The Peculiar by Stefan Bachmann

The Peculiar (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Stefan Bachmann

Member:swanack
Title:The Peculiar
Authors:Stefan Bachmann
Info:Greenwillow Books (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:***

The Peculiar by Stefan Bachmann (2012)

English (15)  German (1)  All languages (16)
Great fantasy, action-packed novel! The story, half-steampunk genre follows Bartholomew as he tries to free his sister, after she has been taken to open a faery door between the Old Country and London. With the help of Mr. Jelliby, he will have to fight off humans and faery alike. ( )
  smheatherly2 | Jul 24, 2014 |
Some years ago, a faerie door opened in the city of Bath, nearly obliterating the city and releasing a wave of the Fae into the mundane world before closing again. There were skirmishes and struggles, but now the faeries are assimilating into human culture, kept in check by iron and tolling bells. The mixing of the two races has, however, created a despised sub-class of changelings, or Peculiars. Bartholomew Kettle is one such child. He and his sister Hettie live with their human mother in the slums of Bath, having been long since abandoned by their faerie father. When changelings start disappearing, nobody is particularly concerned, but when Hettie is taken, Bartholomew will do anything to rescue her. Along the way, he will find himself tangled up in political schemes far beyond anything he could have imagined.

I really enjoyed this book. I listened to the audio version, and found it difficult to tear myself away. The premise is interesting, the worldbuilding strong, and I loved the characters -- plucky Bartholomew, wistful Hettie, lackadaisical Mr. Jelliby -- and the Sidhe always make such convincing villains! The book does end on a cliffhanger, so I'll be reading the next book in the series soon. ( )
1 vote foggidawn | Jun 18, 2014 |
well, 3/4 in and Zack and I gave up, especially when we realized it was a series. Zack said it was too dark, and I was bored with the pace. anyone want my copy, message me! ( )
  limamikealpha | Jun 5, 2014 |
Normally, I enjoy listening to books, but this is one I wish I had read. I had trouble understanding some of the voices which made it hard to focus on the story. What I did get, though, was a cute story with a great cliffhanger. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Apr 24, 2014 |
I really liked this one. A cross between Harry Potter and The Golden Compass with some original fairy mythology of its own. I'm really looking forward to reading the sequel. ( )
  Inky_Fingers | Apr 13, 2014 |

Stefan Bachmannprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Altschuler, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mom and my sister,
who read it first
Feathers fell from the sky.

After humans win the faery wars in England, a half-human, half-faery child, scorned by both races, finds himself at the center of a web of intrigue and danger when he is stalked by a sinister faery.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,615,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible