One Good Deed: 365 Days of Trying to Be Just…

One Good Deed: 365 Days of Trying to Be Just a Little Bit Better (edition 2012)

by Erin McHugh

Member:MartyAllen
Title:One Good Deed: 365 Days of Trying to Be Just a Little Bit Better
Authors:Erin McHugh
Info:Abrams Image (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:***
Tags:self-help nonfiction memoir kindness

One Good Deed: 365 Days of Trying to Be Just a Little Bit Better by Erin McHugh

Some of the good deeds are clever, some questionable. All, though, are doable, and anecdotes show that even the smallest good deed can make a difference. The idea may inspire readers, but they may not make it through the entire book as there is a good deal of repetition. ( )
  MartyAllen | Jan 12, 2013 |
The devastation of Hurricane Sandy makes One Good Deed a most timely book. I live in NYC, and for the last week have seen not only the worst that Mother Nature can do, but also the best that human nature can be; and being a better human being is what this book is all about.

Erin McHugh chronicles her 365 day journey to be "a little kinder, a little more helpful, a little more thoughtful" by doing one good deed a day. The deeds don't have to be big, they can be as simple as bringing a friend flowers to cheer her up, buying a co-worker a soda, or purchasing the ugliest cupcake at the church holiday fair. McHugh relates a story about one good deed multiplying: she purchased several boxes of Girl Scout cookies from a persistent young lady, and then donated a few boxes back to the Girl Scouts who arranged for them to be donated to a feeding program. She received a note from the troop leader describing a homeless veteran who was so happy to receive Girl Scout cookies because it reminded him of being a kid again, and he said that "it was the first time in a long time I felt like a person again." It brought tears to my eyes.

McHugh writes with such humanity about her journey, but this book is never preachy. I found it funny, moving, inspiring and thought-provoking. Her tone is conversational, and you feel like you are reading a friend's journal. And as someone who worked in retail for many years, I related to one of her good deeds, when she didn't lose her cool with a rude customer. Been there, done that, and I applauded her self-control.

As I watch people dropping their own lives and volunteering to help feed and clothe hurricane victims and clean up the mess left behind by Hurricane Sandy, I can't help but feel that One Good Deed came around at the perfect time. After reading this, you feel that doing something small and simple can help someone else have a better day, and with many people gathering together to do good deeds together, we can make a huge difference.

One Good Deed is a book that I will be giving many people this year for Christmas because it inspired me to look at the people around me a little more closely with a little more care, and I think it will inspire others to do the same. Wouldn't it be great if all the people who read Fifty Shades of Grey read One Good Deed next? Just think how we could change the world. ( )
  bookchickdi | Nov 5, 2012 |

Erin McHugh had spent the better part of her adult life doing community work, but in more recent years, the minutiae of life and working as a bookseller kept her busy and away from those higher impulses. Then one day she learned a distant relative was actually going to be canonized. Was this a sign? What followed next was McHugh's sincere urge to recapture a sense of charity, and so she set out on her birthday to do one good deed every day for an entire year. Maybe she wouldn't be saving orphans from burning buildings, but she wanted to take one small, daily detour and make someone else's life just a little bit better. "One Good Deed" is the inspiring, smart, and frequently funny chronicle of that year, in which each page represents a day in McHugh's journey to reclaim the better part of herself, inspiring readers to do the same.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,672,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible