Dualed by Elsie Chapman

Authors:Elsie Chapman
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (2013), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:**

Dualed by Elsie Chapman

Warrior by Marie Brennan (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Very similar concepts, but one book is a YA dystopia and one is high fantasy.

Dualed had so much potential to be great. A world where everyone has an Alternate twin and only one can survive? How could that not be the makings of a great story?! I mean seriously am I the only one who randomly wonders if I have a twin when people swear they saw me somewhere I definitely wasn't? What if we all actually did have twins and there was only room for one?

My biggest questions going into this read were, why does everyone have an alternate twin? How did this happen? Why can only one survive? My biggest issue was the fact that these questions were answered very vaguely. Now, I'm not a reader who loves excessive world building but I needed way more than was provided and I'm not reading a second book about a world that seems to have been haphazardly thrown together.

On top of this vague world building I had some major issues with the plot and the characters. West is a character that I never quite understood. I very rarely understood her thought process or her motivations and consistently found myself confused and frustrated by her. Since her actions and thoughts are really what drives the plot forward it made it difficult for me to become too engrossed in the action. I think the biggest issue is that she was never really developed as a character and as such felt very flat. Then on top of that she starts the novel with all this big talk and had nowhere to grow as a character so instead she regressed as the novel progressed.

Then there is the random love story tucked in at the end. There really wasn't any history provided between West and Chord that made me think that they would have any sort of relationship besides friendship. I just didn't see a romantic love there yet all of a sudden at the end of the novel they are in love? Personally, I think they just have a hard time coping and like having someone else to rely on and to be needed by.

I'm not planning on reading the next book, but would really appreciate someone trying this concept out again. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
3.5 stars

Here, people are born with a doppleganger, a twin or Alternate (aka: “alt”) who they will grow up and have to fight to the death, sometime between the ages of 10 and 20. The winner, then, proves that they are the stronger, smarter person to survive and deserves to live to help defend the city. West has already lost two siblings and both parents.

******POSSIBLE SPOILERS (though this pretty much all happens near the start of the book)******
When her older brother, Luke, goes to help his best friend, Cord, fight Cord’s alt, Luke loses his life. West hasn’t had to fight her alt yet, but she is so angry that she decides to become a striker – an assassin for hire to kill other people’s alts before they have to themselves.
******END SPOILERS******

Then, her “assignment” comes up and she has to fight for her own life.

I like the idea of this story and it was good, but I felt like the striker angle took away from the rest of the story for me. I feel like it was more to add “filler” to the story. Just my opinion. Maybe strikers come more into play in later books in the series, but it just didn’t interest me as much as the main storyline. Although, overall, it was good, I’m not sure it’s enough for me to continue the series. ( )
  LibraryCin | Nov 28, 2016 |
I am insulted that this book made it to print. It is so awful, so illogical, so meaningless, and so trite that I actually got angry reading it.

Basically, this city split apart from the rest of the world and is at war with it. Now, we see exactly one sign that this supposedly war-obsessed city is at war--a flame in the distance in the first chapter, and no one seems to be actually fighting this war, but I'm sure later books in this series (a whole goddamned series for this pile of muck!) will lampshade this by saying the war never existed in the first place or the rest of the world is already dead or something ~dark~ and ~unexpected~. To ensure that their citizens were all warriors, the Board came up with a plan: every person has a genetic match, born at the same time to different parents. At some point between age 10 and 20, these matched pairs (called Alts) will be given each other's names and home addresses and told to kill each other. The survivor is called a "complete" and is allowed greater privileges. If they don't kill each other within 31 days, they both die. It's an absurd way to run a society, and there is basically no way anyone would ever come up with it, let alone get an entire society to implement it for generations. But whatever, let's pretend this is plausible. The basic premise isn't even the worst part: that's the main character, who is so illogical, so stupid, and so utterly random in her motivations that she breaks all suspension of disbelief. There's also a romance shoe-horned in to the plot (which consists entirely of West killing random strangers and then freaking out when her Alt tries to kill her, over and over), but who cares. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Hmm. Not sure what I think. The explanation for the world/situation was clear, but it didn't seem that the MC grew or changed her view of the world. She just went with it and did what she needed to do and that was it. I didn't really like her as a person because of that. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
"They're Alts. Enemies from birth. And now one's dead, which means the survivor has completed his assignment. He takes off down the road, leaving behind his childhood, a past life so easily shed as a prisoner's jumpsuit."

In this YA dystopian thriller, the world has has fallen into war, but a small section of the northwest US, Kersh, has managed to block itself off from the warring Surround. However, since Kersh is always looming under the threat of war, The Board decides to make sure their citizens are the strongest and best fighters available. Although, they way that they do this seems just plain ridiculous. When two sets of parents are ready to have children, all four sets of DNA are combined and both mothers are implanted with identical eggs, twins or Alts, born to separate families. When the children are anywhere between 10 and 20 they are 'activated,' meaning that one Alt must kill the other or they both die. This is supposed to leave Kersh with the strongest fighters. Even though once you have killed your Alt there is nothing stopping you from becoming fat and lazy and unskilled. There are also hired assassins, strikers, that can kill your Alt for you, and, not to mention all of the other ways in the world a person could die are still out there, too. It is not covered in the book what happens if your Alt dies before you are activated, which seems to happen a lot when one Alt is trying to kill the other.

Anyway, 15 year old West is quite traumatized by all the death around her. Her siblings were all killed by their activated by their Alts, and now her father has just passed shortly after the death of her mother. Then her best friend, Chord, becomes activated and West makes sure he is the one to kill his Alt. After witnessing this, West still feels unprepared for when her own day of activation will come. Taking the advice of her weapons teacher at school, West decides to become a striker. A hired assassin, outside the law, who is paid to kill other people's Alts.

While the plot sounded really interesting to me, the world set-up and the rules just did not work for me. The rule that the world set up and for the reasons the rules were set up were clearly not working. Kersh wanted the strongest people for it's army, however, it may just get the richest, the sneakiest or the luckiest. It also did not seem like Kersh was ever actively in a war. It seemed like there would have been much simpler ways to go about training good soldiers, but that's me. West's character was slightly annoying, she wanted to be the Alt that did everything right; but she stalled out and seem to make a lot of mistakes. West and Chord's relationship was a mess. I'm not sure I've ever seen a 15 year old girl push away a guy so many times, even though she thought she was protecting him. Here is what I hope will be happening in the next book, since there is potential here: The world of Kersh is obviously flawed, hopefully West and Chord will begin to see that and push back against authority. West obviously has a rule breaking streak in her and is a good fighter, she might be able to go up against The Board. Let's see what Divided will bring. ( )
  Mishker | May 19, 2014 |

Two of you exist.
Only one will survive.

The city of Kersh is a safe haven, but the price of safety is high. Everyone has a genetic Alternate—a twin raised by another family—and citizens must prove their worth by eliminating their Alts before their twentieth birthday. Survival means advanced schooling, a good job, marriage—life.

Fifteen-year-old West Grayer has trained as a fighter, preparing for the day when her assignment arrives and she will have one month to hunt down and kill her Alt. But then a tragic misstep shakes West’s confidence. Stricken with grief and guilt, she’s no longer certain that she’s the best version of herself, the version worthy of a future. If she is to have any chance of winning, she must stop running not only from her Alt, but also from love . . . though both have the power to destroy her.

Elsie Chapman's suspenseful YA debut weaves unexpected romance into a novel full of fast-paced action and thought-provoking philosophy. When the story ends, discussions will begin about this future society where every adult is a murderer and every child knows there is another out there who just might be better.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:27 -0400)

"West Grayer lives in a world where every person has a twin, or Alt. Only one can survive to adulthood, and West has just received her notice to kill her Alt"--Provided by publisher.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,119,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible