The Watsons Go to Birmingham-1963 by…

The Watsons Go to Birmingham-1963

by Christopher Paul Curtis

Iron Thunder (I Witness) by Avi (jacqueline065)
    jacqueline065: I was reminded of the historical accout when I read this book. For Historical Fiction Lovers
    One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine (foggidawn)

This Realistic Fiction Multicultural story follows the Watson family through their every day lives. It introduces Dad and Mom Watson, Byron, Kenny, and Joetta in their home in Flint, Michigan. Kenny is the narrator of this story and he tells us everything that is happening at home and at school. It starts off when all of the kids are in elementary school at Clark Elementary. Byron who is the oldest, is the King of Clark. He is the main bully of the story, and everything that Kenny tells us about Byron is mostly just Byron getting into trouble. Kenny, the middle child, has trouble fitting in at school until a new kid, Rufus, moves in down the street. Joetta is the youngest and she keeps the family together and sane. Halfway through the book, Byron gets himself into trouble that he can't back out of, and his parents decide to send him to his Grandma that lives in Birmingham, Alabama. Here, the family stays for the summer hoping that Byron will learn his lesson, and he does. He changes for the better and actually becomes nice! Towards the end of the stay in Birmingham, Joetta decides to go to church with some of the neighbors. The same day, a bomb is set off in the church. The family can't find Joetta, so they all think that she died in the bomb. However, she shows up later that day with no recollection of what happened. The story ends with the Watson's driving back to Flint where Byron and Kenny rekindle their brotherly love and the family is whole once again. ( )
  amassingale | Apr 20, 2015 |
I like this book for a few reasons. To begin, I like this book because of the big idea. This book is told from the perspective of a young African American growing up during the 1960's. He explains what life is like. The big idea is for the reader to become informed with how bad the Civil Rights Movement really became. I like this book because the characters are well-developed and some mysterious. Take for example Byron. He is a character who thinks he is the best and perfect human on Earth. When it comes to saving his brother's life, he has no problem showing his emotion. The change in character was interesting to see in Byron, the reader never really knew what to expect from him. As stated before, the point of view was wonderful for this story. By having it from the perspective of a young boy, the reader is not exposed to too much information about what is happening, but understanding it how someone at age 11 would understand the Movement. In the end of the book when Kenny goes into the church he feels surreal as an 11 year old should when seeing what he saw. The plot of the story is suspenseful. In the end of the story it became very intense when "whool pool" was introduced and when the situation happened at Joey's Sunday School in church. These events started to give the reader the idea of what was happening at this time. I wish there was a little bit more of information on the time period and what was going on rather than just the one event in the church to represent what was going on with the movement. Otherwise, this is an absolutely excellent novel with some great humor. ( )
  ndange1 | Apr 19, 2015 |
I really enjoyed The Watsons Go To Birmingham. I thought that it was a interesting idea to have the 1960's seen from a child's perspective. I think it is a great book about growing up in a racist world along with incorporating historic events; such as the church bombings in Birmingham. I thought that the main character was very hard on himself when he thought he lost his sister in the attacks and then the whirlpool. This book offers a different perspective of a historical time for young children who are beginning to learn about segregation. Students will enjoy reading this book and appreciate the kindness of the main character Kenny. ( )
  kabdo1 | Apr 19, 2015 |
This was a wonderfully hilarious look at family life during the Civil Rights Movement - though unlike most works dealing with the Civil Rights Movement, it focuses very little on the actual movement, and instead does a remarkable job on focusing on how simple family-life was. The characters were all exceptionally relatable and school-life is portrayed pretty realistically instead of as a hyperbolic absurdity or a rose-tinted yesteryear memory. ( )
  benuathanasia | Apr 8, 2015 |
This book follows the story of a family with two sons. The older son bullies the younger one, so they decide to take the boy to his grandmother in Alabama. While there, they witness the civil rights movement and a few historical events.
  elindseyziegler | Mar 15, 2015 |
Carole Robertson
Born 4/24/49, died 9/15/63
Cynthia Wesley
Born 4/30/49, died 9/15/63
the toll for one day in one city
This book is dedicated to my parents, Dr. Herman and Leslie Lewis Curtis, who have given their children both roots and wings and encouraged us to soar; my sister, Cydney Eleanor Curtis, who has been unfailingly supportive, kind and herself; and above all to my wife, Kaysandra Anne Sookram Curtis, who has provided a warmth and love that have allowed me to laugh, to grow and, most importantly, to dream.
It was one of those super-duper-cold Saturdays.
"Some of the time I wondered if something really was wrong with me. Byron had just told me that someone had dropped a bomb on Joey's church, hadn't he? If that was true why was I only thinking about how much trouble By was going to be in when they heard how loud he'd slammed the screen door, and asking myself why hadn't he put on his shoes? His socks wouldn't last two minutes on the Alabama mud."

A family story, both comic and moving, touches on the frightening times of the early civil rights movement.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 044022800X, Mass Market Paperback)

The year is 1963, and self-important Byron Watson is the bane of his younger brother Kenny's existence. Constantly in trouble for one thing or another, from straightening his hair into a "conk" to lighting fires to freezing his lips to the mirror of the new family car, Byron finally pushes his family too far. Before this "official juvenile delinquent" can cut school or steal change one more time, Momma and Dad finally make good on their threat to send him to the deep south to spend the summer with his tiny, strict grandmother. Soon the whole family is packed up, ready to make the drive from Flint, Michigan, straight into one of the most chilling moments in America's history: the burning of the Sixteenth Avenue Baptist Church with four little girls inside.

Christopher Paul Curtis's alternately hilarious and deeply moving novel, winner of the Newbery Honor and the Coretta Scott King Honor, blends the fictional account of an African American family with the factual events of the violent summer of 1963. Fourth grader Kenny is an innocent and sincere narrator; his ingenuousness lends authenticity to the story and invites readers of all ages into his world, even as it changes before his eyes. Curtis is also the acclaimed author of Bud, Not Buddy, winner of the Newbery Medal. (Ages 9 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:37 -0400)

The ordinary interactions and everyday routines of the Watsons, an African American family living in Flint, Michigan, are drastically changed after they go to visit Grandma in Alabama in the summer of 1963.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,599,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible