Finding Magic by Stacia Kane
5319221,808 (3.98)None

Different from what I usually read, but interesting enough to get me to read the first one in the series. ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |
Meh. Not my favorite. I enjoyed the first half more than the second. Felt like it was a bit too far-fetched and that made it hard to take any of the characters seriously. ( )
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
Oh Chessie, I just want to get you some therapy, you tortured little monkey. Seriously, I know this is a fantasy world but I can't believe the church would not offer any counselling after an 18 year old witnesses multiple murders. I would still totally read a novel set in this time period though. ( )
  cherrybob_omb | Sep 23, 2013 |
Finding Magic (Downside Ghosts, #0.5) RATING: 3.5 stars.

Finding Magic takes place before book one (way before), Unholy Ghosts. Chess is 18 and still a student/ trainee in the Church. Due to her good grades she is offered a chance to train with members of a Black Squad. She is soon involved in an investigation about some murders possibly committed by ghosts.

This novella was a quick read. It's interesting mostly because it explores Chess's early years in the Church. We are told a bit more about her childhood, about how she views the world and even the beginnings (somewhat) of her addiction. We also learn how she became a Debunker and met Elder Griffin.So basically, this is a good book (or novella) to start for people who want to read this series. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
Great look at a young Chess. She has no luck working with the Black Squad. ( )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |

When eighteen-year-old Chess Putnam is offered the chance to train with a special team of investigators known as the Black Squad, she feels torn. She's never been a team player and hates how one male Inquisitor condescends to "the new kid." But at her first bloody crime scene, she gets a taste for investigation--and is hooked on the high. Though the seasoned Inquisitors consider the series of ghost murders random events, Chess starts to detect a pattern. Is a psycho killer summoning ghosts from the City of Eternity and using them as murder weapons? As Chess gets closer to the dark truth, she puts herself in grave danger and risks losing everything she's fought so hard for.… (more)

Stacia Kane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,881,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible