Il gioco dei Vor (The Vor Game, 1990) by…

Il gioco dei Vor (The Vor Game, 1990) (edition 2007)

by Lois McMaster Bujold

1,922423,560 (4.14)1 / 130
Title:Il gioco dei Vor (The Vor Game, 1990)
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Info:Nord (2007), Perfect Paperback

The Vor Game by Lois McMaster Bujold

Recently added bydreplogle, Marjorie_Jensen, private library, deva1984, astraplain, SavvyScot, Spurts
Legacy LibrariesInternational Space Station

English (41)  Italian (1)  All languages (42)
I love Miles! I'm at the point where I want to read all the Miles books. Great series to read on planes, trains, and casual carpools.
  Marjorie_Jensen | Nov 12, 2015 |
Liked it well enough but found it not a terribly strong novel. It perhaps has too many echoes of The Warrior's Apprentice in the latter half of the book, but it benefits from a cast of characters that includes some from the prior stories, although mostly in limited ways. I liked getting a better handle on the emperor Gregor here. I'll certainly be reading more in the Vorkosigan saga.
Read/remarks from Feb 2010, I enjoyed other books in the series much more ( )
  RBeffa | Jun 8, 2015 |
Entertaining, thrilling, funny. ( )
  kenzen | Feb 23, 2015 |
Humorous novel that tells how Miles gets from Academy graduation to being a spy, by way of a substantial re-introduction to the Dendarii mercenaries and some time in the frozen tundra.

Not so many details of this one persist in my mind. Whether that is because I devoured it in a single day or because I actually liked it less than its predecessor, I can't be sure.... ( )
  pammab | Nov 28, 2014 |
Great reader, tangled web, & Miles is like a spastic spider running through it all. It's a lot of fun as Miles deals with his insubordination issues - not particularly well as most would guess. He does try hard, though. It's not his fault they give him the wrong orders. (His words, not mine.)

It's a series & if you want to find out more about it, I suggest you read it in chronological order. The list is here:

It's much better than the published order. Bujold has done a marvelous job filling in the cracks & her writing has gotten better all the time.
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidd, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mom.
"Ship Duty!" chortled the ensign four ahead of Miles in line.
Elena's eye lit with a skewed enthusiasm. "Dear God, Miles. Metzov--Oser--Ungari--all in a row--you sure are hard on your commanding officers. What are you going to do when the time comes to let them all out?"
"I can't help it, sir, if people give me the wrong orders."
. . . She looked positively seductive. Miles eased cautiously back in the cushions and tried to look seduceable. . . .

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671720147, Mass Market Paperback)

Miles manages to graduate from the Academy. His reward? A first post on Kyril Island, predicting and combating the local weather and his commanding officer's homicidal moods. His reputation and stunted form further battered by both, Illyan finds a way to combine (sort of) Miles's two lives as Lord Vorkosigan and Admiral Naismith--great for Miles, but a little hard on his commanding officers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:05 -0400)

Miles Vorkosigan graduates from the Barrayaran Military Academy with high expectations of ship command, but is disappointed with an assignment as meteorologist to Lazkowski Base, an arctic training camp. His tenure in the windy, snow-covered north is cut short when Miles narrowly averts a massacre between the trigger-happy base commander and mutinous recruits. After a brief stay under 'house arrest', Miles is re-assigned to investigate a suspicious military build-up near a wormhole nexus. Reviving his undercover persona as mercenary Admiral Miles Naismith, his routine information-gathering duty expands to a rescue mission when the Emperor of Barrayar disappears during a political conference on a nearby space station. Miles must use his considerable negotiating skills to avoid a showdown between competing powers for control of the wormhole, find the Emperor ... and watch his back for the arctic base commander seeking bloody vengeance.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,866,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible