The Watsons Go to Birmingham--1963 by…

The Watsons Go to Birmingham--1963

by Christopher Paul Curtis

4,1912401,192 (4.12)70
    Iron Thunder (I Witness) by Avi (jacqueline065)
    jacqueline065: I was reminded of the historical accout when I read this book. For Historical Fiction Lovers
    One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine (foggidawn)

This a story of a boy,Kenny, who lives in Flint, Mich. in 1963. He is a second grader and he is African American. This book is cut into several short stories about the Watson family during the year 1963. The family decides to travel to Birmingham, AL to see family and to leave Byron, Kenny's older brother, with grandma for a little while. Byron has been causing trouble in flint and his parents are making an attempt to stop him from making even bigger mistakes. This is told through the perspective of a second-grade child. The story is impactful and draws connections to events that students read about.
Critique of Genere- Historical Fiction because the events could have happened but did not.
Media- none
Ages- 4th-12th grade ( )
  Lhayden4 | Apr 20, 2017 |
Is a story of fourth grader Kenny Watson from Flint, Michigan who tells his experiences of his school, friends and family. It also talked aboutthe hardships that him and his family went through together when we almost came close to losing one of our close family members and just trying to figure out what we could have done to fix a situation that was out of our control. Throughout the book we see how he is trying to find himself as well as trying to understand the world around him with his brother. In the end we see a boy that has grown to understand the things that are happening around him alongside his brother who is a trouble maker.
  jzsolorzano7 | Apr 20, 2017 |
Summary: The novel is about a boy named Kenny and his family as they go through life. The story follows the family on a trip they make to Birmingham, Alabama. The short lived trip brought many questions to the children and realizations of what the civil war is about. Through the events that happen in the book, it brings the Watson family closer.

Critique of Genre: Realistic Fiction because the story could happen.

Age: Intermediate 4th or 5th grade

Media: Cover: Graphic ( )
  elissamcgeever | Apr 19, 2017 |
Summary-

Critique of Genre- Contemporary Realistic Fiction

Age-

Media- Text
  DRhodes02 | Apr 19, 2017 |
It is a great historical fiction book in pen and ink because it shows a ture time in history and it makes people think. In this novel, Kenny and his family live in Flint, Michigan. His brother, Byron, has not stopped acting up and Kenny's Momma and Dad do not know what to do with him. They then come to an agreement to go down to Birmingham, Alabama where they were going to stay with Kenny's grandma for a while, then leave Byron there for the summer. On their trip, in the car they would listen to their ultra-glide and they seemed either fascinated or disgusted by every rest stop they were at. Once they got there, they noticed it was real hot and that it sometimes didn't help them sleep. Then, one day when Joetta, Kenny's sister, was at Sunday school, Kenny heard a loud noise, and that is when everything seemed to change. ( )
  SSilvia | Apr 10, 2017 |
Carole Robertson
Born 4/24/49, died 9/15/63
Cynthia Wesley
Born 4/30/49, died 9/15/63
the toll for one day in one city
This book is dedicated to my parents, Dr. Herman and Leslie Lewis Curtis, who have given their children both roots and wings and encouraged us to soar; my sister, Cydney Eleanor Curtis, who has been unfailingly supportive, kind and herself; and above all to my wife, Kaysandra Anne Sookram Curtis, who has provided a warmth and love that have allowed me to laugh, to grow and, most importantly, to dream.
It was one of those super-duper-cold Saturdays.
"Some of the time I wondered if something really was wrong with me. Byron had just told me that someone had dropped a bomb on Joey's church, hadn't he? If that was true why was I only thinking about how much trouble By was going to be in when they heard how loud he'd slammed the screen door, and asking myself why hadn't he put on his shoes? His socks wouldn't last two minutes on the Alabama mud."

A family story, both comic and moving, touches on the frightening times of the early civil rights movement.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 044022800X, Mass Market Paperback)

The year is 1963, and self-important Byron Watson is the bane of his younger brother Kenny's existence. Constantly in trouble for one thing or another, from straightening his hair into a "conk" to lighting fires to freezing his lips to the mirror of the new family car, Byron finally pushes his family too far. Before this "official juvenile delinquent" can cut school or steal change one more time, Momma and Dad finally make good on their threat to send him to the deep south to spend the summer with his tiny, strict grandmother. Soon the whole family is packed up, ready to make the drive from Flint, Michigan, straight into one of the most chilling moments in America's history: the burning of the Sixteenth Avenue Baptist Church with four little girls inside.

Christopher Paul Curtis's alternately hilarious and deeply moving novel, winner of the Newbery Honor and the Coretta Scott King Honor, blends the fictional account of an African American family with the factual events of the violent summer of 1963. Fourth grader Kenny is an innocent and sincere narrator; his ingenuousness lends authenticity to the story and invites readers of all ages into his world, even as it changes before his eyes. Curtis is also the acclaimed author of Bud, Not Buddy, winner of the Newbery Medal. (Ages 9 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:20 -0400)

The ordinary interactions and everyday routines of the Watsons, an African American family living in Flint, Michigan, are drastically changed after they go to visit Grandma in Alabama in the summer of 1963.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,798,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible