The Peculiar by Stefan Bachmann

The Peculiar (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Stefan Bachmann

Member:swanack
Title:The Peculiar
Authors:Stefan Bachmann
Info:Greenwillow Books (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:***

The Peculiar by Stefan Bachmann (2012)

2012 (4) 2013 (4) adventure (6) audiobook (8) changeling (7) children's (5) ebook (3) England (11) faerie (5) fairies (15) fairy (4) fantasy (51) fiction (14) grade 6 (4) Great Britain (2) jfic (3) juvenile (3) kidlit (2) Kindle (6) London (4) magic (14) MG (5) mystery (8) science fiction (3) steampunk (28) to-read (23) wishlist (3) x (3) YA (11) young adult (7)

English (14)  German (1)  All languages (15)
Some years ago, a faerie door opened in the city of Bath, nearly obliterating the city and releasing a wave of the Fae into the mundane world before closing again. There were skirmishes and struggles, but now the faeries are assimilating into human culture, kept in check by iron and tolling bells. The mixing of the two races has, however, created a despised sub-class of changelings, or Peculiars. Bartholomew Kettle is one such child. He and his sister Hettie live with their human mother in the slums of Bath, having been long since abandoned by their faerie father. When changelings start disappearing, nobody is particularly concerned, but when Hettie is taken, Bartholomew will do anything to rescue her. Along the way, he will find himself tangled up in political schemes far beyond anything he could have imagined.

I really enjoyed this book. I listened to the audio version, and found it difficult to tear myself away. The premise is interesting, the worldbuilding strong, and I loved the characters -- plucky Bartholomew, wistful Hettie, lackadaisical Mr. Jelliby -- and the Sidhe always make such convincing villains! The book does end on a cliffhanger, so I'll be reading the next book in the series soon. ( )
1 vote foggidawn | Jun 18, 2014 |
well, 3/4 in and Zack and I gave up, especially when we realized it was a series. Zack said it was too dark, and I was bored with the pace. anyone want my copy, message me! ( )
  limamikealpha | Jun 5, 2014 |
Normally, I enjoy listening to books, but this is one I wish I had read. I had trouble understanding some of the voices which made it hard to focus on the story. What I did get, though, was a cute story with a great cliffhanger. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Apr 24, 2014 |
I really liked this one. A cross between Harry Potter and The Golden Compass with some original fairy mythology of its own. I'm really looking forward to reading the sequel. ( )
  Inky_Fingers | Apr 13, 2014 |
Several years ago, the city of Bath and all its residents were completely destroyed when a gigantic door between Faerie and our world opened up in the center of the city, releasing thousands of faeries of all sorts and then closing tightly up again. Since then, fairies have been incorporated into everyday English life, and even into the government. Humans are still wary of faerie magic, but they have learned to suppress magic through the use of tolling bells, iron, and general steampunkness. The only beings who are truly ostracized are Changelings, or Peculiars - half-human, half-faerie children who live mostly in the partially-rebuilt slums of Bath. No one notices or cares when Changelings start disappearing from the slums except a little boy named Bartholomew Kettle, a changeling himself. When Bartholomew's sister Hettie is kidnapped, he has to find out what is happening to the rest of the Changelings, too. Thankfully a reluctant, lazy MP named Mr. Jelliby is begrudgingly on the case as well.

This!! This is what a faerie/steampunk story should be like! The world-building is complex, but makes total sense. There is a prologue that explains the destruction of Bath in a simple but emotional way before the plot commences. The characters are nuanced and unique but have distinct motivations so the reader is never left wondering why they are acting a particular way. Bartholomew is ostracized and abused but loves his sister. Mr. Jelliby is good-hearted but lazy and non-confrontational. The faerie chancellor Mr. Lickerish wants to open another door to Faerie, and he doesn't care what or who gets in his way. I wasn't expecting greatness from this free audiobook, but I am very pleasantly surprised. Watch out for the cliffhanger, though. ( )
1 vote norabelle414 | Apr 2, 2014 |

Stefan Bachmannprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Altschuler, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mom and my sister,
who read it first
Feathers fell from the sky.

After humans win the faery wars in England, a half-human, half-faery child, scorned by both races, finds himself at the center of a web of intrigue and danger when he is stalked by a sinister faery.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,495,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible