How to Hook & Launch: Traction Mods for…

How to Hook & Launch: Traction Mods for Street & Strip (S-A Design) (edition 2012)

by Dick Miller

541,436,638 (4)None
Member:chacla
Title:How to Hook & Launch: Traction Mods for Street & Strip (S-A Design)
Authors:Dick Miller
Info:S-A Design (2012), Paperback, 128 pages

How to Hook & Launch: Traction Mods for Street & Strip (S-A Design) by Dick Miller

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as part of the Early Reviewers program. I perused the book and then gave it to my husband who is in the process of rebuilding a 78 Mustang II. He thought that although the book contains a lot of information, it's limited to the one car that the author has worked with. Pictures are good but more breadth in the subject matter is needed. ( )
  spacmann | Jan 10, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
How To Hook and Launch: Traction Mods for Street & Strip, written by Dick Miller, is a very specialized book for the drag racing enthusiast. The term ‘hook and launch’ describes the process by which a car starts from a standstill with optimal traction (hook) translating into maximal forward motion (launch). The better the car can ‘hook’ into the ground, the faster it will ‘launch’ down the drag strip to victory.

While it sounds rather simple, Mr. Miller explains that the physics behind drag racing is extremely complex, and that it can have a tremendous impact on the end result. He includes pictures which graphically support his writing. For example, he shows how not compensating for all the various forces at work in the car - from the engine to the driveshaft and rear axle - can nearly roll a car as it accelerates. He also has some impressive pictures of cars which had enough traction but not enough forward compensation to keep their front ends from rising too high. One Mustang looks as if it were about to flip over!

I like pictures.

The majority of this book addresses modifications necessary to the suspension and tires. In the latter portion of the book, Mr. Miller discusses other components of the automobile which can be adjusted or augmented in order to increase the chance of victory. Miller is quite outspoken about what he prefers, but he does write with forty years of experience in this field. As he explains in the book, he has basically used the same kind of automobile for all those years, and has tried a lot of different parts in the quest for more speed with control. Forty years experience is something I would not scoff at.

This book made me realize just how much there is to an automobile that I don't understand. After a while, I concluded that this book is a lot like any medical textbook, where if one does not understand the terminology, it is very difficult to appreciate what the author is saying. But this book was not written for folks like myself who have enough trouble remembering to get the oil changed on our cars regularly. I would recommend this book for the serious drag racer who wants to win. ( )
  19vatermit64 | Nov 17, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book should appeal to the serious drag racer in search of information on how to properly set up the suspension for the best performance . I have only a casual interest in the sport, but enjoyed the anecdotes of the racers and car builders that live this obsession.
  chacla | Nov 6, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
If you want to turn your car into a racecar with all the right tools, then this is the book for you!
I read this book with my father and we couldn't get enough of it. It has it all from visuals to help you go step by step on how to modify your car, lists of ways on how to hook it up and just information galore. This book is a must for racing fans everywhere interested in hooking and launching thier mods for the streets. ( )
  Clx.Bkwrm | Oct 17, 2012 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

How to Hook and Launch by Dick Miller was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible