Plan B by Sharon Lee
Member:reading_fox
Title:Plan B
Authors:Sharon Lee
Other authors:Steve Miller (Author)
Info:Decatur, Ga. : Meisha Merlin Pub. Co., c1998. Baen EPub
Collections:Recommendations ONLY, Ebooks, Your library, Science fiction
Rating:***1/2
Tags:!lee, /mir04, ebook, science fiction, mil sf, mental magic, technology, family, honour, @2012, use

Plan B by Sharon Lee

The bonds between life-mates are becoming a bit to much for me. ( )
1 vote Aelianna | Jun 5, 2013 |
This is (depending on how you set the chronology) either the 3rd, 4th, or 10th book in the series. Much more action based than the other books.

Good, but one of the reasons I like this series is the odd twists and turns of the various cultures - Liaden especially - and that's mostly missing from this book.

I was startled by how small Clan Korval is, however, when this book named all 14? members. Somehow, I'd always imagined it to have around 10-15 key members and 50-60 lesser relations. Clans are generally big, after all. 14 just seems so small, especially for as wealthy and influential as the clan is. ( )
  Melanti | Mar 30, 2013 |
Continuing the series, sort of fourth in published order (I think there are technically soem prequesl inbetween, but this is how Baen are putting them out, and it seems to make sense). It was the first of the abook s the authors wrote for the fans rather than under a bigname publishing contract - according to the blurb in the back pages anyway. You can't particularly tell.

It's still all fairly incincsequential stuff though, fun SF fluff verging towards milSF on this occasion. ValCon and Miri have fled to a world where her ancestral Liaden Caln resides, so that she can be re-united with them and her 'lifemating' with ValCon approved of. His family are all a scattered in space fearing vengence from Internal Affairs. It isn't particualrly apparent why the Yxtrang shoudl decide to attack this world, but they do. Fortunetly there are still mercenaries around from the IA influenced uprising. Miri and ValCon take control, including capturing a very rare Yxtrang prisoner. Measnwhile the rest of the family deduce their way to the same world and arrive in dribs and drabs. the grand family reunion doesn't take place in this book however, which was a lot of wrapping up details I'd liked to have seen, and may dull the beginning of the next one.

There's plenty more MarySue telepathy abilities, bnew skills invented and granted whenever need seems to arrise without explanation. The switch from pilot to soldier was particularly bad. I really wish there was a coherant explanation for these, and some form of consistency in their use between characters. Most of the time it just seems unlikely in the otherwsie technological advanced SF stuff. The various family honour dialogues play out as expected with humour cast here and there as appropriate.

These are fun, but very fast lightweight reads without the socio-political commentry that truly marks a deep SF novel. ( )
  reading_fox | Jul 13, 2012 |
Con Val and Miri Robertson may have defeated the Agent of Change, but their escape route seems to be a case of out of the frying pan, into the fire. Plan B, Clan Korval's fallback in case of emergency. If you've wondered about Miri's connection to Clan Erob, the newly battle ready Dutiful Passage, and the lost Delm of Korval, Plan B may answer some questions. If you haven't a clue what I'm talking about, you might want jump into the Liaden Universe somewhere earlier - life as the Liaden's know it is changing fast, and newcomers will find it more than a bit confusing! ( )
  SunnySD | May 2, 2011 |
(Alistair) And back I go once more for more Liaden universe awesomeness.

Let me say, first and foremost, that despite it having meant that I missed out on some damn fine books back in the 80s, that I am distinctly glad not to have ended up enduring the 10 year publishing gap between the end of the previous book, Carpe Diem (read as part of Partners in Necessity, and booklogged here), especially since Carpe Diem ends thoroughly in medias res and indeed in medias crisis in the ongoing conflict between Clan Korval and the Department of the Interior.

About which I shall say no more, thus rendering this booklog post rather less than this book deserves, but since I recommend this series superlatively, I would hate to spoil the plot for any readers who might have agreed with me on that point and rushed out to buy it last time around...

Suffice it to say that said plotting continues to entirely delight, and my inner worldbuilding maven was exceptionally pleased to get a good look at the internal culture of the Yxtrang, the third human culture of the Liaden universe, this time around - as well as more details revealed of those we have already met.

( http://weblog.siliconcerebrate.com/cerebrate/2009/10/plan_b_sharon_lee_steve_mil... ) ( )
1 vote libraryofus | Jan 14, 2010 |

Lee, Sharonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miller, Stevemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Caploe, AndyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Herring, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Here we stand: An old woman, a halfling boy, two babes; a contract, a ship, and a Tree.

Clan Korval.

How Jela would laugh.

- excerpted from Cantra yos'Phelium's Log Book
For the Friends of Liad:

lisamia keshoc.

We are in your debt.
There was time, but neither night nor day.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441010539, Mass Market Paperback)

How can a series with terrific character development, witty dialogue, and high adventure fail? Lee, Miller, and dedicated fans refused to believe it could, and after 10 years, the Liaden Universe has returned from book limbo! If you can find them, look for other books in the series: Partners in Necessity, an omnibus of the first three novels, another omnibus containing two prequels, and the fifth book, I Dare. But feel free to start here: Plan B stands alone, though previous books provide rich back-story.

Meet Val Con yos'Phelium of Clan Korval. Val Con was once an "agent of change": recruited by Liad's Department of Interior (DOI) and redesigned--his memories blocked, his emotions suppressed--into a precision killing device. Val Con's sanity was saved by his lifemate, Miri Robertson. She's a half-Terran former mercenary sergeant even shorter than Val Con, and almost as deadly in combat. Miri also has Liaden dramliza (wizard) blood from her mother's family, Clan Erob. In Liaden society, one's melant'i (roughly: reputation, or face) is preserved by appropriate speech and behavior, including honor duels when a Balance is owed. Miri is nervous but Val Con says: "'Together, cha'trez, we are--' he bent his head, put his mouth next to her ear and breathed '--hell on wheels.'"

DOI has plotted to destroy Korval; Korval now invokes Plan B: retreat strategically, trust no one, prepare for all-out war. Val Con and Miri are trapped by an invasion force of the militaristic Yxtrang as they await Val Con's foster siblings, who are arming the clan. And of course their adopted Clutch brothers, Edger and Sheather, who resemble giant turtles, are also on their way. Somewhat more slowly. Can everybody stay alive long enough to reunite?

If you love Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan books, visit Liad. This is space opera at its best. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:23 -0400)

Sharon Lee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,821,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible