Her Forbidden Hero by Laura Kaye

Her Forbidden Hero (edition 2012)

by Laura Kaye

Member:Justducky422
Title:Her Forbidden Hero
Authors:Laura Kaye
Info:Entangled Publishing (Brazen) (2012), Kindle Edition, 146 pages
Rating:*****

Her Forbidden Hero by Laura Kaye

2.5 stars

This was just okay for me. I much preferred Kaye's [b:Hearts in Darkness|11201007|Hearts in Darkness|Laura Kaye|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1306632316s/11201007.jpg|16101664] to this one. ( )
  CreativeJunkie | Sep 23, 2013 |
I loved this one. Laura Kaye goes really good heroes, and the heroines aren't like, stupid or anything. Just regular people. I did think the ending was a bit too sweet, but it kinda fit the story, I suppose. Good sexual tension throughout the whole story, you really just wanted these two to be together already.

And that scene at the lake? Ho boy! ( )
  Bitchie | Sep 21, 2013 |

This is my third Laura Kaye book and she never disappoints to write heart-warming stories about characters who seem to exist apart from everyone else and just want to find a place where they belong, someone they can belong to. In this story, the hero, a protector and friend finds himself in a role reversal. Once, a long time ago, he did the protecting. Now he's the one being protected by the one person he thinks he can't and shouldn't want. But being cared about never felt so good.

After the death of their mother, Alyssa and Brady Scott's father turned into an alcoholic and abusive towards his children. Their only solace was Marco Vieri , their neighbor. The three of them ended up becoming very close. When the boys were old enough, they moved in together and took Alyssa with them. Once she left for college, Brady and Marco moved on to join the Army's Special Forces.

Alyssa has just graduated from college and is down on her luck. With no money or possessions, she returns to her home town to take a job at Whiskey's. She knows Marco works there, so she hopes she'll be able to work with her once best friend (and secret crush) and earn enough money to afford a place to stay. The reunion doesn't go quite as planned. Marco is happy to see her at first, until he realizes she'll be working in that rowdy place. He feels he owes it to Brady to look out for her when the last thing he wants to do is babysit her. Then he notices that she's not a kid anymore, but she's turned into a woman since he last saw her. When fantasies of Alyssa creep into his mind unbidden, Marco desperately tries to tell himself to stay away from Alyssa. Not only is he carrying around a ton of emotional baggage and he's not good enough for her, but she's his best friend's little sister and therefore off limits, end of story.

Alyssa has always harbored a secret crush for Marco which has turned into love over time, but she can't tell him that. He probably still sees her as the little kid and best friend's sister. That doesn't stop her from wanting to be close to him, thinking deep down he's still the same Marco she's always known. When he catches her asleep in the bar's green room, he offers her a place to stay, against his better judgment. Since returning from combat, he's been plagued with guilt and devastating nightmares. When Alyssa notices this, her first instinct is to comfort him and be there for him, just like he'd always been there for her during her rough childhood. Unbeknownst to Marco, Alyssa has been soothing him through the nights. He manages to keep his distance from her but his resolve is crumbling quickly. Feeling better and during a moment of weakness, they share a passionate kiss. Before she can revel in her happiness, it comes crashing down when Marco finds out that she's the reason he's been sleeping better, and that she's been losing sleep because of it. His anger is instantaneous and crushing. His cruel words cut her deeply, and she leaves. When he saves her a week later from a near sexual assault at work, he thinks he finally has a chance to make things right with her. They give in to their passion and their desire. Before they can really talk about their feelings, Brady shows up out of the blue. A misunderstanding and not wanting to come between two best friends force Alyssa to realize that she needs to move on with her life and accept a job offer in D.C. Marco finally acknowledges what he's always known, he loves her and now he must race against time to make her believe him or risk losing her forever.

I LOVED this pairing of the closed off loner, the tortured hero and the silent, but vigilant heroine. Marco's self-loathing is absolutely believable (because I know someone a little like him). Of course he tries to keep her at arm's length, to save her from shouldering the burdens of his ugly life thus far. He claims that Alyssa is too naïve for her own good, and maybe she is when it comes to him, and thinking he made it out of the war zone still the same man. What drew me the most to this couple was the heroine. There were flashes of her where she seemed so young and fragile, like the little abused girl of her past. Then she'd show some backbone and my admiration at her tenacity would rise. The flow of the story was well paced, the events unfolded believably. I didn't feel like the characters fell in love too quickly – they already had a foundation to begin with, only now Alyssa gets to play the role Marco had always had for her in her youth, a protector. The author's writing is as usual brilliantly executed and she still manages to bring her characters to life through her words.

Tense negotiations in foreign languages with warlords who would shoot you as soon as they look at you, he could candle. A simple conversation with a twenty-two-year-old American woman? Apparently not. Godddammit. ( )
  MsRomanticReads | Apr 12, 2013 |
Marco was a soldier that got severely injured overseas and is trying to deal with his life now. He also carries a significant amount of guilt for other people that were killed during the same mission. Marco is definitely damaged and he has stuff he needs to deal with, but when you got to see the person underneath all that he was a great guy.

I liked Alyssa because she had a subtle strength about her. She wasn't badass, but when it came down to it, she dealt with situations in a very real and strong way.

There were a couple of things that bothered me. One of them was that I wanted to hear more about what happened to Marco, particularly the damage to his brain that sometimes makes it difficult for him to say things. It was touched on, but I would've liked to know more. The other thing is that I felt like the marriage proposal was a bit premature. I realize they had known each other for a long time, but the relationship was so new they didn't even both know it was a relationship yet.

The hero in the next book is Alyssa's brother, Brady and I'm looking forward to reading it because I quite liked his brief appearance in this book.

So, overall, I liked it, but wish it could have been a bit more fleshed out. Not my favorite by Laura Kaye, but I will be picking up the next book so I can read more about Brady. ( )
  Jyl22075 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Author: Laura Kaye
Published By: Entangled Publishing LLC
Age Recommended: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: 5

Review:

"Her Forbidden Hero"by Laura Kaye was a wonderfully well written novel. This was a very heart filled story of Alyssa, Brady and Marco ....sister, brother and true friend. Alyssa had been reared mainly by her brother Brady and his friend..Marco. Now, they were all grown and with Alyssa having feeling for her best friend...Marco Vieri....how was this to play out with all of the problems that were going on with Marco? Alyssa brother..Brady was in the special forces and just what was going on with Marco. Alyssa had graduated from college and needed a job. Now Marco is glad to see her until he finds out she will be working in a rowdy place...where it looked as if he would have to babysit her. However, Alyssa lets Marco know first on that she was not a kid anymore and needed no babysitting from him. Marco starts to fantasize of Alyssa and he knows he needs to stay away from her....but can he? Now, this is where I will say you will have to pick up this good read to find out...Is Marco able to stay away from Alyssa and what about his own demons he has to work on? This is Marco best friends sister and he knew this would have to be hands off but will that happen especially since Alyssa was always had a secret crush for Marco?

You will not go wrong is picking up "Her Forbidden Hero" because because you will find a very sexy hero and above all a wonderful heart felt romance. It will truly be one of those novels you will not be able to put down till the end. I felt like this was a great read of a love story and I would definitely recommend this one for you. ( )
  arlenadean | Oct 22, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,775,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible