Better Than Chocolate (Life in Icicle Falls)…

Better Than Chocolate (Life in Icicle Falls) (edition 2012)

by Sheila Roberts

Member:Tammy.Ford.Cuevas
Title:Better Than Chocolate (Life in Icicle Falls)
Authors:Sheila Roberts
Info:Harlequin MIRA (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:***

Better Than Chocolate by Sheila Roberts

This is a sweet story about three sisters who inherit the family owned chocolate factory, Sweet Dreams Chocolates, from their grandmother. Through an unfortunate circumstance, Sweet Dreams Chocolates is in the red with the bank.

With the help of the residents of Icicle Falls, the three sisters prepare a Valentine's Day treat to raise money.

Icicle Falls, Washington's first ever chocolate festival. Will it be enough to bring them the money they need to keep Sweet Dreams afloat or will Sweet Dreams become bittersweet?

This was my first reading of Sheila Roberts. I put her as one of my favorite authors because of this book. I love books about small towns and the people who live in them.

This book has whimsical moments and romantic ones. I will definitely be reading more of Sheila Roberts and the people in Icicle Falls. ( )
  Bookworm247 | Aug 20, 2013 |
Better Than Chocolate by Sheila Roberts
ISBN: 9780778313458
Each chapter starts out with wise words from the published relationship books of Muriel Sterling
Samantha Sterling new dead father ran the chocolate business into the ground. Now that he's gone she has to figure out a way to make it a thriving business so the family can live off of the proceeds.
Her sisters will return to their west coast matchmaking services after the funeral and she'll have to sort out what's left of the business.
Blake Preston, the former football hero of Icicle Falls High is now the new bank manager and she had to go meet him and try to get an extension on their loan.
He feels bad but the bank business can't meet its deadlines if the loans don't pay every month.
The family story goes back to the original owners and how it is what it is today through hard work.
Love how the women all use Skype to figure out how to save the company once they learn Waldo let his life insurance payments cease.
They brainstorm and think a chocolate festival with all the businesses in town on board will help their financial problems. Cecily will end her matchmaking business and come back to WA from LA.
Muriel grieves and has dreams of chocolate, I want what pills she's on, whew!
Mr. Dreamy contest would be worth the admission of the ticket. There are some problems with permits and Cecily is more interested in the hunk that runs the Man Cave hangout then the festival.
Other townsfolk join in to help as it will aid their businesses as well.
Support group for the grieving one is found to be a good idea.
Bad business goings on at the bank, behind Blake's back and he has nothing to do with it. If Samantha finds out he might as well leave town.
Anything that could go wrong is going wrong, enough to make her want to throw the towel in. She can't compete with nature disasters.
This is a town that cares about those who live in it and their festivals show the love. Even though there are only 3 sisters and their mother a lot of others came out in this book and it's easy to keep them straight, as to who is who. really enjoyed this book!
Comes with recipes and the first chapter of the next in this series, woohoo, didn't see that coming! ( )
  jbarr5 | Jul 26, 2013 |
Slow to start but it ended well. ( )
  krystalsbooks | Jun 29, 2013 |
I had high hopes for Better Than Chocolate: chocolate and romance, what more could anyone ask for? In the end, though, it was just okay. Samantha's resentment of Blake, the new bank manager (and her former high school crush)who holds her chocolate company's fate--and its soon-to-be-defaulted-upon loan--in his hands, seems to be a bit over the top. The situation her business finds itself in isn't really her fault--her recently deceased stepfather nearly ran it into the ground--but it's not Blake's fault either. He is unfailingly nice to her, and she definitely doesn't return the favor. As a result, their conflict has a forced feel to it, which kept me from enjoying the story as much as I would have liked to. After all her antagonism, their conflict (like a few others in the book) was resolved rather quickly, which again, detracted from my ability to lose myself in the story.

There were plenty of things I liked about the book, though. Samantha and her sisters' plan for saving the company--and helping out Icicle Falls' economy at the same time--was a good one. They all worked together and pulled it off quickly, and it was fun to read about. The secondary characters, too, were enjoyable, especially sisters Cecily and Bailey and their mom Muriel. I enjoyed the town of Icicle Falls, and am planning to visit again in Roberts' next book, Merry Ex-Mas. Though this story just wasn't quite "it" for me, I did find many things to enjoy in her writing. ( )
  beckymmoe | Apr 3, 2013 |
Samantha Sterling's stepfather ran the family business into the ground before his untimely passing. Now it's up to her to save Sweet Dreams Chocolate Company from foreclosure. It doesn't help matters that the new bank manager is good -looking enough to almost make a girl forget chocolate.

Better Than Chocolate is basically your typical romance novel. What set it apart, for me anyway, were the chocolate and winter themes. The character of Samantha at times came off as a bit sulky and difficult, but her mother was a sympathetic character, and the depiction of her as a grieving widow was honest and true-to-life. This time of year, I always love the winter and/or Christmas themed romances and anything with chocolate has to be good!

3.5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the Pump Up Your Book book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  Tammy.Ford.Cuevas | Nov 6, 2012 |
For Lilly-Anne, Pat
and the gang at A Book for All Seasons
in Leavenworth, Washington
Samantha Sterling sat next to her mother in the first pew of Icicle Falls Community Church and fought back the urge to jump up, run to the front of the sanctuary, grab her stepfather, Waldo, by the neck and throttle him.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 077831345X, Mass Market Paperback)

Sweet Dreams Chocolate Company has been in the Sterling family for generations, ever since Great-Grandma Rose literally dreamed up her first fabulous recipe. But now it looks as if they're about to lose Sweet Dreams to the bank—and that would be a disaster, not only for the family but for the town of Icicle Falls, Washington. Can Samantha, the oldest daughter and new head of the company, come up with a way to save it?

After Samantha does some brainstorming with her mother and sisters, inspiration strikes. They'll have a chocolate festival! Time's running out, but the Sterling women are determined and the town's behind them, so everything's bound to go smoothly….

Or not. Events seem to be conspiring against Samantha, and her mother's attempts to help aren't helping. To make matters worse, the fate of her company is in the hands of her archenemy, Blake Preston, the bank manager with the football-hero good looks. It's enough to drive her to chocolate. But Blake's also enough to convince her that (believe it or not) there's something even better than chocolate.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:49 -0400)

"Sweet Dreams Chocolate Company has been in the Sterling family for generations, ever since Great-Grandma Rose literally dreamed up her first fabulous recipe. But now it looks as if they're about to lose Sweet Dreams to the bank-and that would be a disaster, not only for the family but for the town of Icicle Falls, Washington. Can Samantha, the oldest daughter and new head of the company, come up with a way to save it?After Samantha does some brainstorming with her mother and sisters, inspiration strikes. They'll have a chocolate festival! Time's running out, but the Sterling women are determined and the town's behind them, so everything's bound to go smoothly. Or not. Events seem to be conspiring against Samantha, and her mother's attempts to help aren't helping. To make matters worse, the fate of her company is in the hands of her archenemy, Blake Preston, the bank manager with the football-hero good looks. It's enough to drive her to chocolate. But Blake's also enough to convince her that (believe it or not) there's something even better than chocolate" -- Cover verso.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,382,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible