The Watsons Go to Birmingham--1963 by…

The Watsons Go to Birmingham--1963

by Christopher Paul Curtis

4,0202221,272 (4.12)69
    Iron Thunder (I Witness) by Avi (jacqueline065)
    jacqueline065: I was reminded of the historical accout when I read this book. For Historical Fiction Lovers
    One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine (foggidawn)

Great read! I loved the humor as well as the emotion this book brought. It showed much relation to important historical events, and every day issues. It also brought a sense of warmth and family love. ( )
  Jdean12 | Oct 20, 2016 |
A hilarious, touching, and tragic novel about civil rights and the impact of violence on one African American family.
  Jennifer LeGault | Oct 17, 2016 |
This book starts of in Flint, Michigan. It is about the Watson's taking a trip to Birmingham, Alabama to visit their grandam. The purpose of the trip is to get the thirteen year old Byron back on track. The story is from the perspective of the ten year old middle child Kenny. The family finds out that during 1963 the south was not like the north at all.

Personal Reaction:
I really liked this book because it did a really good job of letting you know how the times were back then and how different certain places can be from others.

Classroom Extension:
1. This would be a great lesson on Civil Rights and how things were back then.
2. This would be a great lesson to teach people to treat others how they want to be treated.
  dillonmarsh | Jul 25, 2016 |
I would use this book in a sixth grade classroom that is learning about black history in social studies. I would have my students read this book as starter to kick off the lesson. ( )
  AmbraGoff | Apr 27, 2016 |
I believe that this book would be appropriate for an upper elementary classroom when learning about civil rights and the treatment of African Americans in American history. This book focuses on coming of age, family, society and class, and race which will help students understand the tone of the United States in the 1960s. This book is also told from a different perspective as the book focuses on segregation and the Civil Rights movement from the point of view of a young African American boy from the northern part of the United States. After reading this book, students can use a Venn Diagram to compare and contrast what life was like for African Americans in Flint, Michigan versus Birmingham, Alabama.
  Emily.Clark | Apr 23, 2016 |
Carole Robertson
Born 4/24/49, died 9/15/63
Cynthia Wesley
Born 4/30/49, died 9/15/63
the toll for one day in one city
This book is dedicated to my parents, Dr. Herman and Leslie Lewis Curtis, who have given their children both roots and wings and encouraged us to soar; my sister, Cydney Eleanor Curtis, who has been unfailingly supportive, kind and herself; and above all to my wife, Kaysandra Anne Sookram Curtis, who has provided a warmth and love that have allowed me to laugh, to grow and, most importantly, to dream.
It was one of those super-duper-cold Saturdays.
"Some of the time I wondered if something really was wrong with me. Byron had just told me that someone had dropped a bomb on Joey's church, hadn't he? If that was true why was I only thinking about how much trouble By was going to be in when they heard how loud he'd slammed the screen door, and asking myself why hadn't he put on his shoes? His socks wouldn't last two minutes on the Alabama mud."

A family story, both comic and moving, touches on the frightening times of the early civil rights movement.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 044022800X, Mass Market Paperback)

The year is 1963, and self-important Byron Watson is the bane of his younger brother Kenny's existence. Constantly in trouble for one thing or another, from straightening his hair into a "conk" to lighting fires to freezing his lips to the mirror of the new family car, Byron finally pushes his family too far. Before this "official juvenile delinquent" can cut school or steal change one more time, Momma and Dad finally make good on their threat to send him to the deep south to spend the summer with his tiny, strict grandmother. Soon the whole family is packed up, ready to make the drive from Flint, Michigan, straight into one of the most chilling moments in America's history: the burning of the Sixteenth Avenue Baptist Church with four little girls inside.

Christopher Paul Curtis's alternately hilarious and deeply moving novel, winner of the Newbery Honor and the Coretta Scott King Honor, blends the fictional account of an African American family with the factual events of the violent summer of 1963. Fourth grader Kenny is an innocent and sincere narrator; his ingenuousness lends authenticity to the story and invites readers of all ages into his world, even as it changes before his eyes. Curtis is also the acclaimed author of Bud, Not Buddy, winner of the Newbery Medal. (Ages 9 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:20 -0400)

The ordinary interactions and everyday routines of the Watsons, an African American family living in Flint, Michigan, are drastically changed after they go to visit Grandma in Alabama in the summer of 1963.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,744,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible