Better Than Chocolate (Life in Icicle Falls)…

Better Than Chocolate (Life in Icicle Falls) (edition 2012)

by Sheila Roberts

Member:Tammy.Ford.Cuevas
Title:Better Than Chocolate (Life in Icicle Falls)
Authors:Sheila Roberts
Info:Harlequin MIRA (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:***

Better Than Chocolate by Sheila Roberts

With a name like Better Than Chocolate I really expected more romance. There is very little romance in this book at all. It is more like how to rescue a chocolate factory. Still a good read just not if you are looking for a romance. ( )
  TexasBookLover7 | Jun 16, 2015 |
I received this book as a part of the Tell Harlequin panel. I have received other books as a part of that program that I have absolutely adored, so I was incredibly hopeful for this one. Couple that with the fact that I had other friends with similar book tastes to me tell me they had heard amazing things about this author, and I thought for sure this was going to be another hit that would melt my cynical heart. Unfortunately, I just don't feel that it lived up to the hype.

I have sat here reading other reviews and wondering if I was reading the same book, because there were a lot of people according to Amazon and Goodreads that really enjoyed this one. I just was not one of them.

Firstly, there was a lot of filler in the story - bits and pieces that had no bearing on the outcome and were just there to fill up space. I really dislike filler. A good author can paint a picture without so much extra detail that is unrelated to the main plot. I get sub plots and all, but this was not even subplot, it was just, extra.

There were some editing errors that should have been obvious and corrected before this went to print, and yet they weren't and that is always a big sticking point for me.

And then, this was a romance, right? Because the romantic relationship coming to be happened in the last 15 pages or so and felt rushed and like it was there just because people would expect it to be. I mean, seriously, a check, a kiss, a hike, an engagement? Where are the details about the relationship developing and building. I felt like a couple chapters were missing from my book, but the page numbers matched up so I know that was not the case.

I am sure Ms. Roberts is a gifted writer, at least in the minds of some readers, but after reading this one, I don't think that I will be able to read another book by this author. It took me more than a month to finish this one, and I read books of this length usually in a much shorter period of time. I felt I had to make myself keep reading. The premise was great, and this could have been an awesome book. I just felt like there was too much gritty detail, and not enough meat. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
This is a sweet story about three sisters who inherit the family owned chocolate factory, Sweet Dreams Chocolates, from their grandmother. Through an unfortunate circumstance, Sweet Dreams Chocolates is in the red with the bank.

With the help of the residents of Icicle Falls, the three sisters prepare a Valentine's Day treat to raise money.

Icicle Falls, Washington's first ever chocolate festival. Will it be enough to bring them the money they need to keep Sweet Dreams afloat or will Sweet Dreams become bittersweet?

This was my first reading of Sheila Roberts. I put her as one of my favorite authors because of this book. I love books about small towns and the people who live in them.

This book has whimsical moments and romantic ones. I will definitely be reading more of Sheila Roberts and the people in Icicle Falls. ( )
  Bookworm247 | Aug 20, 2013 |
Better Than Chocolate by Sheila Roberts
ISBN: 9780778313458
Each chapter starts out with wise words from the published relationship books of Muriel Sterling
Samantha Sterling new dead father ran the chocolate business into the ground. Now that he's gone she has to figure out a way to make it a thriving business so the family can live off of the proceeds.
Her sisters will return to their west coast matchmaking services after the funeral and she'll have to sort out what's left of the business.
Blake Preston, the former football hero of Icicle Falls High is now the new bank manager and she had to go meet him and try to get an extension on their loan.
He feels bad but the bank business can't meet its deadlines if the loans don't pay every month.
The family story goes back to the original owners and how it is what it is today through hard work.
Love how the women all use Skype to figure out how to save the company once they learn Waldo let his life insurance payments cease.
They brainstorm and think a chocolate festival with all the businesses in town on board will help their financial problems. Cecily will end her matchmaking business and come back to WA from LA.
Muriel grieves and has dreams of chocolate, I want what pills she's on, whew!
Mr. Dreamy contest would be worth the admission of the ticket. There are some problems with permits and Cecily is more interested in the hunk that runs the Man Cave hangout then the festival.
Other townsfolk join in to help as it will aid their businesses as well.
Support group for the grieving one is found to be a good idea.
Bad business goings on at the bank, behind Blake's back and he has nothing to do with it. If Samantha finds out he might as well leave town.
Anything that could go wrong is going wrong, enough to make her want to throw the towel in. She can't compete with nature disasters.
This is a town that cares about those who live in it and their festivals show the love. Even though there are only 3 sisters and their mother a lot of others came out in this book and it's easy to keep them straight, as to who is who. really enjoyed this book!
Comes with recipes and the first chapter of the next in this series, woohoo, didn't see that coming! ( )
  jbarr5 | Jul 26, 2013 |
For Lilly-Anne, Pat
and the gang at A Book for All Seasons
in Leavenworth, Washington
Samantha Sterling sat next to her mother in the first pew of Icicle Falls Community Church and fought back the urge to jump up, run to the front of the sanctuary, grab her stepfather, Waldo, by the neck and throttle him.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 077831345X, Mass Market Paperback)

Sweet Dreams Chocolate Company has been in the Sterling family for generations, ever since Great-Grandma Rose literally dreamed up her first fabulous recipe. But now it looks as if they're about to lose Sweet Dreams to the bank—and that would be a disaster, not only for the family but for the town of Icicle Falls, Washington. Can Samantha, the oldest daughter and new head of the company, come up with a way to save it?

After Samantha does some brainstorming with her mother and sisters, inspiration strikes. They'll have a chocolate festival! Time's running out, but the Sterling women are determined and the town's behind them, so everything's bound to go smoothly….

Or not. Events seem to be conspiring against Samantha, and her mother's attempts to help aren't helping. To make matters worse, the fate of her company is in the hands of her archenemy, Blake Preston, the bank manager with the football-hero good looks. It's enough to drive her to chocolate. But Blake's also enough to convince her that (believe it or not) there's something even better than chocolate.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:08 -0400)

"Sweet Dreams Chocolate Company has been in the Sterling family for generations, ever since Great-Grandma Rose literally dreamed up her first fabulous recipe. But now it looks as if they're about to lose Sweet Dreams to the bank-and that would be a disaster, not only for the family but for the town of Icicle Falls, Washington. Can Samantha, the oldest daughter and new head of the company, come up with a way to save it?After Samantha does some brainstorming with her mother and sisters, inspiration strikes. They'll have a chocolate festival! Time's running out, but the Sterling women are determined and the town's behind them, so everything's bound to go smoothly. Or not. Events seem to be conspiring against Samantha, and her mother's attempts to help aren't helping. To make matters worse, the fate of her company is in the hands of her archenemy, Blake Preston, the bank manager with the football-hero good looks. It's enough to drive her to chocolate. But Blake's also enough to convince her that (believe it or not) there's something even better than chocolate" -- Cover verso.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,916,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible