The Watsons Go to Birmingham-1963 by…

The Watsons Go to Birmingham-1963

by Christopher Paul Curtis

Recently added bykuipers5, peachtreepub, knits4feet, marybearce, KristinK0216, private library, LBA-Library
    Iron Thunder (I Witness) by Avi (jacqueline065)
    jacqueline065: I was reminded of the historical accout when I read this book. For Historical Fiction Lovers
    One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine (foggidawn)

I read this book to my fourth and fifth grade students this year as a read aloud. My students had read stories about Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks and had some background knowledge of the Civil Rights Movement. We also watched the movie after we finished reading the book, which gave my students an even greater visual of what life was like for African American people living in the south during 1963.
  MissMurray2014 | Jun 2, 2014 |
this book is about a family from Michigan who goes to visit Grandma all the way in Birmingham Alabama. there is a lot of racial tension in the book that i think is good for students to understand, in that time period. ( )
  cansara | Dec 10, 2013 |
1960's story tells of the Watson's who live in Michigan and take a trip to Birmingham. This story tells of racial tension and issues and displays them in a way student's could understand. ( )
  rcsmart12 | Dec 6, 2013 |
It’s the 1960s the Watsons live in Michigan. This nonfiction collection of childhood memories reminded me a bit of The Christmas Story; a small town family, funny stories of their interactions at home and at school, etc.

The book deals heavily with sibling rivalry and bullying. The climax is a family trip to Birmingham to visit their Grandmother. Their fun trip ends in heartbreak when it coincides with racial tensions in the town.

BOTTOM LINE: What a wonderful book to spark a discussion of the battle for civil rights in the 1960s with a new generation. Seen from the eyes of a young boy, there’s so much room for confusion and misunderstanding. It opens the door for kids to ask questions about what happened during that important period in our history. ( )
  bookworm12 | Dec 6, 2013 |
This is about a African-American family, living in the town of Flint, Michigan in 1963 who then moves to Birmingham Alabama which is a very turbulent time during the civil rights moment
  bmmander | Dec 2, 2013 |
Carole Robertson
Born 4/24/49, died 9/15/63
Cynthia Wesley
Born 4/30/49, died 9/15/63
the toll for one day in one city
This book is dedicated to my parents, Dr. Herman and Leslie Lewis Curtis, who have given their children both roots and wings and encouraged us to soar; my sister, Cydney Eleanor Curtis, who has been unfailingly supportive, kind and herself; and above all to my wife, Kaysandra Anne Sookram Curtis, who has provided a warmth and love that have allowed me to laugh, to grow and, most importantly, to dream.
It was one of those super-duper-cold Saturdays.
"Some of the time I wondered if something really was wrong with me. Byron had just told me that someone had dropped a bomb on Joey's church, hadn't he? If that was true why was I only thinking about how much trouble By was going to be in when they heard how loud he'd slammed the screen door, and asking myself why hadn't he put on his shoes? His socks wouldn't last two minutes on the Alabama mud."

A family story, both comic and moving, touches on the frightening times of the early civil rights movement.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 044022800X, Mass Market Paperback)

The year is 1963, and self-important Byron Watson is the bane of his younger brother Kenny's existence. Constantly in trouble for one thing or another, from straightening his hair into a "conk" to lighting fires to freezing his lips to the mirror of the new family car, Byron finally pushes his family too far. Before this "official juvenile delinquent" can cut school or steal change one more time, Momma and Dad finally make good on their threat to send him to the deep south to spend the summer with his tiny, strict grandmother. Soon the whole family is packed up, ready to make the drive from Flint, Michigan, straight into one of the most chilling moments in America's history: the burning of the Sixteenth Avenue Baptist Church with four little girls inside.

Christopher Paul Curtis's alternately hilarious and deeply moving novel, winner of the Newbery Honor and the Coretta Scott King Honor, blends the fictional account of an African American family with the factual events of the violent summer of 1963. Fourth grader Kenny is an innocent and sincere narrator; his ingenuousness lends authenticity to the story and invites readers of all ages into his world, even as it changes before his eyes. Curtis is also the acclaimed author of Bud, Not Buddy, winner of the Newbery Medal. (Ages 9 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:37 -0400)

The ordinary interactions and everyday routines of the Watsons, an African American family living in Flint, Michigan, are drastically changed after they go to visit Grandma in Alabama in the summer of 1963.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,478,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible