Il gioco dei Vor (The Vor Game, 1990) by…

Il gioco dei Vor (The Vor Game, 1990) (edition 2007)

by Lois McMaster Bujold

1,793None3,887 (4.15)1 / 83
Member:senio
Title:Il gioco dei Vor (The Vor Game, 1990)
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Info:Nord (2007), Perfect Paperback

The Vor Game by Lois McMaster Bujold

adventure (13) audiobook (12) Barrayar (12) bujold (27) ebook (24) fantasy (21) fiction (148) Hugo (14) Hugo Award (18) hugo winner (14) Kindle (10) Miles (10) Miles Vorkosigan (47) military (32) military sf (27) novel (16) own (13) paperback (23) read (32) science fiction (456) series (34) sf (141) sff (46) signed (11) space opera (88) speculative fiction (10) to-read (11) Vorkosigan (140) Vorkosigan Saga (29) vorkosiverse (12)

English (37)  Italian (1)  All languages (38)
3.5 stars

Wow. Miles Vorkosigan sure can get in a lot of trouble! The Vor Game won the Hugo Award for best science fiction novel. I listened to this series in audiobook format. Very entertaining! ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Miles, poor brittle boned short statured genius. He is a most lovable character and I can't believe how much I enjoy him. I totally enjoyed Shards of Honor with Cordelia and Aral Vorkosigan, Miles' parents, the intrigue and strong but not overwhelming sci-fi was perfect, but Miles is quite a character who is at once funny, brilliant, crafty, endearing, and cunning among other things. I look forward to more books featuring him and his happenstance exploits. ( )
  khaalidah | Mar 14, 2014 |
Pretty good story, and only used "sardonic" three times,w which its still excessive, but better than the last one. ( )
  duende | Feb 6, 2014 |
Miles graduates from the academy and then is stationed to the North pole where he runs into trouble with the commander there. Enjoyable, but really for younger readers. I would have loved this when I was fourteen, but now it just seems ok. ( )
  stuart10er | Sep 27, 2013 |
Although I took a break while reading this in order to gorge on movies and TV, I really did enjoy it at least as much as The Warrior's Apprentice. Miles was a bit more grown-up in this one, and had a better idea of just how much trouble he could get himself into.

The story was a little exhausting, it moved so fast. I started off thinking that the entire book would take place on Kyril Island, with Miles learning how to do his new job, attempting to figure out the secret to convincing less-intelligent soldiers to follow you rather than work against you, and trying to keep his commanding officer from making his life miserable. The stuff on Kyril Island was fantastic, and I admit to being a little disappointed that Miles wasn't there longer. I would have liked to see more of him learning to work with regular soldiers, on their level, without a bodyguard and his status as Vor as safety nets. Plus, I enjoyed the dangerous environment.

Miles tried to do as he was told, but the situation kept changing, getting out of control, and basically making it impossible for him obey his original orders without someone dying. Although I wasn't always able to follow the larger conflicts very well and got completely lost during the final space battle, I was able to follow the series of events that propelled Miles through the story just fine. It was exciting to see Miles take on his Admiral Naismith identity again, and it was nice to see how things had changed among the Dendarii Mercenaries. I'll be curious to see whether Miles stops thinking of Elena all the time in later books, now that he's gotten a chance to see her again and realizes that she's very different from the girl he once loved. In this book, she felt less like someone playing at being tough, and more like someone who was actually tough. She also seemed to have a more jaded (but still, I think, positive) opinion of Miles.

I could imagine Cavilo making another appearance in the series, although she might be too greedy and self-serving to ever morph into someone Miles could call an ally. She was a twisty opponent who was so fascinating to watch in action that it wasn't until I finished the book that I realized I hardly knew anything about her as a person. What sort of life had she led, prior to the events of this book? She was clearly used to using her looks, to people seeing her beauty and small stature and underestimating her razor sharp mind.

All in all, I'm still loving this series and looking forward to reading the rest of the books, all of which I now own. While I can't wait to read more about Miles, I think I'll jump back in time and read the books about his parents first – Bujold keeps referencing events prior to Miles' birth, and not knowing all the details bothers me.

(Original review, with read-alikes and watch-alikes, posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Sep 24, 2013 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidd, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mom.
"Ship Duty!" chortled the ensign four ahead of Miles in line.
Elena's eye lit with a skewed enthusiasm. "Dear God, Miles. Metzov--Oser--Ungari--all in a row--you sure are hard on your commanding officers. What are you going to do when the time comes to let them all out?"
"I can't help it, sir, if people give me the wrong orders."
. . . She looked positively seductive. Miles eased cautiously back in the cushions and tried to look seduceable. . . .
Information from the Lithuanian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671720147, Mass Market Paperback)

Miles manages to graduate from the Academy. His reward? A first post on Kyril Island, predicting and combating the local weather and his commanding officer's homicidal moods. His reputation and stunted form further battered by both, Illyan finds a way to combine (sort of) Miles's two lives as Lord Vorkosigan and Admiral Naismith--great for Miles, but a little hard on his commanding officers.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:17 -0400)

Miles Vorkosigan graduates from the Barrayaran Military Academy with high expectations of ship command, but is disappointed with an assignment as meteorologist to Lazkowski Base, an arctic training camp. His tenure in the windy, snow-covered north is cut short when Miles narrowly averts a massacre between the trigger-happy base commander and mutinous recruits. After a brief stay under 'house arrest', Miles is re-assigned to investigate a suspicious military build-up near a wormhole nexus. Reviving his undercover persona as mercenary Admiral Miles Naismith, his routine information-gathering duty expands to a rescue mission when the Emperor of Barrayar disappears during a political conference on a nearby space station. Miles must use his considerable negotiating skills to avoid a showdown between competing powers for control of the wormhole, find the Emperor ... and watch his back for the arctic base commander seeking bloody vengeance.… (more)

Current discussions

Vorkosigan Group Read: Young Miles in 2014 Category Challenge

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,484,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible