love these books because they are so fun and adventurous. I think they are a great educational read for kids because it easily keeps their attention.

Extensions:
1. I could use this book with my class when learning about the body.
2. I could have them draw them draw something out of the book they thought was interesting and have them tell what they learned to the class.
  kristendickerson | Apr 7, 2014 |
Most young readers do not know how their body works on the inside. By reading this book they can get an easy and visual idea of how their digestive system works. The reading can be a bit more advanced for readers but allows some ease and some challenge. This is a fun imaginative book that can make any reader put a smile on their face. Following Ms. Frizzle and her class as they go on crazy adventures readers can learn so much about science. This book can spark interest in science for those who might not really be a fan of science. This book makes learning fun and enjoyable.
  APursel16 | Jan 22, 2014 |
Summary: This book is about Ms. Frizzle taking her class to a museum about the body. Along the way they stopped to eat. When they got back on the buss, it shrinks and goes inside one of the students who was left behind. They take a journey through his body to find their way out. They finally leave through his nose.

Personal Reflection: I really love the Magic School Bus series. I read the books growing up and I really enjoy them all. The idea for this book was very creative.

Classroom Extension:
1. This would be good to read allowed to a young class when explaining blood cells or other key parts of the body.
2. We could outline the children on big pieces of paper and have them draw where the body parts are located that were talked about in this book.

***Informational***
  TaylorSchettler | Nov 19, 2013 |

Joanna Coleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Degen, BruceIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Craig from Joanna and Bruce
It all began when Ms. Frizzle showed our class a filmstrip about the human body.

To celebrate its 20th anniversary, Scholastic is re-releasing the ten original Magic School Bus titles in paperback. With updated scientific information, the bestselling science series ever is back!

Arnold has swallowed the Magic School Bus! Now, instead of seeing an exhibit of the human body at a museum, the class is taking a look at Arnold's stomach, his intestines, his bloodstream, and more from the inside on this heart-stopping fieldtrip - one the reluctant Arnold would be happy to miss.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:56 -0400)

A special field trip on the magic school bus allows Ms. Frizzle's class to get a first-hand look at major parts of the body and how they work.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,359,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible