Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Peculiar by Stefan Bachmann

The Peculiar (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Stefan Bachmann

Member:oct12
Title:The Peculiar
Authors:Stefan Bachmann
Info:Greenwillow Books (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages

The Peculiar by Stefan Bachmann (2012)

English (24)  German (2)  All languages (26)
I wasn't sure if I would enjoy this book but I was in the mood for something different. This book was good. I am anxious to see what happens in the 2nd book. ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
The international bestseller and debut novel by teenage author and classical musician Stefan Bachmann is part murder mystery, part gothic fantasy, part clockwork adventure. Best-selling author Rick Riordan said of The Peculiar, "Stefan Bachmann breathes fresh life into ancient magic."

The above is the summary provided by Goodreads.
  Clippers | Dec 21, 2017 |
I liked this book much more than I thought I would. It was fun, and while it had a few similarities with Harry Potter, it was able to stand alone with an original story. What impressed me the most was the fact that this written by a 16 year old young man, who is also a very talented musician. If you get a chance check out the book's website and listen to the music he has composed to go along with the book. Very beautiful!

Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
I picked up this book based upon the cover. When I started reading it I was hooked right away! Steampunk, magic, goblins, faeries & suspense! I couldn't wait to get to the end to see what happened. The book was also full of action & good characters. The setting takes place in London during a time when humans & faeries must live together but neither is happy about it. Just a really good story. Can't wait for book 2. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
Maybe I wasn't in the mood for steampunk fantasy, but this book was very unsatisfying for me. I found myself skimming quite a bit, and if it were not a mere 265 pages, I would have put this one down. In my opinion, the characters were not properly set up. This seemed to be the second book in a series, making me feel like I had started the book in the middle. I had no sympathy for the protagonist and no disdain for the antagonist.

I would have liked more of a day-to-day life description of the characters before they were thrust into action. While the preface was nice in that it described the faery world coming to England, I didn't get a good feel for the reason, the changes, or the new life with these creatures. What was so wrong with changelings? Was the author trying to make a commentary on a section of humanity in their story?

In the end, I was glad it was over, was completely unsatisfied in the finish, will not read more and cannot recommend. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |

Stefan Bachmannprimary authorall editionscalculated
Altschuler, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mom and my sister,
who read it first
Feathers fell from the sky.

After humans win the faery wars in England, a half-human, half-faery child, scorned by both races, finds himself at the center of a web of intrigue and danger when he is stalked by a sinister faery.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,475,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible