Tenth of December: Stories by George…

Tenth of December: Stories

by George Saunders

Recently added byKatie_Roscher, private library, jeeves1215, WilliamReinhart, BruceLove, ravengirl, wh1, klovering

English (133)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (135)
There are two or three really very good stories here, especially the title story. The rest were pretty meh, although I did really appreciate how each story tried to explore our nation's class divide. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
His writing style is so natural that it makes you think, "If I wrote a book, it would be just like this", except, no, no it wouldn't, because what he does is actually SO HARD and you could not do it AT ALL. ( )
  Katie80 | Oct 8, 2018 |
Definitely one of the better short story collections I've read. Saunders has a way with language that makes it seem just so easy, almost an afterthought. Take the lady who wore mis-matched shoes on accident and you read into it super deep- did she only have those two? Did her cat piss in the mate to the one she really likes and can't bear to go without it? Maybe she was too distracted with her incredible morning love-making with a brand new vibrator...color? purple, definitely a purple vibe sort of gal. And now you are caught in this crazy stream-of-consciousness imagining about all the whys and the hows. This is how a George Saunders story works as he takes just this simple base and spirals out from there with gut-punching emotion and connection to the reader. I can see where others might find this spiraling annoying but I loved every second. Each story in his collection is likeable for different reasons. That is pretty cool to me. ( )
  ambersnowpants | Aug 23, 2018 |
Un homme-cobaye prisonnier d'un laboratoire, un lycéen rêveur, un manager, un employé d'un parc d'attractions e quelques femmes au bord de la crise de nerfs, tels sont les (anti-) héros de ce livre dans lequel l'absurde règne en maître.
  ACParakou | May 31, 2018 |
Intricately constructed to the extent of obscuring characterization but fascinating nonetheless. Several of the stories will stick in my mind for quite awhile. Found it impossible to read more than one in an evening. On the other hand, much of it seemed quirky for quirk's sake. Would have preferred straight scifi than this somewhat awkward mix of imagination, odd structure, and remarkably unpleasant people and outcomes. ( )
  abycats | May 11, 2018 |
No one writes more powerfully than George Saunders about the lost, the unlucky, the disenfranchised, those Americans who struggle to pay the bills, make the rent, hold onto a job they might detest — folks who find their dreams slipping from their grasp as they frantically tread water, trying to keep from drowning.

George Saundersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lovell, JoelForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Pat Pacino
Three days shy of her fifteenth birthday, Alison Pope paused at the top of the stairs.
Based on the experience of my life, which I have not exactly hit out of the park, I tend to agree with that thing about, If it's not broke, don't fix it. And would go even further to: Even if it is broke, leave it alone, you'll probably make it worse.

One of the most important and blazingly original writers of his generation, George Saunders is an undisputed master of the short story, and Tenth of December is his most honest, accessible, and moving collection yet.

In the taut opener, “Victory Lap,” a boy witnesses the attempted abduction of the girl next door and is faced with a harrowing choice: Does he ignore what he sees, or override years of smothering advice from his parents and act? In “Home,” a combat-damaged soldier moves back in with his mother and struggles to reconcile the world he left with the one to which he has returned. And in the title story, a stunning meditation on imagination, memory, and loss, a middle-aged cancer patient walks into the woods to commit suicide, only to encounter a troubled young boy who, over the course of a fateful morning, gives the dying man a final chance to recall who he really is. A hapless, deluded owner of an antiques store; two mothers struggling to do the right thing; a teenage girl whose idealism is challenged by a brutal brush with reality; a man tormented by a series of pharmaceutical experiments that force him to lust, to love, to kill—the unforgettable characters that populate the pages of Tenth of December are vividly and lovingly infused with Saunders’s signature blend of exuberant prose, deep humanity, and stylistic innovation.

Writing brilliantly and profoundly about class, sex, love, loss, work, despair, and war, Saunders cuts to the core of the contemporary experience. These stories take on the big questions and explore the fault lines of our own morality, delving into the questions of what makes us good and what makes us human.

Unsettling, insightful, and hilarious, the stories in Tenth of December—through their manic energy, their focus on what is redeemable in human beings, and their generosity of spirit—not only entertain and delight; they fulfill Chekhov’s dictum that art should “prepare us for tenderness.”

A collection of stories which includes "Home," a wryly whimsical account of a soldier's return from war; "Victory lap," a tale about an inventive abduction attempt; and the title story, in which a suicidal cancer patient saves the life of a young misfit.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

George Saunders's book Tenth of December was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,667,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible