Scent of Triumph by Jan Moran

Scent of Triumph (original 2015; edition 2012)

by Jan Moran

Member:jo2son
Title:Scent of Triumph
Authors:Jan Moran
Info:Briarcliffe Press (2012), Edition: 1rst, Paperback, 403 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:read in 2013, ebook, netgalley, romance, World War 2, England, France, Poland, Los Angeles, perfume, family, struggle, historical fiction, fashion design

Scent of Triumph by Jan Moran (2015)

I received a free copy of this e-book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Scent of Triumph follows French perfume-maker Danielle Bretancourt she and her family struggle to survive in, and then escape pre-war Europe. I didn’t enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. The character of Danielle seemed too perfect at times. A character who always succeeds and does everything perfectly gets old very fast. You have to admire all that she accomplishes during the course of the book, but it seemed to come to her too easy. Some of the things Danielle accomplishes seem too far-fetched for a war refugee with virtually no money and a family in tow. Each problem she encounters always seems to end with the situation being wrapped up in a nice little package.

While the novel wasn’t bad overall, I really couldn’t relate to the characters, and I greatly disliked how everything always seems to work out. I would recommend it to someone who enjoys women-focused fiction, particularly WWII fiction. ( )
  LISandKL | Mar 5, 2015 |
The Scent of Triumph took me into an amazing journey from France to America. Through the first pages I thought that I was going to read a story similar to Titanic but oh!! Was I ever wrong? Jan Moran did an excellent job in keeping the reader eager trying to keep up with the next scene. Danielle is a strong courageous woman that spied for the French resistance, and I fell in love with her character. My mother was one of those amazing spies so I felt a clear connection to the heroine of this story. Danielle lived through some nail biting situations during the tremulous times of II world war. The war destroyed the days of tranquility and beauty in her life and threw her world into a whirling tornado. She endured the horror that enveloped her life when her husband and son were lost behind enemy lines. She was forced to flee France and come to America, where she picked up her broken heart and the fragments of her life and started over again with more gusto and more determination. She developed her signature perfume that mesmerized Hollywood. Jan Moran blends smoothly into those pages a mixture of so many tangible feeling such as loss, fear, love, hope, and self-identity. The book is enticing and I know you would love it! When I finally finished the book I found myself wanting more but there was no more ☹. I do want to see the book as a movie, however I don’t think anyone can portrait on the screen what Jan has put so superbly on paper. I am a fan!!! ( )
  An-Avid-Reader | Feb 18, 2015 |
Danielle Bretancourt von Hoffman is a French woman who seemingly has everything going for her, a caring German husband, a young son and another child on the way, a supportive family well placed in Parisian society and the nose and expertise of a family heritage in perfumery, but her world is on the verge of being upended by the Hitler war machine about to envelop Europe. By the time Hitler has begun to sweep into France, Danielle's life and family has been shattered, but she has sought refuge half a world away in Los Angeles. Now, she has her nose and her sense of business to build a fashion industry in wartime Hollywood, while trying to navigate between love and security, defending herself from a personal Nazi vendetta, and finding hope in her search for her missing son lost in war-torn Europe. Ms. Moran has crafted an intricate, enjoyable tale of character strength, confounding relationships, unexpected dangers and hopes for a better future based within the history and science of the perfume industry. ( )
  kerryreis57 | Mar 26, 2014 |
This book was originally published in December of 2012. I obtained a free Kindle copy at NetGalley from Briarcliffe Press. It is a sweeping love story that takes place during World War II. The book also weaves in elements of perfume creation in the 1940s.

The main character is Danielle Bretancourt. The story begins in 1939 when Danielle is on a ship to England. She has left Poland with her husband Max. She is pregnant with her second child. Nick her first child is still in Poland with Sofia, Max’s mother. This is the start of the action. The ship is attacked by a U-boat. She survives and so does Max.

She is consumed with looking for her son, but she must go on with her life. Max is trying to find her son and is working as an informant for England. He is killed by his cousin Heinrich who is in the S.S.. She finds herself falling in love with Jon who was a friend of her husband’s. She believes he is in love with someone else. Her father dies at the hands of her brother, Jean-Claude. Jean-Claude plants a bomb in the car of his dad’s associate and by chance his father, his own wife and the associate die. Jean Claude then commits suicide.

Danielle takes her mother, her niece and baby to America to live. Here she finds that life is hard. She struggles to make ends meet. She finds success making and selling perfumes and fashions. She later marries a man for money, only to find out that he is in debt. It is a tale of action, sorrow, love, loss and finally triumph. Danielle is one tough lady and overcomes many obstacles in her life.

This was a great find!!! I really got caught up in this one. It is action packed and fast moving. Enticing to readers who enjoy romances, World War II stories, perfume creation and family dramas. Well written with vivid descriptions that were not wordy. A beautiful story with a happy ending. I finished it in 2 days!! I give it 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Pattymclpn | Jul 21, 2013 |
The story follows the life of Danielle from poverty and the loss of a child through to following her dreams and building a new life built upon a background of the atrocities of World War II. It is a story of love, loss, and finding the strength to pursue your dreams in face of overwhelming obstacles. A must read. Have your tissues ready. ( )
  KerryMarsh | Apr 22, 2013 |
"SCENT OF TRIUMPH offers action, suspense and romance as it follows its intrepid heroine through the turbulent years of World War II, from the depths of tragedy to the heights of success. Fragrance lovers will enjoy the skillful way in which scent is woven into the story...and how the heroine's experiences are filtered through her highly refined sense of smell."
added by janmoran | editNancy Arnott, A&E Television Networks

"An epic love story with a bold and passionate heroine. Bravo!"
added by janmoran | editRachelle Ayala Blog, Rachelle Ayala

"Filled with love, loss, struggle, triumph. Moran writes in such a way that you will feel as if you were transported back to the era. Her characters are well developed. Very unique, an enjoyable read."
added by janmoran | editRebecca's Reads Review

"Though romance figures importantly in [SCENT OF TRIUMPH], Danielle's professional life is most appealing, profiting from perfume expert Moran's (Fabulous Fragrances, 1994, etc.) authentic experience...The casual demeanor with which Danielle always notices scents in her environment helps establish her character and professional credibility in a charming way...Danielle makes for a strong, unusual heroine who doesn't always make wise decisions, although her resilience, style and knowledge remain admirable.... [A] historical fiction carried by a complex, resourceful heroine with a nose for business."
- Kirkus Reviews
added by janmoran | editKirkus

"SCENT OF TRIUMPH [is a] World War II epic."
added by janmoran | editLos Angeles Times, Denise Hamilton

For my mother, Jeanne Hollenbeck, who contributed her memories of life during World War II, and instilled a love of perfume and all things beautiful in me. My deep appreciation and love.
Danielle Bretancourt von Hoffman braced herself against the mahogany-paneled stateroom wall, striving for balance as she flung open a brass porthole, seeking a moment of respite she knew would never be. A damp, kelp-scented wind—a harbinger of the storm ahead—whistled through the cabin, assaulting her nose with its raw intensity, but the sting of salty spray did little to assuage the fear she had for her little boy.
For like an artist, the true test of a perfumer lay not in the skill with which she blended her materials, but in the imagination.
All you have is within you, and that is all you will ever need.
A rose, the symbol of love, the queen of the perfumer’s palette. How then, does the perfume of war intoxicate even the most reasonable of men?
Thyme crushed beneath a boot, the bowed head of a wilted flower, the acrid smell of
smoke—this is the perfume of destruction. The sacrilegious scent of annihilation cloys the air like cheap perfume. What sort of aromas are these?
Deep within the stench of despair blooms the perfume of hope.

Scent of Triumph is the story of Danielle Bretancourt, a talented young French perfumer with a flair for fashion and a natural olfactory gift. In the language of perfumery, she is a Nose, with the rare ability to recognize thousands of essences by memory. The story opens on the day England declares war on Germany, and Danielle and her family are caught in the midst of a raging disaster sweeping across Europe.

Her life takes a tragic turn when Nazis murder her husband and their only son is stranded behind enemy lines. She spies for the French resistance, determined to find him, but is forced to flee Europe with fragments of her family. Destitute, she mines her talents to create a magnificent perfume that captures the hearts of Hollywood's top stars, then gambles again to win wealth and success as a couturier. Her intelligence and flair attracts the adoration of Jonathan Newell-Grey, of England's top shipping conglomerate, and Cameron Murphy, Hollywood's most charismatic star.

Danielle charts her course through devastating wartime losses and revenge; lustful lovers and loveless marriages; and valiant struggles to reunite her family. Set between privileged lifestyles and gritty realities, here is one woman's story of courage, spirit, and resilience.

From the Author: "Scent of Triumph was inspired by my love of perfume and its creative process. It was based in part on research I did in creating Scentsa, the touch screen fragrance finder now in all Sephora stores, and in creating my own perfumes. But I also drew upon my own family history and my mother's memories of World War II. I imagined a young entrepreneur whose talent, determination, and fearlessness catapult her to the pinnacle of success, despite mounting personal tragedies and the elusiveness of love."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:57 -0400)

Jan Moran is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,191,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible