The Peculiar by Stefan Bachmann

The Peculiar (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Stefan Bachmann

Member:swanack
Title:The Peculiar
Authors:Stefan Bachmann
Info:Greenwillow Books (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:***

The Peculiar by Stefan Bachmann (2012)

English (21)  German (2)  All languages (23)
I picked up this book based upon the cover. When I started reading it I was hooked right away! Steampunk, magic, goblins, faeries & suspense! I couldn't wait to get to the end to see what happened. The book was also full of action & good characters. The setting takes place in London during a time when humans & faeries must live together but neither is happy about it. Just a really good story. Can't wait for book 2. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
Maybe I wasn't in the mood for steampunk fantasy, but this book was very unsatisfying for me. I found myself skimming quite a bit, and if it were not a mere 265 pages, I would have put this one down. In my opinion, the characters were not properly set up. This seemed to be the second book in a series, making me feel like I had started the book in the middle. I had no sympathy for the protagonist and no disdain for the antagonist.

I would have liked more of a day-to-day life description of the characters before they were thrust into action. While the preface was nice in that it described the faery world coming to England, I didn't get a good feel for the reason, the changes, or the new life with these creatures. What was so wrong with changelings? Was the author trying to make a commentary on a section of humanity in their story?

In the end, I was glad it was over, was completely unsatisfied in the finish, will not read more and cannot recommend. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
I loved this book. I would imagine if you like JK Rowling, you will engage with this one.

The only thing that has surprised me when reading the reviews below, is that unlike some of the readers I found the first few chapters hard work. The first chapter was engaging from page one, but then it began to be tricky to get into the story. By the middle though I was hooked. Like others, I felt the story did come to an abrubt ending, but I am hoping I can find the rest in the series to read. I did not know it was from a first time author though till today! ( )
  GGreen | Nov 21, 2015 |
Just finished Stefan Bachman's The Peculiar, which started off really cool and interesting (faries! Steampunk! Bath and London!) and sadly lost steam (lol I slay me) as it developed.

I think this is partly because to me it seemed the writing began to suffer from about the half way mark on, as though the first half of the book had been worked on carefully, and the second merely spat out. There was a lot of really cool ideas and imagery, but characterisation was thin and weak, and the plot relied a lot on coincidence.

So, a sort-of recommendation for those who love books about fay and UK. As a first novel from a young writer, it shows *a lot* of promise, but hopefully the writer doesn't rest on his wunderkind laurels and works harder at his craft.

(I see he's written a handful of books since then, so I may check them out at some stage if the library has them.)
  CatHellisen | Jun 26, 2015 |
I have wanted to read this book for some time. I ended up picking it up off of the dollar table at one of my son’s book fairs at school. It ended up being a wonderful steampunk middle grade novel with magic and mystery.

This book takes place in an alternate London where fae unwillingly fell into our world. The story follows two characters; the first is Bartholomew Kettle, who lives with his mother and sister in the faery slums of Bath. Bartholomew is a Peculiar, half fae and half human. When he sees a strange woman in a rich plum dress he is determined to find out the mystery behind her. The other character is Arthur Jellyby who is on the London council. Arthur just wants to coast through life unnoticed and unbothered, however he ends up drawn into a mystery surrounding the disappearance of Peculiars that puts him in contact with Bartholomew.

I loved the lush and descriptive writing. This book is all about the moody atmospheric setting; the descriptive writing makes all of the scenes really come alive so that you feel like you are walking the streets of this strange and peculiar London.

There is some excellent world building here and I really loved the idea of a London where faery had unwillingly taken residence. It’s a very creative idea and very well done. I love that you never know what kind of fae you will see next wandering the streets of this book.

This is one of the first middle grade steampunk books I have ever read and it was well done. There are a lot of fun steampunk elements in here.

Probably my biggest issue with the story was that I had a bit of trouble engaging with the characters. I just am not all that sympathetic to the characters and their plight; they come off as a bit dry. I also thought the story ended very abruptly. I didn’t realize that this was part of a series, but even knowing that now the ending to this book just seems very unfinished...which is a shame.

Overall this was a well done middle grade steampunk novel. I enjoyed the world-building and the wonderfully descriptive writing. I did have some trouble engaging with the characters though. I would recommend to middle grade and older readers who love mysteries with some fantasy in them; especially to those who are interested in the steampunk genre. I personally am not sure if I will continue reading the series. ( )
  krau0098 | Jun 21, 2015 |

Stefan Bachmannprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Altschuler, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mom and my sister,
who read it first
Feathers fell from the sky.

After humans win the faery wars in England, a half-human, half-faery child, scorned by both races, finds himself at the center of a web of intrigue and danger when he is stalked by a sinister faery.

18 wanted3 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,164,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible